Sign in to follow this  
BraunMann

Possible To Reign In Wrestling and MMA Concurrently?

Do you think it would ever be possible for a wrestler to be so dominant in freestyle wrestling, that the could use that skill and transfer it to MMA and control fights to the extent where they may not always get submissions, but dominate control of the fight?

Or is MMA so specialized nowadays that someone like Burroughs would get put in a kimura or other submission hold against a solid opponent, despite their wrestling skill?

Give it a try and let us know how it works out.  Be sure to post the date, time and location of your first fight.  Maybe get Bob Dole on the undercard.

Hopefully your streaming service will be up and running for the fights.

It's possible to be high level at both sports at the same time but I don't think it's possible to just be an elite freestyler and dominate MMA with no striking or submission skills

Kevin Jackson lost his UFC title fight in like 7 seconds versus Frank Shamrock back in the day, 1998 or so. He took Frank down and then got submitted. Kevin Jackson actually trained MMA and had a number of fights and even some submission wins by then I believe. Things have evolved a lot since then so it would be even harder today.

Edited by manyak

Now ufc has all complete athletes so a striker trains wrestling and submission, an elite bjj black belt trains wrestling and striking....

Russians freestyle wrestlers like Nurmagomrdov, Andrey Koreshkov ,Bagautinov and the american Aaron Pico have also Pankration background. Pankration is a mixture of wrestling, grappling and full contact striking.

Edited by WreslingSuperior

Dan Severn and Mark Coleman did it in the early days of UFC.

Dan Servern was in the early days, before there were weight classes.  It was almost billed as style versus style.  There were karate guys, sumo wrestlers, wrestlers, jujitsu and so on.  If i recall, the Sumo guy got his teeth kicked out by some karate guy.  The original UFC was nothing like it is today.  I think biting and eye gouging were the only things that we not allowed. 

ask Cary Kolat

Ask Marcelo Garcia, the best ever in bjj/grappling.

There aren't invincible styles or fighters but wrestling (freestyle/ folk) is the dominant background in the world of mma since 1995. Russians wrestlers have also pankration or combat sambo experience and it is an advantage. Professional pankration is mma with few rules and money.

Edited by WreslingSuperior

This is really two questions:

1) Can a world champion wrestler become a world champion MMArtist with few skills outside wrestling?

The answer is no. 

2) Can a person be both a world freestyle champion and world MMA champion at the same time?

The answer is no. Just ask yourself if any current MMA champions or contenders could also be world freestyle champions. I think guys like Cejudo, Weidman, and Romero would get the closest. But not that close. 

Edited by Katie

This is really two questions:

1) Can a world champion wrestler become a world champion MMArtist with few skills outside wrestling?

The answer is no.

2) Can a person be both a world freestyle champion and world MMA champion at the same time?

The answer is no. Just ask yourself if any current MMA champions or contenders could also be world freestyle champions. I think guys like Cejudo, Weidman, and Romero would get the closest. But not that close.

I disagree with your first answer, Askren is not a world champion in wrestling, and he is doing very good, champion on ONEfc, he was a dominant champion on Bellator, and he is clearly very capable of being an UFC champion. He is basically one dimensional, with just a few skills outside of wrestling. Though I think folkstyle wrestling is a better base for MMA than freestyle, because of the mat wrestling, riding, where a wrestler understands how to control a person on the ground putting a lot of pressure. Edited by Axe_Spartan

I disagree with your first answer, Askren is not a world champion in wrestling, and he is doing very good, champion of ONEfc, he was a dominant champion of Bellator, and he is clearly very capable of being an UFC champion. He is basically one dimensional, with just a few skills outside of wrestling. Though I think folkstyle wrestling is a better base for MMA than freestyle, because of the mat wrestling, riding, where a wrestler understands how to control a person on the ground putting a lot of pressure.

Askren wasn't even close to being a world champion wrestler, so he's not in the conversation. 

Askren's also been fighting professionally since 2009, so he's been training in other disciplines for a while now. 

Edited by Katie

Askren wasn't even close to being a world champion wrestler.

Yes, and yet he is a dominant fighter in the welterweight division in MMA nowadays using just his wrestling and some grappling skills, and a lot of people would agree with me that he is very capable of being a UFC champion. Edited by Axe_Spartan

Yes, and yet he is a dominant fighter in the welterweight division in MMA nowadays using just his wrestling and some grappling skills, and a lot of people would agree with me that he is very capable of being a UFC champion.

It doesn't matter how you think Askren fights because he was never close to being a world champion. Askren is not in the conversation, period.