Sign in to follow this  
hawktalk3

D1's Recruiting Rewind

Very cool... The only thing I don't like about the study is it rewards kids for going to the tougher conference. So if Stieber wrestled in Socon and was still a 4x NCAA champ, he'd only be 2 points ahead of McMullen.

Edited by Buckxell

Very cool... The only thing I don't like about the study is it rewards kids for going to the tougher conference. So if Stieber wrestled in Socon and was still a 4x NCAA champ, he'd only be 2 points ahead of McMullen.

I get what you are saying, but it really does mean more to be a four-time Big Ten champion than it does to be a four-time SoCon, WWC, MAC, etc champion. In the Big Ten you may have to beat one, maybe even two All-Americans to win a title, in the lesser conferences the guy opposite of you in the finals might be lucky to qualify.

So if your the best wrestler in the nation but you are not in the big ten, then you are only kind of the best?   Or even 2nd or 3rd in the nation but if you are from the MAC really that is not as good as a kid who finishes 8th but is from the big 10?

Not if McMullen were in the Socon also.

really enjoy the these rewinds. Earl does some really great work with this. 

the formula is just that, a simple rubric. its a way for Earl to organize the mountains of data he has compiled. compromises must be made when determining the order of anything. 

This.

So if your the best wrestler in the nation but you are not in the big ten, then you are only kind of the best?   Or even 2nd or 3rd in the nation but if you are from the MAC really that is not as good as a kid who finishes 8th but is from the big 10?

Don't be so obtuse. That's obviously not the case, if you are 3rd in the nation and from the MAC (so you are probaby the best in the MAC) you get 17 points, if you are 8th in the NCAA and from the big ten (so you are in the top 3-ish range, I will go 2nd for this example to prove my point) you get 11 points. There is a six point gap.

It's one mans opinion on re-evaluating recruits. Get over it.

Edited by hawktalk3

Don't be so obtuse. That's obviously not the case, if you are 3rd in the nation and from the MAC (so you are probaby the best in the MAC) you get 17 points, if you are 8th in the NCAA and from the big ten (so you are in the top 3-ish range, I will go 2nd for this example to prove my point) you get 11 points. There is a six point gap.

It's one mans opinion on re-evaluating recruits. Get over it.

Relax Francis!

Loved to look at this, always find these type of things very interesting...Especially will all the hype around the NFL Draft, looking at this confirms a simple fact......YOU NEVER KNOW!!!!!

In fact, this really blew my mind....

47) Andrew Alton-149 (Penn State)  10 points  #2

Loved to look at this, always find these type of things very interesting...Especially will all the hype around the NFL Draft, looking at this confirms a simple fact......YOU NEVER KNOW!!!!!

In fact, this really blew my mind....

47) Andrew Alton-149 (Penn State)  10 points  #2[/size]

This is one of the reasons I don't like the planned redshirt.

He had such an impressive opening to his career. You never know what will happen...

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Its just for fun, but any metric used to justify Taylor Walsh having a better career than AJ Schopp( and Alan Waters and Nick Sulzer) needs to be reworked. 

1) the rankings do not justify anyone's career or any two athletes' career by comparison

2) any metric will produce results that will allow someone to cherry pick a few placements that defy intuition. 

Earl clearly laid out his scoring rubric. it's very simple to follow and there is sound reasoning behind the choices he made. no need to rework it but if you prefer a different method i'm sure we'd all like to hear it.

don't mean to sound snippy, its all just for fun as you say, just furthering the conversation. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

Someone must have been watching Shawshank Redemption recently.

and Stripes.

If collegiate wrestling was freestyle, Andrew Alton probably is a multi time AA or champ.  4 freestyle titles in HS (2 cadet-2Jr) and obviously much more comfortable on his feet.  He never adapted to the grind of mat wrestling in college. 

and Stripes.

If collegiate wrestling was freestyle, Andrew Alton probably is a multi time AA or champ.  4 freestyle titles in HS (2 cadet-2Jr) and obviously much more comfortable on his feet.  He never adapted to the grind of mat wrestling in college. 

Yeah, his lack of production was because he couldn't adapt to the grind of mat wrestling. The shoulder injuries had nothing to do with it:

2010-11: 

Andrew is the twin brother of Dylan, who is red-shirting this year...auspicious collegiate debut on 11/12, pinning Bloomsburg's Derek Shingara in just :54...followed that up with pin of Lehigh's Stephen Dutton in 1:21 on 11/14...went 3-0 at Sprawl and Brawl Duals on 11/21, including two pins (one in just :21)...won his first four collegiate bouts as a true freshman by falls, all in the first period, in a combined time of 3:57...beat Rutgers' fifth-year senior 7-4 on 11/21 in first collegiate dual win not by fall...went 6-0 with five pins to win the Nittany Lion Open 141-pound title on 12/5...won title by pinning #20 Zack Kemerer of Penn in just :39 in the finals...majored LHU's Justin Loudon 13-4 on 12/12...made Big Ten dual debut a quick one, pinning Ohio State's Randy Languis in just :31 on 12/19...Went 6-1 with three pins and a major at Southern Scuffle on 12/29-30...started season 17-0 with 13 pins before suffering first loss of season with a last second takedown by #1 Kellen Russell of Michigan in Scuffle semis, rebounded for two more wins to take third...went 3-1 at Virginia Duals with two pins and a major, only loss another close battle w/ #1 Kellen Russell of Michigan (this one a 2-1 decision on riding time)...dominated #7 Tyler Nauman of Pitt 7-4 with riding time on 1/21 and pinned Geno Capezio of Indiana on 1/23...lost hard-fought 3-1 (tb) decision to #1 Kellen Russell at Michigan on 2/6...lost tough 5-3 dec. to #4 Jimmy Kennedy on 2/11...lost close 4-1 decision to #2 Mike Thorn of Minnesota on 2/13...pinned UW's Shane McQuade (3:52) on 2/16 for 17th pin of the year.

Big Ten Championships (2-2, 5th, NCAA Qualifier): Posted a 2-2 mark with a tech fall to take fifth at Big Tens as the No. 5 seed...beat Purdue's Jake Fleckenstein 17-2 and Northwestern's Kaleb Friedley 6-4. 

He was 17-0 with 13 pins to start his freshman career. Sure he underproduced a bit at the end of the year, but honestly I don't remember if he just under prodced or if he got injured that year. Either way, that is a pretty impressive true freshman year.  

I think probably the best way to describe Andrew's freshman year outside of NCAA's was that he whooped up on everyone he was supposed to and lost to everyone he was supposed to.

and then he got to NCAAs and his inability to get off the bottom caught up with him.

and then he got to NCAAs and his inability to get off the bottom caught up with him.

Okay, so you're telling me that a true freshman making it to the round of 12 and having 19 pins on the year wasn't suited for folkstyle wrestling and he wouldn't have amounted to great things had he not gotten injured. You don't think that maybe his elite coaches couldn't have helped him out a bit on his bottom technique. I saw a kid with huge potential fall short after injury. Sorry injuries. What exactly did you see?