Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Hearing Bad Things About Ticket Availability For Nationals.

Here the NCAA's are in my own back yard. I had places to stay, fun things to do, parties lined up with friends and family, and the guy who said he'd come through getting me tickets hasn't. I understand that most likely he tried really hard to get them for me, and sincerely thought that he could, so I'm not mad about that. I am very upset that I don't have the tickets though. Just makes me sick, and I mean literally sick to the point of throwing up that the NCAA's will be right here, an hour an a half trip from my house and it looks like I won't be attending.

I'll try and scalp, don't get me wrong, but from the sounds of it it'll be impossible or people will want $100+ per session.

What are tickets anyway? In the past they've usually ranged from $125-$175 for a package deal of all sessions. I've heard rumors that this year they're going for double to triple that. Not sure if that's true or not. Anyone know?

All session tickets for Des Moines were $205 or at least the ones I bought were.

Still not that bad for all of the great wrestling that you get to see. That is only an average of $35 per session, which I would be more than willing to pay if I could get them. I'd even be willing to pay double that if I could get a taker....

As far as Iowa residents go, though, it isn't all bad if you have to buy them from scalpers, assuming that you're in reasonable commuting distance from Des Moines.

If you go to the NCAA's in any other year, with food, tickets, lodging, etc, etc, it's a $1,000 deal. So, if you had to buy outlandish ticket prices but can commute each day, it's a zero sum game and not really anything different from what you pay anyway.

has this ever happened before? were tickets available at the arena from scalpers? we just got the letter saying we didn't get tickets. trying to figure out if we should buy now $600/stubhub or wait for other options to open up.

has this ever happened before? were tickets available at the arena from scalpers? we just got the letter saying we didn't get tickets. trying to figure out if we should buy now $600/stubhub or wait for other options to open up.

Scalpers always have tickets, and they will for this too.

However, and as I said earlier, if you're from Iowa, normally go to the NCAA's each year anyway, and in commuting distance from Des Moines, it would probably cost you less to buy from stubhub or a scalper than it would to attend NCAA's in another state anyway.

If you join the Cyclone Wrestling Club for $100.00, they may still have tickets available for a short time.

Iowa is getting way lass than usual too. ISU might have a "in" as host, but U of I doesn't. I've had anywhere from 5-11 season tickets for the last 30 years, and have bought 3-7 NCAA tickets through Iowa for at least 23 of those years, and I only got two from them. I got four last year from Wells Fargo in the 5 minutes before they sold out, but I still need two more that I'nm trying other outlets for, but won't know for sure until Feb. My group of eight people will be sitting in at least three different places.

We had eleven that wanted to go, but my daughter's group gave up. i was happy it was in Iowa, but i hope it doesn't come back. I don't want to go through this again.

Agreed TNT. I love that its in Des Moines since I can just go home every night, but there is a group of 20 of us that go about every year to Nationals. It has been an absolute nightmare this year getting tickets. Have no less than had my card credited back twice for tickets that we thought we would have, and now it is looking like we will have to piece meal tickets in about 5 different areas of Wells. Just change it to St. Louis for good. My goodness!!

Here's a novel thought. We've sold out the last several years so let's move to a smaller venue. I'm guessing you could sell out the bigger stadii easily but NCAA would need to cut a few people lose from March Madness to make that happen. Here are a few:Rupp in Lexington and Greensboro each seat 23500. Mariott Provo, Scottrade St. Lou, Palace Auburn Hills, KFC Yum Louisville are 23000 or better ,Dean Smith in basketball city, Thomas Boling Knoxville, Wells Fargo Phil and Am. airlines Dallas all seat 21K plus. Provo is 22,700. Des Moines is number 130 on list at 16110. Please one of you "NCAA is great" guys splain me that. There are possibly 7390 seats out there and I'm guessing Am. Airlines in the big D would be easy to get in and out and lots of nearby rooms and fun and dahlins for Flaps stabbin Cabin and still provide 4890 more seats.. At 205 a pkg just over a $million left lying on the table and if in Greensboro $1,5 mil. not counting parking concessions gear etc. To NCAA that's jump change.

Question for anyone that may know...what is total seating at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City?

