Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Way too early 2015-2016 DI Prognostications!

VakAttack,

I have both heard and read that Paddock may not be able to hold 165 and may not even be their best option at 165 if he does.  Rhoads has been brought up on multiple occasions.  You also have 3 incoming freshman in Moody, Erickson and Gunther.  What about little St. John?

Cornell:  I see Macri at 125 and Garrett moving up.  Macri had Conaway beat at an open earlier in the year and gassed in the 3rd which a grey shirt wrestler will do against a wrestler of Conaway's caliber.

PSU:  Bumping everyone up would be suicide.  Conaway probably doesn't AA at 133, Gulibon probably doesn't AA at 141 (size) and Retherford doesn't win it at 149 (mid to high AA at best).  If PSU is going for a title, the hard choice is to bump Conaway and have 3 high AA's in the first 3 weights and have Beitz score some points at 149.

I predict Nolf will win some NCAA titles but....the season is long and everyone will know him.  Mid level AA next year, the same applies to Nickal and Nevills will fall short of an AA finish (heavy is still a strong weight).

Iowa:  If the legal problems and suspensions hold, they are out of the running.

tOSU:  It all comes down to repeating success.  Could have zero finalists next year if Bo loses to his cousin again in a dual.

OSU:  My sleeper pick because they are quietly going to have a very good team next year and they wrestle over their heads at NCAA's every year now it seems.  My bet is Ringer stays at 165 and Smith comes up with a solution at 157.  Collica moves down to 149 or Joe Smith comes in better than anyone predicted.  Mardsen comes back strong.

VakAttack,

I have both heard and read that Paddock may not be able to hold 165 and may not even be their best option at 165 if he does.  Rhoads has been brought up on multiple occasions.  You also have 3 incoming freshman in Moody, Erickson and Gunther.  What about little St. John?

Is it based off solid inside knowledge, or is it just what has been floating around the HR because he wrestled 174 all year?

hawktalk3,

Devin Carter said he was going 149, look how that ended up.  Grey went 141, look how that ended up.  I mainly put guys at weights I think they would be best at.  Obviously, this early in the season, I may end up very far off.  That is why I captioned this with "Way too early"!

hawktalk3,

Anything you know is considerably more "inside" than what I would get for Iowa.  That is why I said rumors and say I am not sure what insiders know.

When you said "heard" I didn't know if you ran into some one at NCAAs or something?

hawktalk3,

Devin Carter said he was going 149, look how that ended up.  Grey went 141, look how that ended up.  I mainly put guys at weights I think they would be best at.  Obviously, this early in the season, I may end up very far off.  That is why I captioned this with "Way too early"!

Yeah, but I feel like the Carter decision was to move away from Logan, Garrett doesn't really have anyone to run away from at 125 anymore. There will be solid guys at either weight. Just my $.02

Iowa:  If the legal problems and suspensions hold, they are out of the running.

I hope Gross and or Ryan can be impact players this year but I doubt it and not even sure either is the best option at 141. I don't think the suspensions are going to play much of a role one way or another in the team title. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

jammen,

They both sat on the bench this year.  Where do you see them fitting in this upcoming year?

As did Marstellar.  They will be competing for the 165 and 184 spots assuming that Ringer goes to 174.

OSU:  My sleeper pick because they are quietly going to have a very good team next year and they wrestle over their heads at NCAA's every year now it seems.  My bet is Ringer stays at 165 and Smith comes up with a solution at 157.  Collica moves down to 149 or Joe Smith comes in better than anyone predicted.  Mardsen comes back strong.

Sleeper pick?  They'll probably go into next season as the #2 ranked team, who's sleeping on them?

Sleeper pick?  They'll probably go into next season as the #2 ranked team, who's sleeping on them?

tOSU and PSU get 90% of the attention on here since NCAA's because both are considered the favorites.  Edinboro came out of 2014 as the probable #1 heading into the 2014/15 season but everyone knew that wasn't going to stick.

Could Macri really bump all the way from 125 to 149?

Kingsland, sorry - I should have inserted the little winkee-eye emotican (how come this forum doesn't have those?) to emphasis I was writing in jest (LOL) - I have heard Macri is muscling up, and we shouldn't take for granted he'll be at 125, but I do think ultimately that's where he will be.  I'm also guessing that Garrett will bump up to 133 (I also heard him say that in one of the NCAA interviews) although I haven't heard anything confirming that from anyone else.  That sets up an interesting dilemma with Grey.  I do think Coach Koll is going to have some interesting problems trying to get some of the talent  in the room onto the mat.  I expect to see a bunch of different guys early on, and the lineup pretty fluid until February at least.

