Sign in to follow this  
headlock

Relax potentially dangerous.

Watching the World Cup, one of the biggest differences I notice is the lack of potentially dangerous. This allows for the offensive wrestler to score even when the defensive wrestler puts himself in a bad position. In Folkstyle, just bend your bend a little bit and they stop it. On bottom, just wiggle your shoulder and wince, they stop it. Part of the reason Logan Steiber and Bo Jordan turn so many people is because refs allow them to work their holds on top. I've seen vastly more refs stop Bo Jordan's power half with other wrestlers, but allow Bo to work it. Obviously Bo has yet to injure someone so the refs are correct in letting him go to town on those shoulders. With all the complaint on funk positions and lack of turning on top, would a relaxation of potentially dangerous cure some of college wrestlings problems?

i did not watch the world cup, but i do know the move arsenal is so much different in freestyle compared to folkstyle.

in freestyle you dont see guys running bar arms, power halfs, funking/scrambling and bending limbs in ways they're not supposed to go. you see more leg lacing and gut wrenches which is just rolling around on the mat

Edited by lurshy92

The only time potentially dangerous should be called is when the defensive wrestler has no where to go. To many times its called when a guy is about to go to his back and he winces or when a guy is in on someones legs and the other guy dives back for the other wrestlers ankles putting his own knee in a weird situation. If it hurts that bad wouldnt you just roll to your back to avoid it?

Let world class wrestlers do whatever they want.  Since this is a college forum, the debate concerns mostly college wrestlers, the majority of whom are not world class.  

Potentially dangerous protects student athletes.  I limp after runs and have had two shoulder surgeries since college.  I see guys I grew up with who were not athletic at all killing it in the gym and running weekend races.  They feel great, look great and are loving life.  I often wonder if wrestling was worth it because I can't do half the activities I could when I was younger specifically because my joints are so beat up.  I know I am not exactly a minority in this either.  Friends who wrestled in college also have problems with their shoulders and knees.  

Watching a wrestler's shoulder get mangled by a power-half for a full minute is not really entertaining.  Fans in the know will cringe and the general public will have no clue what that struggle entails and will say it is boring.  There is no real benefit to loosening up the restrictions I can think of.  Some more points may be scored, but I often think it is similar to a stalemate position where there is no real chance of scoring.  

I understand there is a certain amount of pain and pressure that have to be acceptable but I don't see any problem with where that level is at the moment.  Just my 2 cents   

World class wrestlers such as the Iranians specifically work on attacking joints.

If that is true, then why were none of the Iranian wrestlers at the worlds, Olympics, or the world cup attacking the oppositions joint ROM to score?