Just curious, with all the scurrying around to get tickets...will we face the same thing in 2014? Hope the NCAA has learned something from this fiasco, as they'll be voting on the 2015 (and maybe 2016) sites this summer.

Question for anyone that may know...what is total seating at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City?

Just curious, with all the scurrying around to get tickets...will we face the same thing in 2014? Hope the NCAA has learned something from this fiasco, as they'll be voting on the 2015 (and maybe 2016) sites this summer.

More than Des Moines but less than Philly...

Oklahoma City's Chesapeake Energy Arena:

Seating capacity and layouts differ depending upon the event, but the Chesapeake Energy Arena holds 19,599 for basketball, 18,036 for hockey and over 20,000 for major concerts. It includes three levels: the Oklahoman Level (lower level), the Cox Communications Level (middle level of clubs and suites) and the Oklahoman Bedlam Level (upper level).

http://okc.about.com/od/attractionsandevents/p/okcfordcenter.htm

Thanks EnglishBob and vsnej!! I did all the internet lookups and due-diligence on the size of the arena. I was looking for insight into the seating for a Wrestling Venue. Arena seating is determined by the configuration used (as you've noted), and can vary a good bit. Still, sounds like about 2000 more seats than Des Moines, ballpark. Again, thanks.

The NCAA does not assume the risk of the events and does not host the events.

Only cities and stadiums that bid can host. A lot of places don't bid for the event so if you want a city to bid you need to contact their Convention and Visitors Bureau so it is on their radar. Additionally, the facility has to be willing and able to host.

It has been said that the Pepsi Center in Denver, as well as many other basketball centric facilities do not have the ability to host since the floor is too narrow or not long enough.

In addition, they have to come with a financial bid that says they are committed to making it a success. Philadelphia provided the NCAA with a $2M guarantee to get their bid. The guarantee did not just come from the facility but also from the community.

There are a lot of great cities and venues that can host but if they don't bid or make a serious financial commitment then they won't be considered.

Iowa has proven time and time again that they are willing to make financial commitments to host events and the fans turn out to make them a financial success. I doubt there was any city anywhere close to the marketing budget for the Olympic Trials that Iowa City put up.

What is Iowa putting up for this event?...Finish the story and state what actually happened at Philadelphia to include attendance, gate revenue etc...Mr. Gable did most of the promotion for the Olympic Trials and I'm not sure/convinced that paid dividends...Iowa puts fans in the seats no doubt but last year The PSU "Train" along with the Big Red produced 60 % of the NCAA Champions which happen to be on the EAST COAST...Times are tough and maybe the land of corn and hotdogs is not the place to be!!!

P.S. From a fan standpoint going BACK to BACK to BACK in IOWA will be something to tell those grandchildren!!!

The NCAA does not assume the risk of the events and does not host the events.

In addition, they have to come with a financial bid that says they are committed to making it a success. Philadelphia provided the NCAA with a $2M guarantee to get their bid. The guarantee did not just come from the facility but also from the community.

There are a lot of great cities and venues that can host but if they don't bid or make a serious financial commitment then they won't be considered.

Iowa has proven time and time again that they are willing to make financial commitments to host events and the fans turn out to make them a financial success. I doubt there was any city anywhere close to the marketing budget for the Olympic Trials that Iowa City put up.

"P.S. From a fan standpoint going BACK to BACK to BACK in IOWA will be something to tell those grandchildren!!!"

I wonder if they'll understand what it means

All kidding aside. I live in DSM. Im not necessarily that pumped up that it is in DSM. It will be a great event, but like many have said the Well is not that large, getting tickets has been an absolute nightmare, if you arent from here you will probably think the nightlife sucks, (there are a lot of hidden gems though if you ask locals......dont just go to court avenue and stay there the whole time!!), and hotel and transportation may be an issue for out of towners.

I seem like a broken record, but just keep it in St. Louis and be done with it. The State Penn "Train" may be winning titles lately and hopefully their fan base continues to turn out because thats good for the sport. But, St. Louis is directly in the middle of the country, is close to the heart of wrestling "Midwest", and like it or not its close to Iowa fans who clearly and without doubt spend the most money on the sport and have for the last 40 years. Just my opinion, but St. Louis has been the best place ive been to for Nationals in the last 8-10 years.