Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Way too early 2015-2016 DI Prognostications!

Who will win it all next year?  If you ask FlyingTiger or CtMopar it won't even be close.  If only Willie still posted on here, Iowa would win by at least 50 pts.  tOSU fans are too level headed to BOLDLY pick a repeat.  Is this the year scribe's Big Red can put it all together?  I don't think we will read much from the Minnesota faithful, if they finish top 10 after what they lose it will be impressive.  Finally don't sleep on OkState.  Tognetti may be posting a lot on the Iowa rivals board come March of 2016!

My roster predictions and Top 5:

5.)Cornell

125:Garrett-Cornell needs him to be able to manage this weight cut better next season.  Grey just didn't look good up at 141.  Macri is very solid, but I don't think him being in the lineup at 125 is what's best for the Big Red. 

133:Grey-As long as the line up allows him to stay at 133, he will AA.

141:Little Realbuto?  This may be a whole in plain sight, but I don't think a Macri, Garrett, Grey lineup scores as much as Garrett and Grey score at 125-133.

149:Cisneros-Time for the big name to step to the plate.

157:Realbuto-He may not have deserved to be in the finals, but he may still be the 2nd best guy in the weight class.

165:Palacio-Healthy and hungry he is top 6.

174:Picket-Had some moments. Garcia could push him.  If he continues to improve 174 has thinned out enough to make a run at the podium.

184:Dean-Had a couple early blips but finished on top.  I see a Dake like(undefeated) run in his last 2 seasons.

197:Taylor?  Don't have the inside info to see how this weight shapes up.

285:  See 197

They have some holes that need addressing but have serious star power.  Garrett, Realbuto and Dean have good chances to make the finals. Grey and Palacio could AA very high.  If someone surprises, and Cornell has recent history in both Simaz and Dean, in their 1st season, Cornell could be in the hunt Saturday night.

4.)Iowa

125:Gilman-Gritty and polarizing.  Very tough kid, but 125 will be just as deep and may be even deeper if Megaludis comes back.  He will be in the hunt but 3-6 range is more likely.

133:Clark-He has the never give up mentality Iowa has been known for.  With the depth at 133, I never gave him a chance to make the finals.  As impressed as I was with him, I think he will be hard pressed to duplicate that accomplishment.

141:Legal issues really hurt the Hawkeyes here.  Carton looks to be it by default.  Solid kid, but may not score at NCAA's.

149:Sorenson-Stay at this weight.  Depending on if Stieber comes back close to 100% this kid is either a finalist or top 3 finisher.

157:Grothus-Tried all he could do to help the team.  This will be his year to win a couple matches at NCAA's.

165:Paddock?-Rumors swirling.  I am not sure Iowa insiders know who will end up here.

174:Meyer-Has an NHL quality hip check.  He is also a very good wrestler.  Should fill in very well for Evans.

184:Brooks-If he stays healthy, expect Top 5.  He got his feet wet this year and WILL build on that.

197:Burak-Unless health demands it, don't redshirt.  He may very well be the most consistent guy on this team and 197 has too much depth to let a 2X AA sit.

285:Stoll-The jury is out.  Mixed results.  Has a ton to prove.

Iowa will be a very strong dual meet team, but I just don't see big NCAA points.  Hopefully, this will finally be the year they lay low early and peak for NCAA's.  141, 157, 165 and 285 are too big of questions this early in the season to put them any higher.  They may actually do better coming from behind.

Top 3 to follow:

Edited by MSU158

3.)PSU-Admittedly this is my ideal lineup.  I don't think the lower weight guys have the muscle to have 3 of 4 move up.

125:Conaway-I just don't see PSU bumping this guy out of the lineup if Megaludis can OLY shirt.  Also, very similar to Cornell, a move to 133 and 141 for Conaway and Gulibon just doesn't look appealing.

133:Gulibon-If he can continue his rate of improvement he will be a serious challenger for the title next season. IF.

141:Retherford-Again rumored to move up.  My favorite to win 141 if he can manage the weight.

149:Beitz-Solid.

157:Nolf-Kid has showed major promise.  Still he will be a freshman.  He has to show he can handle the whole season grind.