Cornell

125 Macri

133 Garrett (I think grey takes a year off and comes back at 133)

141 Koll / lil'buto

149 Galasso (good talk coming out of the room)

157 Realbuto

165 Palacio

174 Pickett

157-174 Chavez (where-ever he is needed. I think 165)

184 - Dean

197 - Taylor/Congenie

HWT - JAP/Sweaney

Instructions for blocking a poster

1. Log in to your account

2. Click your name at the top of the page

3. Click "Manage Ignore Prefs"

4. Type the name of the poster to ignore, in this case BraunMann

5. Click the checkboxes to ignore Posts, Signature, and Messages

6. Click Save Changes and enjoy a much better message board experience

Love how some people can't handle opinions that are counter to theirs. Snyder is from Maryland and Maryland is a soft wrestling state despite the financing from Dan.

Edited by BraunMann

tOSU and PSU get 90% of the attention on here since NCAA's because both are considered the favorites.  Edinboro came out of 2014 as the probable #1 heading into the 2014/15 season but everyone knew that wasn't going to stick.

paboom, on 16 Apr 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:snapback.png

OSU:  My sleeper pick because they are quietly going to have a very good team next year and they wrestle over their heads at NCAA's every year now it seems.  My bet is Ringer stays at 165 and Smith comes up with a solution at 157.  Collica moves down to 149 or Joe Smith comes in better than anyone predicted.  Mardsen comes back strong.

If we're looking for a sleeper next year, how about Michigan? They are projected to have a rather strong lineup with potentially 5 returning AAs if Huntly gets a 6th year.

Lehigh is also going to have a nice lineup. Not sure they can compete for a title but they could be in the mix for a team trophy and maybe they can finally stop Cornell's EIWA streak.

As for the the front runners, I've got Penn State (1) and tOSU (1a) as co-favorites with OSU (3) and Iowa (4). Cornell (5) and Michigan (6) have the potential to break into top four and Lehigh (7) a little behind them.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

My sleeper is Iowa. If Grothus can make a commitment to either 141 or 157 early. They will have 7 very solid All American contenders with Gilman, Clark, Sorenson as bonafide title contenders. 

They have just as much firepower as anyone else.  

Hopefully they learned from this year and skip National Duals or at least tank the first round. 

Edited by OtisCampbell

Michigan is a good call.  Pantaleo showed a lot of promise, big ten champ Abounader had a lousy tourney and Mahomes will be back from injury.  Presumably both Massa's can fit in and help.  I'm still trying to figure out how a team with five AA;'s and a finalist finished 11th.  

Michigan is a good call. Pantaleo showed a lot of promise, big ten champ Abounader had a lousy tourney and Mahomes will be back from injury. Presumably both Massa's can fit in and help. I'm still trying to figure out how a team with five AA;'s and a finalist finished 11th.

I have heard that Huntley is going to come back for a 6th year which will give them 5 returning AAs. Taylor Massa needs to get his act together and actually decide he wants to wrestle or he is going to sit the bench next year as he seemingly can't make 165 anymore and Mahomes is a tough customer at 174 with AA potnential as soon as next year. Add Mahomes, Abounader, and Pantaleo to 5 returning AA's and Michigan will be very good next year and could easily be top 5. It will be interesting to see if Logan Massa starts at 165, I for once hope McFarland actually redshirts a kid and starts Sutton who was decent coming out of redshirt late.

My sleeper is Iowa. If Grothus can make a commitment to either 141 or 157 early. They will have 7 very solid All American contenders with Gilman, Clark, Sorenson as bonafide title contenders. 

They have just as much firepower as anyone else.  

Hopefully they learned from this year and skip National Duals or at least tank the first round. 

Your early season prognosis of Ohio State and the capabilities of their wrestlers ended up woefully wrong. Any reason to think that this analysis (of the Hawkeyes) is any better?

Love how some people can't handle opinions that are counter to theirs. Snyder is from Maryland and Maryland is a soft wrestling state despite the financing from Dan.

Folks just have to remember that you honestly thought that Kyle was Dan Snyder's son.

With that added perspective folks can, then, understand your grave embarrassment and that you might go off the deep end in reaction. Better than going seppuku, I suppose.

OP,

You are correct in my assessment...Iowa didn't challenge and The OSU won a NCAA Championship (Congrats and well deserved)...A 7-3 split is the best an opponent can hope for next year!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

Folks just have to remember that you honestly thought that Kyle was Dan Snyder's son.

With that added perspective folks can, then, understand your grave embarrassment and that you might go off the deep end in reaction. Better than going seppuku, I suppose.

You gotta admit Dan at least probably financed his training and early coaching.  I do think Dan was heartbroken and angered when Kyle gave up football though.

One thing is for certain - a Maryland wrestler DOES NOT make it to NCAA finals as a freshman without some outside help.

Edited by BraunMann