Sign in to follow this  
dhun

Burroughs and the NFL

There are a significant and increasing number of impact players in the NFL around Burroughs height.

https://www.bsports.com/statsinsights/nfl/why-have-nfl-running-backs-gotten-shorter-a-statistical-investigation#.VSxI1pMsAsJ

The author suggests this trend is likely a function of increased passing and lists a number who were active one weekend in 2013: RB Ray Rice (5’8”), 49ers RBs Frank Gore (5’9”) and LaMichael James (5’9”), Patriots RBs Danny Woodhead (5’8”) and Shane Vereen (5’9”) and Falcons RBs Michael Turner (5’10”) and Jacquizz Rodgers (5’6”).

I would say Burroughs athletic ability is on par with those listed, but he would have to prove that he has (1) speed and (2) hands. It would be fun to watch.

At the high school level, I have noticed that the wrestling recruits from the football team that work out the best are often the running backs.

Burroughs would have to put on a significant amount of muscle/weight, too.  Almost all of those guys were 200lb or more at their respective NFL combines.  Even out of competition/weight cutting, Burroughs is still light compared to most of those guys.

NFL combine weights (I'd guess most are heavier now, some significantly):  Rice - 199lb, Gore 210lb, James 194lb, Woodhead 197lb, Vereen 210lb, Turner 237lb, Rodgers 188lb. 

Weight wise he is closer to a cornerback but 5'8" would make him one of the shortest, if not shortest cornerback in the league.  Tyrann Mathieu (honey badger) was 5' 8 3/4" and 186lb at the NFL combine and he is one of the smallest DBs in the league.  Just looking at recent drafts, most cornerbacks are in the 5'10"-6'1" and 190-200lb range.  Need to get bigger guys to cover those tall WRs, the 5'8", 175lb cornerback is no more. 

Now if he can run the 40 in under 4.45 and doesn't have bricks for hands, that changes things. 

his chances are directly proportional to his speed and jumping ability. corner would be his best shot.

There is just way too much competition at corner.   Burroughs best bet is any position where the depth is the least.   Something like place holder would give him the best chance at making a team and he could justify the spot by being an outstanding special teams player.   

He just is NOT going to make a skill position.   

180 pound safety?   He wouldn't last into week 2.   Some big tight end would steam roll him and put him on injured reserve.   Hell, a quarter back could scramble and get into the secondary and then cream Burroughs into submission.   Imagine Tebow lowering the boom on Burroughs and that's all she wrote as Tebow gallops into the end zone as Jordan's head bounces away from his lifeless body.   

There probably isn't a better position for Burroughs in the NFL than place holder.   

180 pound safety?   He wouldn't last into week 2.   Some big tight end would steam roll him and put him on injured reserve.   Hell, a quarter back could scramble and get into the secondary and then cream Burroughs into submission.   Imagine Tebow lowering the boom on Burroughs and that's all she wrote as Tebow gallops into the end zone as Jordan's head bounces away from his lifeless body.   

There probably isn't a better position for Burroughs in the NFL than place holder.   

Burroughs could take Tebow down easily and at will.

Burroughs is already a bulked up 163 pounder. Burroughs is a hair bigger than Rudy, let's be real guys. Unless he can run a 4.1 40 then he has no shot-none. He is to short for punter also. I mean I think Varner is a bit small so c'mon this thread is not based in reality. Football, particularly the NFL level is reserved for insanely athletic 97k guys and athletic 125k guys. If you are smaller say under 190 then you have to be the flash!  

Edited by PRyan2012

Burroughs is already a bulked up 163 pounder. Burroughs is a hair bigger than Rudy, let's be real guys. Unless he can run a 4.1 40 then he has no shot-none. He is to short for punter also. I mean I think Varner is a bit small so c'mon this thread is not based in reality. Football, particularly the NFL level is reserved for insanely athletic 97k guys and athletic 125k guys. If you are smaller say under 190 then you have to be the flash!  

How do you know he doesn't walk around at 190-200 before cutting for competition?

Burroughs is not 200 lbs when he is not cutting. No way! 175-180 maybe. 163 is perfect for him. He usually is on the small side of his weight. All that muscle he put on is in line with his small frame. He would be more ideal at 154 if he had to do it but since he is the best he get s to eat somewhat normally. I would say his fit non wrestling weight is 175.

Guest ShannonSofield

If he could run <4.4 and jump >38 inches up, he has the physical attributes to play in the NFL. I highly doubt he has those attributes.

He has the jump at least, this is 54" (yes, I know you were not referring to a box jump):

Edited by ShannonSofield

You'd be surprised.  You would think that a high box jump would mean a high vertical, but that really isn't the case.  They are correlated, sure, but not even close to 1 to 1.  JB is pretty damn athletic, but he isn't NFL type athletic.  I'd guess his vertical is on the lower side of the 30's..  

Burroughs best shot in the NFL is the same as ours, at long snapper.

We all love Jordan, but to think he'd make a NFL roster without any high level football experience is being delusional. Compare it to a high level NFL player and NFL fans saying he could make the US Olympic wrestling team. No chance.

I saw JJ Watt jump from a flat footed start to the top of a 4-drawer chest on one of the night talk shows.

Burroughs would need to be 4.4 or faster to play cornerback or wide receiver ( slot) . His quickness would be his biggest assest besides being an excellent tackler. I ran the football dorm at OU when the Selmon brothers were there, and OU won two national titles in football.

There were wrestlers who if they had been bigger could have been football players. In fact Jimbo Elrod did, i convinced Barry Switzer to give him a football scholarship, even though his staff said he'd never be a player. I told Barry, i don't want to see OSU putting on the mat against us. Jimbo won the 190 pound varsity spot as a freshman, then went out that spring and earned the starting spot at defensive end in the 5-2, what is now called the 3-4. He played about 5 years in the NFL.

It is too late for Burroughs. The spread offenses are making it a premium for lighter, faster, and quicker linemen and linebackers in both high school and college. The NFL is hsving a hard time finding big defensive linemen now. Wrestlers will excel because of thei ability to tackle in open space.