Sign in to follow this  
davidtaylorgangordie

Darrion Caldwell - Bellator

Weight cutting is reaching absurd levels in mma, to the point where people are dying from it. These guys have a 30 hour recovery period after weigh ins, plus a culture that's always asking fighters to go lower. When guys are fighting significantly below their wrestling weight it definitely raises eyebrows.

I don't know Caldwells situation at all, obviously. As long as he frays healthy hell be great at any weight IMO. Just frustrated in general about how much weight people suck in this sport. I mean, international wrestling is pretty bad for sucking down but mma is worse, and it doesn't need to be. There's plenty of weight classes to go around.

Getting off soapbox now...

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/439049/Fighter-in-Brazil-dies-during-weight-cut/  this is the one i know of for sure.  

http://combatsportslaw.com/tag/weight-cut-reform/

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/4/28/8507931/amateur-mma-fighter-collapses-dies-of-kidney-failure-washington-state-mma-news

this one just happened.  Not positive weight cutting played a role,  but when a guy dies from kidney faulure after a fight there's a good chance it was involved.

I could be 100% wrong about this, but I think I remembered hearing that he pretty much walked around at 149 or so when he competed in college. Granted, he was pretty lean/I don't know that for sure...but some people carry weight differently.

I checked his Sherdog account, and see he trains at Power MMA with Bader, Dolloway etc. For some reason I thought he was at AKA with Cormier, Cain, Rockhold etc...regardless, at least he's around a seemingly good team, I'd be more concerned if his Jr High wrestling coach or another MMA novice was his adviser. 

He looks too tall for 135. Not worth the huge health risks. Death from kidney failure in a fighter whether its boxing, wrestling, or mma is most likely from severe dehydration. Even rehydration via iv infusion may not be enough if the kidneys sustain enough damage.

Caldwell wrestled 152 as a senior in HS and NC State had him comfortably at 141 the next year. He's never struck me as some who has had much interest in cutting weight. I'm sure it will be a tough cut for him, but probably not quite as big of a cut as some may assume.

darrion went up to 171 for the freestyle states as a senior when he was a bit over 150 at the time.

He should go to World Team Trials and represent the USA at Worlds instead.  I truly believe that when healthy, he can beat Metcalf at will.

One has to wonder if the loss to Tsirtsis when Tsirtsis was a high school kid broke Caldwell mind, body, and soul...even though he wasn't in prime condition when it happened.

Edited by BraunMann

I could be 100% wrong about this, but I think I remembered hearing that he pretty much walked around at 149 or so when he competed in college. Granted, he was pretty lean/I don't know that for sure...but some people carry weight differently.

Yeah, he was walking around 5+ years ago at 149+ and probably >5% bodyfat.  I think you're proving he should be nowhere near 135.

Weight cutting is reaching absurd levels in mma, to the point where people are dying from it. These guys have a 30 hour recovery period after weigh ins, plus a culture that's always asking fighters to go lower. When guys are fighting significantly below their wrestling weight it definitely raises eyebrows.

I don't know Caldwells situation at all, obviously. As long as he frays healthy hell be great at any weight IMO. Just frustrated in general about how much weight people suck in this sport. I mean, international wrestling is pretty bad for sucking down but mma is worse, and it doesn't need to be. There's plenty of weight classes to go around.

Getting off soapbox now...

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/439049/Fighter-in-Brazil-dies-during-weight-cut/  this is the one i know of for sure.  

http://combatsportslaw.com/tag/weight-cut-reform/

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/4/28/8507931/amateur-mma-fighter-collapses-dies-of-kidney-failure-washington-state-mma-news

this one just happened.  Not positive weight cutting played a role,  but when a guy dies from kidney faulure after a fight there's a good chance it was involved.

An isolated death over a year ago is not a trend.

MMA has been around for decades and boxing with similar weight cutting has been around damn near forever. Competitors aren't dropping like flies from weight cutting and until that happens you won't see any regulation of it.

You said it perfectly:

"I don't know Caldwells situation at all, obviously"

That probably applies to just about all of us weighing in on his/other adults' choices of weight classes.

I agree Hasek, it's each athletes choice. However I do wish there was some regulation so athletes didn't have to chose between cutting 20+ lbs and being undersized. College wrestling has weight cutting restrictions. Supposedly the Russians have some guidelines as well. I don't think we need to have everyone cutting to the absolute limit of what their body is capable of losing.

Papa, thankfully people aren't constantly dying from weight cutting. However it is messing up mma shows. Most UFC cards now have guys missing weight. Renan Barao passed out and ruined a title fight. Gastelum missed weight by 10 lb vs Woodley because he was hospitalized from excess cutting. How often does a guy miss weight at NCAAs?

I'm not suggesting weight cutting being banned. That's not realistic, or fair to "tweeter" athletes. However there has to be some more sane solution than the enormous, dangerous cuts people are making right now.

It would also make fight cards more fun if top fighters can pick up last minute fights rather than needing months notice just to make weight .