wrestlpsu

2015 us open

Wow, Herbert almost has ruth teched scoring in every scramble situation and then coasts through late Ruth Tds with the big lead.  He was in the zone.

Ruth should go to MMA now. I don't see him winning any medals this year or next. And the longer he waits to start MMA, the more income he's losing out on. 

Ruth is a great folkstyler, but freestyle is just not his thing. And there's no shame in that. 3x NCAA champ is an amazing credential. 

Ruth should go to MMA now. I don't see him winning any medals this year or next. And the longer he waits to start MMA, the more income he's losing out on. 

Ruth is a great folkstyler, but freestyle is just not his thing. And there's no shame in that. 3x NCAA champ is an amazing credential.

He could be great at pretty much anything he wants if his heart is in it, for example his win over Salas. So I would be it a little differently. So long as he is not all-in to learn freestyle and become great, he's headed for a frustrating freestyle career and shortening his MMA career. I do question if his heart is in it if nothing else because of his frequent posting about MMA as if he feels he can't just walk away from wrestling though he seems to really want to.

It's funny how people questioned if Snyder would be able to recover mentally from getting stuck in the finals.  I think those who've never been on that level underestimate just how mentally tough these guys are.  Some other guys who seemed to come back just fine after getting stuck in NCAA finals include Kevin Randleman, David Taylor, John Azevedo, Bruce Baumgartner (twice) and Dave Schultz.  So, it seems that getting stuck in the NCAA finals really isn't the crushing blow to a career that so many on these boards seem to think it is.

I know Braun is just a troll, but deserve has nothing to do with it.  He earned his way to the finals.  That's the beauty of wrestling. Everyone gets exactly what they deserve because they earned it.

snwbrdwint good one on Bruce Baumgartner.

1980 NCAA finals Howard Harris wbf over Bruce.

1981 NCAAs finals Lou Banach wbf over Bruce.

So, let's see if he was able to bounce back, if he was deserving:

1982 NCAA champion by 4-2 victory over Steve Williams.

1983 World Bronze 

1984 Olympic Gold

1985 World Bronze

1986 World Gold 

1987 World Silver

1988 Olympic Silver

1989 World Silver

1990 World Silver

1992 Olympic Gold 

1993 World Gold

1994 World Silver

1995 World Gold

1996 Olympic Bronze

Yeah, I'd say that loss to Herbert was quite the surprise.  Could still win trials though. 

It was an upset for sure but was it really that surprising? At the Flo Pro event, Herbert got the better of Ruth for a good amount of time (and most of a regulation match in terms of time) before he completely gassed. I didn't expect Herbert to win but I thought he had a very good shot after watching the Flo Pro event.

It's funny how people questioned if Snyder would be able to recover mentally from getting stuck in the finals.  I think those who've never been on that level underestimate just how mentally tough these guys are.  Some other guys who seemed to come back just fine after getting stuck in NCAA finals include Kevin Randleman, David Taylor, John Azevedo, Bruce Baumgartner (twice) and Dave Schultz.  So, it seems that getting stuck in the NCAA finals really isn't the crushing blow to a career that so many on these boards seem to think it is.

I know Braun is just a troll, but deserve has nothing to do with it.  He earned his way to the finals.  That's the beauty of wrestling. Everyone gets exactly what they deserve because they earned it.

Is that your best effort at proving being pinned in a final is not mentally crushing?   If I list 20 guys who never did a thing after being crushed in a final, can you mount a credible retort or will you just ignore it?   Without looking anything up, I can think of 9 right now who did nothing after losing by fall in a final.   Couple others who were teched .  

If you've never competed at that level, you'd have no idea how crushing such a thing can be.   You cherry picked a few guys who over came it.   Care to put it to a test the other way? 

Cletus of course getting pinned is mentally crushing. I actually don't know how many people are done in by such a defeat. I imagine a lot. I thought the point snwbrdwint was trying to make is that one quality of being the great is being able to overcome crushing defeats and that's part of what it means to be mentally tough. 

Cletus of course getting pinned is mentally crushing. I actually don't know how many people are done in by such a defeat. I imagine a lot. I thought the point snwbrdwint was trying to make is that one quality of being the great is being able to overcome crushing defeats and that's part of what it means to be mentally tough. 

Fair enough.  Thank you for clarifying. 

I'm happy to clarify and love the conversation. I'm a newbie, you are a pro Cletus!

LkwdSteve what does "did Snyder mean in the competition?" To my mind, the very definition of an Open tournament is if you sign up, you below. I also don't know whether he is still eligible for juniors. I think I read somewhere he was past his prime, though that would make him a 21 year old freshman. Is that right?

I'm happy to clarify and love the conversation. I'm a newbie, you are a pro Cletus!

LkwdSteve what does "did Snyder mean in the competition?" To my mind, the very definition of an Open tournament is if you sign up, you below. I also don't know whether he is still eligible for juniors. I think I read somewhere he was past his prime, though that would make him a 21 year old freshman. Is that right?

One poster has pursued an anti-Kyle Snyder agenda since the opening rounds of the NCAA D1 championship. That campaign has continued into this thread, an effort defended, then and now, by one other poster.

If the website is OK with mindless, trollish, attacks on our young hopes for the future, so be it. Afterall, this is only USA Wrestling's national website and message board (albeit anonymous). 

Speaking of clarifying things that don't need clarifying, did Snyder belong in the competition?

Belong in it?   I would hope so.   An NCAA runner up, world junior runner up, just in the last year.    I wanted to see him in it last year but I understand why he went juniors.   And before you ask, he belongs in the WTT coming up (in case you're wondering).  

Winners were fans of wrestlers with Ohio connections (we are claiming Schlatter and Taylor), who performed big time this time around. California will have to wait....but not too long.

I think you missed my point.  This entire discussion wouldn't exist without Braunman's troll post.