165:Hammond/Rasheed-Not seeing much here come NCAA's.  Solid kids but fringe top 20 rarely scores more than 1 point at NCAA's.

174:Nickall-174 will be wide open.  Problem is I think Dierenger will be there.  Kid is very tough.  Still, see 157.

184:McCutcheon-Solid, but slightly inconsistent.  184 will be pretty deep.  He could go 1-2 or could take 5th.

197:McIntosh-I think he will be the best guy on this team.  Still, Cox, Snyder, Hartmann, Burak and Huntley(good chance for Medical) all return.  This will be one of the deeper weights.

285:Nevills-Another one of the big name freshman.  I am just not sold on freshman 285's.  Rarely do they excel for their entire 1st season.  Just ask Adam Coon.

I know many think this team IS clearly above the rest.  I think they have to prove they CAN be.  What they do from 125-149 could have major consequences, and I will continue to err on the side of caution when expecting freshman to finish top 4, especially at heavier weights.  This team will definitely be in the mix but I still am not sold they score much at 149, 184 and 285.  I also don't think they score nearly what is expected at 157 and 174.  If Megaludis Oly Shirts, they will have a total of 5 AA finishes(3rd, 5th, 5th, 7th and 8th) for all 10 guys combined.  They have a ton of talent, but even more to prove.  They are too unproven for me to put them any higher.

Edited by MSU158

2.tOSU

125:Tomasello-Returning champ. Will have his hands full repeating but he has the right mentality.  Top 4 for sure.

133:DiJulius-Will be next season's Courts.  133 thins out just enough for him to finally reach he podium.

141:????-Not even going to try to speculate.  If they score any points here I believe they will be quite happy.

149:Stieber-Kid has major talent and showed even more heart.  Let's hope his surgeons, physical therapists and strength and conditioning coaches can match that in their fields.

157:M. Jordan-Should fill in for Demas nicely.  Won't do worse.  Could do better.

165:Bo Jordan-If Dierenger goes to 174-He wins it all.

174:Martin-Simply a 12-16 ranked type guy.  Most would love to say that.  Still you end up being one of the weaker links of a NCAA Championship Team.

184:Courts-Can he replicate his breakout performance?  Winning breeds winners.  Winners breed winning.

197:Snyder-Will be extremely motivated next season.  You don't get thrown like that in the NCAA finals and not use it as motivation.  He will be very, very hard to beat.

285:Tavanello/Haines-A healthy Tavanello could fringe AA.  Do tOSU insiders even know what Haines can or will do?

They definitely lose an irreplaceable Stieber.  Still, they have definitive Champion caliber wrestlers in Tomasello, BoJo and Snyder.  A healthy enough H. Stieber is just as talented.  Courts and DiJulius should challenge for AA finishes.  This team has the experience at the NCAA tournament to warrant serious consideration.

1.)OkState

125:Klimara-This kid actually wrestles like he is riding the "White Lightning".  I kid, I kid.  Still, he looked really good and should reach the podium again.

133:Harding-Tough kid.  2-2 at NCAA's.  I don't expect a podium finish but he will threaten.

141:Heil-Everyone knew he was super talented. He brought it when it mattered most.  Expect him to finish top 5.

149:Collica-Gotta move back down.  I think he AA's if he can manage the weight correctly.

157:Blees-Will take his lumps.  Any points here will be a happy bonus for  OkState.

165:Marstellar-I always reserve predictions for Freshman.  Still, after seeing a FLO interview where he humbly talks about Dierenger, I really think this kid will be ready to prove all the hype wasn't misplaced.  I don't think he wins it all, but he will be high on the podium.

174:Dierenger-Now that Stieber is gone, he is the clear #1 in Collegiate Wrestling.  Expect 26+ from him at NCAA's next season.

184: Crutchmer/Boyd-It's gotta suck to finish 5th in the Nation and be forced to bump up a weight the very next season.  Still, he is good enough to produce at 184.

197:Schafer/Boyd-I think this is one of the cases where bumping up really will help the team.  Boyd competing with Schafer for the spot may actually produce an AA like the battle at 174 did last season.

285:Marsden-I honestly was shocked he didn't reach the podium.  This won't happen again.  Top 6 finish for sure.

