Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

Cleveland State Reinstated

Its good news, but the release that talks about it says that they're raising the student charges to pay for keeping wrestling.  The reality is that the increased fees are to pay for lacrosse. 

Absolutely true. 

The one dollar fee increase (instead of the $4-6 amount in the referendum) is supposed to make it more palatable, I suppose.

It's also hard for me to believe that this decision "swung" on the student vote. But maybe it did!

Wrestling should not continue to be held hostage so that other sports can be added. Between CSU, ASU, hell even the Olympics, our sport continue is offered up with the powers-to-be knowing full well that our close-knit community will rally to the cause and pay up. When well the coffers dry up and programs get cut?

Hire Logan Stieber as the head coach today. 

That would certainly bring a recruiting boost.  Don't forget though, CSU does have Olympian hopeful Danny Mitcheff training and running camps as well as club coach Erik Burnett (one of Stieber's longtime coaches).  Great place to be if you are a lightweight.

Edited by figure4

One good thing about this is seeing that the administration of the school stepped in and corrected a mistake made by the athletic director. 

Does this mean that the administration will be taking a greater interest in wrestling at CSU moving forward?

​

Does this mean that the administration will be taking a greater interest in wrestling at CSU moving forward?

Email I was sent the other day from from the AD.

​With support from both the CSU students and the NE Ohio wrestling community I am optimistic that CSU wrestling can actually emerge stronger competitively and financially than in the recent past.

Do you think we will be to attract some of the top high school wrestlers in this area to attend CSU?

John Parry

One good thing about this is seeing that the administration of the school stepped in and corrected a mistake made by the athletic director. 

This is naive.  Does anyone seriously think that any AD would cancel any sport without his university president's buy-in?  CSU deflected the heat to the AD (and will probably give him a raise for it).

What really happened is that CSU wanted lacrosse from the beginning.  Lacrosse enrolls wealthy non-Ohio students who pay out-of-state tuition without financial aid.  Killing wrestling was a two-fer, as it removes a number of poor and middle-class in-state students from enrollment.

Then CSU used the student elections (in which 9% of students bothered to vote) as an excuse to impose a fee on ALL students.  If CSU genuinely wanted to save wrestling, they could've imposed that fee from the beginning.  But then CSU wouldn't reap the PR of "listening to the students" and "saving wrestling."  And the students likely would've seen an up-front fee for what it is:  a lacrosse fee disguised as a wrestling fee -- or money laundering.

We can take some consolation in that fee being small -- for now.  But schools are very good at escalating hidden fees like this over time.  And CSU created a template for other schools to threaten wrestling in order to achieve unrelated goals.

To recap:  CSU transferred wealth from 18,300 mostly poor/middle-class students to about 30 wealthy students.  CSU executed the wealth transfer by manipulating students and wrestling fans.  CSU then basked in the glory of "saving wrestling," and everybody rejoiced.  Until the next time this happens, at CSU or elsewhere.

Edited by Jefe

To recap:  CSU transferred wealth from 18,300 mostly poor/middle-class students to about 30 wealthy students.  CSU executed the wealth transfer by manipulating students and wrestling fans.  CSU then basked in the glory of "saving wrestling," and everybody rejoiced.  Until the next time this happens, at CSU or elsewhere.

This^^^

I'm getting tired of the greatest sport on the planet constantly having to defend itself from attacks from misguided ranking officers at the IOC or Athletic Departments.  (period)

The problem is that a very small majority of people think it is the greatest sport on the planet.

The problem is that a very small majority of people think it is the greatest sport on the planet.

This would NOT be a problem if true. A majority is a majority no matter how small.

But I think we all get your point.

I am relieved for the CSU wrestling community and for us fans in general. Disappointed in the disengenious administration. Would love to see the student body hold them accountable. A tall ask.

Parry probably didn't know how much heat he was going to get when he opened this can of worms.

He knew.  It was the CSU administration that had no stomach for a battle.  My opinion. 

CSU now needs to ask what to do to really pick up this program.  

I'm getting tired of the greatest sport on the planet constantly having to defend itself from attacks from misguided ranking officers at the IOC or Athletic Departments.  (period)

I think the question to ask is, Why does wrestling always seem to be the first sport on the cutting block? 

Almost every men's track & field team also don't draw crowds.  Same with swimming - most don't even track attendance. 

Men's tennis is the same (I believe the largest record crowd for a men's tennis match is around 920).  Men's golf - people aren't following college golfers around the course.

Tennis has had a lot of men's teams cut but that has fallen off this past decade, they along with golf are now benefiting from having a small roster.  If the school is in title IX trouble, cutting a team with 8-12 guys isn't going to help.  Also most tennis teams have rosters of out of state or out of country students, so they get higher tuition out of them.

As for track & field and swimming/diving, you hear the argument that they also have a women's counterpart but that hasn't stopped some schools from dropping the men's teams and keeping the women's teams. 

The vast majority of men's baseball teams don't draw fans and that is an expensive sport - maintaining a field for baseball only, a lot of travel and a lot of people traveling.  The argument of softball being its counter doesn't really hold true, they don't share fields, they don't share coaches, traveling, have separate conference/regional/national tournaments. 

Wrestling falls victim to having a larger roster and for some reason lack of administration support even though it is an inexpensive sport.

If only Title IX numbers focused on starting positions, actual competitors instead of overall number of athletes.  Outside of equipment costs I still haven't seen a valid argument on why a sports team should have a capped roster. 

If there is room to train, why limit the number of athletes out for the sport with an arbitrary number?  What is the bad side of 20 guys practicing sprints opposed to 12?  45 in the wrestling room compared to 30? An extra 5 running cross country?  How does that hurt women? 

Only so many guys are going to travel to competitions, so the travel costs aren't going to change.  The track equipment, wrestling mats, great outdoors are going to be there, so it isn't equipment issues. 

To me it seems wrestling would be an administrations' dream sport - get 30-40 athletes and giving out a maximum 9.9 scholarships, sport specific equipment is cheap (mats are cheap when compared to maintaining a playing field), shares competition facilities with other sports.

Then again, as cheap as wrestling is California community colleges are killing the sport and that is at a level where the schools provide very little..

It is all about the wrestling reputation. Perception has become reality.

Tennis, Track, Golf, and Swimming are all lifetime sports that academics participate in. For the most part, these programs don't have athletes getting in trouble on campus and the athletes are qualified academically. Administrations see value in these sports as fitness activities.

Wrestling is not know, not respected, and the affliction t-shirts are not well received by many college administrators. The problem is that wrestling often likes to say that others don't understand wrestling and push people away from the sport.

Wrestling is not an administrator's dream. In fact, I have even struggled with justifying the sport in some instances when looking at the business decisions and strategic impact facing certain schools. Wrestling, as a collegiate sport and as a culture, could be much improved, but a lot of people seem set in their ways.

Thankfully, programs like Wrestlers in Business have been a big asset to the sport.