Sign in to follow this  
SEmixer

Juco Transfers

Anyone have any insight on the Juco champs and ability to move to D1 and have an impact? I saw some names of guys who won and of guys that didn't win headed to D1 programs but was curious as to thoughts on all the champs 125-Hvy and their ability.

125 Rodriguez Iowa Lakes

133 Russ Nassau

141 Alfau Iowa Central

149 Pozo Niacc

157 Mejia Niacc

165 Carr headed to UTC

174 Smith NE OK A&M

184 Hoffman Iowa Central

197 Downey Iowa Central Obvious ability and can compete right away

285 Kornoely N. Idaho

Bryce Carr to Chatt is a good move. Chatts still a relitively young team only losing Boyle and Soto, but keeping most every one else. Especially after Mock being dismissed they had a gigantic hole at 65, hopefully Carr can keep his weight down and fill that hole. Or redshirt and move some of the bigger boys around.

Rodriguez is going to Oklahoma. I like him, but Thomas Gilman beat him 21-8 so I am not sure how he will translate on an AA level.

It is my understanding that a big part of Mark Cody's coaching credentials is based on developing wrestlers above expectations. This may well be a test of those abilities.

Dylan Reel from Clackamas is headed to Oregon State next season.

Eleazar DeLuca of Clackamas is joining former Clackamas national champ Trent Noon at Northern Colorado.

Adrian Salas (Clovis/Clackamas) is headed to Boise State, or so I have read.

Is anyone else seeing that it is becoming more and more difficult for NJCAA champs to make All-American status on the DI level? Any thoughts on that?

Somewhat off topic but I miss the days when Div II champs qualified for the Div I tourney. Watching schools such as Cal-Bakersfiels and Omaha-Neb produce champions and AAs added a sense of the underdog overachieving to the general excitement of the event.

American had Muzzafar, while Clarion had Bekzod, Muzz's younger brother. Both attended Colby CC in Kansas. 

The point is that even with a year or two years of collegiate wrestling under their belts, it's becoming more and more difficult for NJCAA All-Americans to make an impact upon the DI scene as they had in years past. Heck, even the lower end NJCAA AAs (5-8) don't always find the transition to NCAA wrestling at any level all that easy. 

Edited by Tofurky

American had Muzzafar, while Clarion had Bekzod, Muzz's younger brother. Both attended Colby CC in Kansas. 

The point is that even with a year or two years of collegiate wrestling under their belts, it's becoming more and more difficult for NJCAA All-Americans to make an impact upon the DI scene as they had in years past. Heck, even the lower end NJCAA AAs (5-8) don't always find the transition to NCAA wrestling at any level all that easy. 

Yeah, I completely agree.  Having been a JUCO transfer, I tend to follow them.  It has been awhile since JUCO transfers have made a dramatic impact into the seen.  Besides the Uzbek brothers, Colon, and Covington the last impact transfer was Brock Lesnar.  In my era (mid-late '90s) we had Tony Davis, TJ Williams, Stan Greene, Yero Washington, and probably more but the Internet wasn't running as it is now.

Yeah, I completely agree.  Having been a JUCO transfer, I tend to follow them.  It has been awhile since JUCO transfers have made a dramatic impact into the seen.  Besides the Uzbek brothers, Colon, and Covington the last impact transfer was Brock Lesnar.  In my era (mid-late '90s) we had Tony Davis, TJ Williams, Stan Greene, Yero Washington, and probably more but the Internet wasn't running as it is now.

Don't forget Kelvin Jackson!!  1995 NCAA Champ 118lbs