It has been too long since Smith has won a Team Title. He is due.  He has been producing more with less over the past few seasons.  I think this is the season he has the more with more finish.  I see 7 AA's between Klimara, Heil, Collica, Marstellar, Dierenger, Crutchmer and Marsden.  With the point potential of Dierenger, I see them having a season very similar to tOSU last year.

Nice rundown, I agree with your guesses for most guys.  Here's what I'm wondering--based even on what you're laying out here, does Ok. State score more than OSU?  

Is Ok. State (5, 4, 6, 1, 5, 6) better than OSU (1, 6, 3, 2, 7, 1, 8)? I would expect Bo's bonus points to just about cancel out Dieringers. 

Ok. State

125) Klimara – 5th

133) Harding – R12

141) Heil – 4th

149) Collica – R12

157) Blees – DNP

165) Marstellar – 6th – DNP

174) Dieringer – 1st

184) Crutchmer  - 5th

197) Either guy – R12

285) Marsden – 6th

5, 4, 6, 1, 5, 6

Ohio State

125) Tomasello – 1st – 3rd

133) DiJulius – 6th - DNP

141) ??? – DNP

149) Stieber – 3rd - DNP

157) M Jordan – R12

165) Bo Jordan – 1st – 3rd

174) Martin – R12  

184) Courts – 6th – 8th

197) Snyder – 1st – 2nd

285) Tavanello – 7th - DNP

1, 6, 3, 2, 7, 1, 8

I think Nolf will do very well. I am not willing to say top 3 even, but I would be surprised if he doesn't at least aa. Marstellar is hard to judge. He is so talented, but between the weight cutting and possibly still dealing with a nagging injury, his rs season wasn't as impressive as most predicted. I hope the best for him, even though he didn't come to psu :). MSU, how do you think Mizz fits in this year coming up. Obviously they are losing a couple studs, and I do not really know their depth, but I wouldn't necesasrily be surprised with a top 5 from them.

As long as we are predicting and it's not a bet, young Smith comes on board, breaks into the OSU lineup and follows in the footsteps of his father and uncles. Stranger things have happened.

riding the white lightning is moonshine, no? i think you mean marching with the Bolivian band. 

"White Lightning" is a "legal" substitute for cocaine.  Since Klimara got off, one can only assume he was abiding by the law the entire time.  Also, wrestling like white lightning sounds a TON better than a "white lady"!

White Lightning is more commonly "slang" for LSD.

Edited by MSU158

cem5202,

Missouri is waaayyy too hard for me to predict.  I think it would be a challenge for those very close to the program to do so.  

There are rumors that all 3 of their returning AA's(Mayes, Miklus and Cox) may not even wrestle at the same weight classes next season.

Still for sake of this discussion,

125: McGhee/Brennan-Don't see much here.

133:Synon/Manley-Solid but 12-16 range usually doesn't score much at NCAA's. Manley may be slightly better if healthy.

141:Mayes/????  If he stays here and manages his weight well he finishes top 5.  Who knows if he bumps up.

149:Mayes/????If he bumps up to here he finishes 6-R12.  If not, no idea.

157:Lavallee-He is tough.  May actually do better when the team doesn't need his best to have a chance.

165:?????-Miklus has the name.  Still, I admittedly have no idea.

174:?????-No idea.

184:Miklus-Staying here with Cox at 197 is best for Missouri.  But, I am not sure it is best for his hunger pains.

197:Cox-Revenge at 197 or wrestle a giant like Coon or stud like Gwiz.  I say stay where you know you can be the best.

285:????????

I simply can't predict Missouri.  Similar to Minnesota, they will undoubtedly reload well but I don't have a clue this early how it will shake out.

Edited by MSU158

A few of the incoming class for Cornell include (in no particular order)  J oseph Galasso, Jon Jay Chavez, Dalton Macri, Dillon Artigliere, Jeremy Sweaney, Andrew Garcia, Brandon Womack, William Koll, and Jake Anderson.  I expect to see current freshmen Dylan Realbuto, Taylor Simaz, and Jake Taylor all scrappin' for a spot in the lineup, too.  Hard to say where some of these guys are after a year in the weight room; rumors are that Dalton Macri already has his eye in he spot being vacated by Villalonga.

