Sign in to follow this  
sgallan

Cejudo gets his degree

That's great for him. Despite having challenges growing up, he is an Olympic gold medalist and UFC fighter, and he has a degree in theology. I have no doubt he will do just fine in life. 

A note for the rest of us: A degree in theology will make it tough to get a job.

It's always best to study a STEM field (science, technology, engineering, math). After that, the next best plan is a course of study that will give you skills for a particular job or set of jobs (for example accounting). If you're not interested in either a STEM field or in developing a specific skill set, college may not be a good idea.

Some employers just want kids with a college degree, and they don't need any particular skills from those kids coming in. Those are the jobs a degree in theology will get you. But in this economy you'll be competing against people who may have connections, or people who may have relevant skills already, or people with gold medals. It's a tough road. And despite your mind telling you otherwise, you are not inherently lucky. Chances are a trade school would be a much better investment. Or even on-the-job training.

Oh yeah and for those of us who don't have Olympic gold medals, wrestling does not pay the bills. It just doesn't. So going to college with only wrestling in mind is a very poor career decision. 

I hope that helps. 

Edited by Katie

That's great for him. Despite having challenges growing up, he is an Olympic gold medalist and UFC fighter, and he has a degree in theology. I have no doubt he will do just fine in life. 

A note for the rest of us: A degree in theology will make it tough to get a job.

It's always best to study a STEM field (science, technology, engineering, math). After that, the next best plan is a course of study that will give you skills for a particular job or set of jobs (for example accounting). If you're not interested in either a STEM field or in developing a specific skill set, college may not be a good idea.

Some employers just want kids with a college degree, and they don't need any particular skills from those kids coming in. Those are the jobs a degree in theology will get you. But in this economy you'll be competing against people who may have connections, or people who may have relevant skills already, or people with gold medals. It's a tough road. And despite your mind telling you otherwise, you are not inherently lucky. Chances are a trade school would be a much better investment. Or even on-the-job training.

Oh yeah and for those of us who don't have Olympic gold medals, wrestling does not pay the bills. It just doesn't. So going to college with only wrestling in mind is a very poor career decision. 

I hope that helps. 

Certainly studying in a STEM field or a specific job function is a good idea, assuming you have the talent and aptitude to succeed in one of those fields. I would have wasted a whole lot of money if I'd tried to get an engineering degree, and probably be living under a bridge now. But you are badly underestimating the value of a classic liberal-arts education, however. (Please note: the word "liberal" in this context does not mean what you probably think it means.)

Time after time I've read interviews with company CEOs who complain that their applicant pools are filled with people who may have one specific skill but are incapable of writing a coherent business letter or report, or cannot reason independently to solve problems or work cooperatively to improve production. Those are all skills that can and often are learned in college, assuming the student actually pays attention in classes and isn't there just to get a notation on their transcript that says they have a college degree. (And, to be fair, that the professors are actually teaching and not just reading bullet points off a PowerPoint slide deck.)

We'll never stop needing engineers and doctors and scientists, certainly. But there are other things college teaches those who are willing to learn, and they can lead to financially successful and personally rewarding careers. Without knowing what Cejudo's ultimate career goals are beyond wrestling and MMA it's impossible to know how useful his theology degree will be in helping him succeed. He's almost certainly not going to be worse off than he would have been without it, though.

Lifetime earnings boost from humanities degrees:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreydorfman/2014/11/20/surprise-humanities-degrees-provide-great-return-on-investment/

Not sure what a degree in Christian Science gets you, but Cejudo could definitely turn into a politician in the long run.  He's got quite an amazing story, and will be able to pull in an enormous amount of voters from his various experiences throughout life.  Ever see him talk, he sounds just like a (good) politician.  

LIke someone said above, some employers just want someone with a college degree.  For me personally, if I saw "wrestler" in the resume I'd give that person an advantage over everybody else.  

Am  I the only one that can't  read any posts beyond the massive salary table?  Strike that, I can read the other posts when replying.

same deal here. super long posts of grocery bill receipt length tend to really mess up the threads. same with people quoting and re-quoting a message board dissertation.