Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Rules committee recommedations

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/wrestling-rules-committee-recommends-making-two-experimental-rules-permanent

Highlights of the potential changes:

1. Clarification of drop down stalling rule

2. Clarification of neutral stalling

3. Eliminate 4 point tech fall

4. 2 second near fall is 2 points, 4 second is 4 points

5. interlocking fingers - first call is PD, subsequent calls are stalling

These rules aren't final until the overall NCAA rules committee approves, but they will likely rubber stamp these recommendations.

•Eliminating the four team points awarded for a technical fall if the winning wrestler fails to score a near fall.

Does this mean they will award a 5 point tech fall or a three point decision?

•Eliminating the four team points awarded for a technical fall if the winning wrestler fails to score a near fall.

Does this mean they will award a 5 point tech fall or a three point decision?

Or does it mean that a 15 point advantage without nearfall does not end the bout. If after having a 15 point lead with no nearfall, he gets a nearfall, then it becomes a tech fall.

For example a wrestler has 10 takedowns and 1 escape vs 8 escapes. Leads 21 to 8 and starts the third period in neutral. He gets the takedown that does not put his opponent to his back. Present rules would end the match, and he would earn 4 team points. New rule he would still have time to earn a nearfall and 5 team points. Or he could just keep getting TDs and yielding escapes. Maybe ending up like 35-14. A 7 minute match worth 4 points

I take it straight forward. If you're trading tds and escapes and the score is something like 25-10, the bout is stopped and 3 team points awarded. Tough luck, buddy. Learn to turn.

Personally, I'd like to see the tech with a near fall to be stopped and allow an option to continue if there's enough time left on the clock. This could result in a pin or a DQ if the losing man has a string of stall calls. Could make a difference in a close dual meet. Right now we let the staller off the hook by stopping the bout.

But what does ...using dual scoring in traditional tourneys mean, how does that work? 6-5-4-3 for every bout and no place points? or with place points?

Edited by Cooch1

I take it straight forward. If you're trading tds and escapes and the score is something like 25-10, the bout is stopped and 3 team points awarded. Tough luck, buddy. Learn to turn.

Personally, I'd like to see the tech with a near fall to be stopped and allow an option to continue if there's enough time left on the clock. This could result in a pin or a DQ if the losing man has a string of stall calls. Could make a difference in a close dual meet.

But what does ...using dual scoring in traditional tourneys mean, how does that work? 6-5-4-3 for every bout and no place points? or with place points?

I think it's more that all tech falls are 5 points. In the scenario you described, winning 24-10 is worth more team points than winning 25-10.

There's hardly anymore td/escape techs anymore, a relic of yesteryear. So a good rule change, unless wrestlers revert to the old pattern of the '90s which was the reason for tech being two tiered in the first place.

Just going by the test in this article the tech-fall would be 5 points regardless of near fall being scored or not. At least that's the way I read it.

The others are good considerations and we'll have to see how they play out. I especially like the waiting at least 1 second after saying set in referee's position. Maybe this will finally get rid of the rolling starts.

For what it's worth, there were 17 tech-fours, nationally, in D-1 vs. D-1 matches last year. Devin Carter (3) was the only wrestler with more than one.

Also for what it's worth, I think iMart tech-four'd our backup Gopher in 23 seconds and left him with a broken arm.

Personally, I'd like to see the tech with a near fall to be stopped and allow an option to continue if there's enough time left on the clock. This could result in a pin or a DQ if the losing man has a string of stall calls. Could make a difference in a close dual meet. Right now we let the staller off the hook by stopping the bout.

So a guy who reaches 25-10 in 5:30 should only get 3 team points ---- but a guy who has 3 TDs, 1E, 1TV(locked hands) and 61 seconds of RT advantage vs 1 Escape should get 4 team points.

I just don't get your logic.