Guest Kingsland

Could Macri really bump all the way from 125 to 149?

A few of the incoming class for Cornell include (in no particular order) J oseph Galasso, Jon Jay Chavez, Dalton Macri, Dillon Artigliere, Jeremy Sweaney, Andrew Garcia, Brandon Womack, William Koll, and Jake Anderson. I expect to see current freshmen Dylan Realbuto, Taylor Simaz, and Jake Taylor all scrappin' for a spot in the lineup, too. Hard to say where some of these guys are after a year in the weight room; rumors are that Dalton Macri already has his eye in he spot being vacated by Villalonga.

LkwdSteve,

I am not scoffing at high expectations for the three N's.  I expect them to do well.  I just don't expect them to do as well as tOSU's three did this year.  Even going into the NCAA Tournament I didn't expect them to do as well as they did.  As freshmen they exceeded all realistic expectations.  Still, I think it was fair for them to have higher expectations as they went undefeated and stayed much busier as true freshman.  In addition, 2 of the 3 competed at a high level in International competition.

Nolf, Nickall and Nevills may very well end up comparable.  Still, they would have to be almost perfect to do so.  They don't have near the competitive data as true freshman to compare.  Nolf wrestled the most, but he did take a loss to Green and he is coming into a weight where Martinez, Realbuto, Brascetta, Miller, Murphy, Minotti and Pack all return.  Nickall has looked solid, but his most notable wrestling to date is a close match with his teammate, who was a NCAA Champ.  Finally, Nevills is coming off injury.  He is a HWT.  You have to go back to Mocco to find a Freshman 285 who placed higher than 4th.  I am not sold Nevills is near Mocco's level.  These guys are very good.  I just am not ready to predict any to finish higher than 5th.

MSU,

I wasn't thinking about your post when I wrote that. I had in mind the scoffing at Ohio State fans who expected big things from their three freshmen captains, especially after two of them took their first early losses.

Penn State fans will have some high expectations.  Will be interesting to see if, and how much of, a parallel develops.

1.)OkState

125:Klimara-This kid actually wrestles like he is riding the "White Lightning".  I kid, I kid.  Still, he looked really good and should reach the podium again.

133:Harding-Tough kid.  2-2 at NCAA's.  I don't expect a podium finish but he will threaten.

141:Heil-Everyone knew he was super talented. He brought it when it mattered most.  Expect him to finish top 5.

149:Collica-Gotta move back down.  I think he AA's if he can manage the weight correctly.

157:Blees-Will take his lumps.  Any points here will be a happy bonus for  OkState.

165:Marstellar-I always reserve predictions for Freshman.  Still, after seeing a FLO interview where he humbly talks about Dierenger, I really think this kid will be ready to prove all the hype wasn't misplaced.  I don't think he wins it all, but he will be high on the podium.

174:Dierenger-Now that Stieber is gone, he is the clear #1 in Collegiate Wrestling.  Expect 26+ from him at NCAA's next season.

184: Crutchmer/Boyd-It's gotta suck to finish 5th in the Nation and be forced to bump up a weight the very next season.  Still, he is good enough to produce at 184.

197:Schafer/Boyd-I think this is one of the cases where bumping up really will help the team.  Boyd competing with Schafer for the spot may actually produce an AA like the battle at 174 did last season.

285:Marsden-I honestly was shocked he didn't reach the podium.  This won't happen again.  Top 6 finish for sure.

It has been too long since Smith has won a Team Title. He is due.  He has been producing more with less over the past few seasons.  I think this is the season he has the more with more finish.  I see 7 AA's between Klimara, Heil, Collica, Marstellar, Dierenger, Crutchmer and Marsden.  With the point potential of Dierenger, I see them having a season very similar to tOSU last year.

Chandler and Jordan Rogers both on the bench?

I think Gadson broke Snyder and Snyder will not be a threat to win NCAAs again.

Instructions for blocking a poster

1. Log in to your account

2. Click your name at the top of the page

3. Click "Manage Ignore Prefs"

4. Type the name of the poster to ignore, in this case BraunMann

5. Click the checkboxes to ignore Posts, Signature, and Messages

6. Click Save Changes and enjoy a much better message board experience