Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Johnny Bones Jones Can Go Just Away Now (link)

Love the guy as a fighter. Was willing to wait it out while he recovered from his cocaine addiction. Don't like the pot smoking, but so long as he did not hurt anyone else ...

He can go F himself now for all I am concerned. 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/us/ufc-jon-bones-jones-hit-and-run/index.html

P.S. I'd post this in the MMA forum but nobody reads that forum, so I posted it here. 

Well with all of Cormier's bad luck on getting to the pinnacle of his sport and having to go through Gatsalov(Greatest guy in last 10 years), Sanderson(Greatest ever) and Jones(Possibly greatest ever) he finally catches a break against a guy he should beat. Key word should. Bad match up for Rumble. But we will see. If Cormier's loses this he will always be a bridesmaid but has one more chance to redeem himself here. I hope he finally gets to the pinnacle of the sport. we will see in a few weeks.  

Well with all of Cormier's bad luck on getting to the pinnacle of his sport and having to go through Gatsalov(Greatest guy in last 10 years), Sanderson(Greatest ever) and Jones(Possibly greatest ever) he finally catches a break against a guy he should beat. Key word should. Bad match up for Rumble. But we will see. If Cormier's loses this he will always be a bridesmaid but has one more chance to redeem himself here. I hope he finally gets to the pinnacle of the sport. we will see in a few weeks.

He is currently being lists as the favorite but does have a few things going against him. Has to cut weight and be at peak fighting level two weeks earlier than when is next fight was suppose to be held. Plus, I believe he was preparing for a 3 round fight and now he may have to make it through a 5 round battle with a dangerous striker. Disappointed to not see Jones vs Rumble, but at least they found a useful substitute instead of pulling that fight from the card.

Jones is in good company at 205. Both Johnson and Gustafson have criminal records too.

I'm assuming he will be suspended until charges are dealt with and then allowed to fight again, which seems fair to me.

Ps Go Cormier!

Make a mistake, lose your ability to work in your chosen field.  Seems legit.

Im an accountant. part of the being a CPA is acting as a professional. i would lose my job, so would most other professions. this isnt his first incident which is the biggest reason why he should lose his job.

Im an accountant. part of the being a CPA is acting as a professional. i would lose my job, so would most other professions. this isnt his first incident which is the biggest reason why he should lose his job.

The difference is, you are paid to prepare taxes and provide financial advice to people.  Jones is paid to beat the sh!t out of people.  A little bit different.  Being a stand-up citizen isn't required when your job is to knock people out

If the UFC wants to fire everyone with a criminal record, fine. However there are tons of mma fighters that have records. Jones' former opponent Johnson has been convicted of domestic violence and charged more than once. Should he be fired? I'm glad Jones was stripped of his belt and suspended but a permanent ban is not in line with the UFCs treatment of other fighters with offences.

Jones will be back next year. Most likely to fight Cormier. Cormier should be able to win this pretty easily against Rumble. But Cormier seems to blow the biggest matches of his life. I think this is different though being he isn't going against an all time great type. Just get the win Daniel and get over the hump man! This chance will not come again if Cormier loses with his age.  

Edited by PRyan2012

Mma and boxing are barbaric. The goal is to knock someone out. Being knocked unconscious is called a coma, it may be short in duration but it is still a coma. Ringing someone's bell or giving someone a concussion isn't something we should be cheering on. I am not taking some moral high road, I just don't agree with any so called sport where the object is to injure your opponent's brain.

Agree with most above.   Jones is a drug addict and he has demonstrated the inability to conduct himself appropriately.   He is way out of control.   The returning to the scene was encouraging but then he ran by the pregnant woman who's arm he had just broken, and retrieved his cash, then ran right by her as he made his escape, never bothering to offer aid or inquire about her well being.   He is just a terrible person.  

Nike dumped him

Reebok dumped him

The UFC suspended him and striped him of his belt

I don't wish harm on anyone, but unless he gets treatment for his addiction, he will kill himself, someone else, and or end up in prison for a long time.   

I'm torn between the two fighting for the vacated belt.   I'm happy with either winning.   Both are wrestlers and both carry themselves very well.   

The problem the UFC has in this situation is the same problem boxing has. There is no real institution, the brands are the individuals. People are not UFC fans, they are fans of MMA that are interested in seeing the best fights.

The collegiate and professional sports teams have fans that have an allegiance to the team, not the individuals. If they impose sanctions on athletes and the athletes go somewhere else it will do little to impact the business of the organization.

However, if the UFC started imposing sanctions on many fighters for drug use or criminal records you would see another promotion start to snatch them up and be able to promote them quickly. This is different than many other sports, even individual sports because you only need two people for a fight. In golf, if Woods, McIlroy, and Garcia are all suspended, they aren't likely to defect and pull advertisers with them to new events because it is the total field that draws and people will still be interested in seeing Watson, Furyk, and Spieth. The same is true of swimming and tennis.

This is very different in the UFC and it is the reason Ray Rice was pushed out after his offense while Floyd Mayweather continues despite a long history as a serial woman beater.

There are people that will claim regulators should step in and the state gaming and sport associations should impose the sanctions but that won't stop promotions since they can literally go anywhere in the world to make it happen.

I'm torn between the two fighting for the vacated belt.   I'm happy with either winning.   Both are wrestlers and both carry themselves very well.   

Interesting that you call Jones a terrible person but say that Johnson carries himself well.  You might need a little refresher course about Johnson's past behavior (which actually may be worse than Jones depending on your perspective).

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/9/25/6837283/anthony-rumble-johnson-ufc-domestic-violence 

The problem the UFC has in this situation is the same problem boxing has. There is no real institution, the brands are the individuals. People are not UFC fans, they are fans of MMA that are interested in seeing the best fights.

The collegiate and professional sports teams have fans that have an allegiance to the team, not the individuals. If they impose sanctions on athletes and the athletes go somewhere else it will do little to impact the business of the organization.

However, if the UFC started imposing sanctions on many fighters for drug use or criminal records you would see another promotion start to snatch them up and be able to promote them quickly. This is different than many other sports, even individual sports because you only need two people for a fight. In golf, if Woods, McIlroy, and Garcia are all suspended, they aren't likely to defect and pull advertisers with them to new events because it is the total field that draws and people will still be interested in seeing Watson, Furyk, and Spieth. The same is true of swimming and tennis.

This is very different in the UFC and it is the reason Ray Rice was pushed out after his offense while Floyd Mayweather continues despite a long history as a serial woman beater.

There are people that will claim regulators should step in and the state gaming and sport associations should impose the sanctions but that won't stop promotions since they can literally go anywhere in the world to make it happen.

I disagree with 2 things in your post.  

The UFC brand is the attraction, not necessarily the fighters.   Zuffa has promoted thier brand and Dana White more than anyone else, with the recent exception of Ronda Rousy and COnner McGregor.   Casual fans say they are watching the UFC on Saturday night and then can name one fighter on the card and none of the 23 other fighters.   The UFC did this in order to be the draw themselves and not rely on any one fighter, thus keeping contract prices down.   They have succeeded in doing this to the tune of driving long time fans away, while new more casual fans know no better and just order the PPV because it's UFC.   They also use exclusive contracts and have numerous restrictions to where their stable of 500 or so athletes can't even wear their sponsorships during fight week or at any events, unless it' sReebok or Monster energy drink.   

They don't have to worry about their competitors signing fighters they shelve because they don't cut a fighter they want to keep, they merely suspend him.   Wanderlei Silva is suspended for life for example.   His fighting career is over.   Stlll under contract with the UFC but suspended for life.   Granted his suspension is from the athletic commission.   Anthony Johnson was suspended indefinitely just months ago and now he's fighting for Jon Jones title.   And now Jones is suspended indefinitely, and can go no where else.  Advantage UFC.   

As for Floyd Mayweather, he is the promoter.   He isn't going to suspend himself, he's the one putting on the fight.   He pays his opponent.   He pays for the venue, everything.   And in turn he collects all of the money.   

Players don't get suspended because of some moral belief the team owners have, they get suspended because they make their organization look bad.   That's why Rice got suspended and Peterson as well.   If it were not for public opinion, no one would get suspended for breaking laws.   But Mayweather wants to be viewed as a villain.   It makes no sense for him to suspend himself.   If anything, his criminality makes his brand even more recognizable.   

Jones is a terrible person and the Zuffa/UFC tried to play dumb as long as they could.    Once he became a fugitive and broke a pregnant woman's arm, shortly after fleeing with stacks of hundred dollar bills, the UFC (remember Reebok Monster FOX etc) had no choice but to pull Jones.   But notice they did ot cut him.   They still own him, they just sat him down for a time out until things cool down.   

Interesting that you call Jones a terrible person but say that Johnson carries himself well.  You might need a little refresher course about Johnson's past behavior (which actually may be worse than Jones depending on your perspective).

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/9/25/6837283/anthony-rumble-johnson-ufc-domestic-violence 

Well you have to consider what I actually said.   

I didn't say Johnson has always carried himself well.    

He currently is doing an excellent job of portraying himself as one of the most quality guys on the stable.   I don't know how closely you follow MMA/UFC, if you do, you know he wont even as much as engage in trash talk.   He is going out of his way to be the very best Anthony Johnson we have ever seen.   I notice it and I appreciate it.   That is why I say he carries himself well, like a gentlemen and professionally.   From all accounts, he is also a great team mate.   Now if you want to get into how he used to carry himself, that would be another story entirely.   I'd put his past in the same category as Jones.   Not as bad butin the category

Iron Mike Tyson is an acquaintance of mine and I can tell you he is the nicest guy.   Very down to earth and laid back.  The kind of guy I would ask to look after my children for an afternoon (if I knew him a little better).   Of course you could counter he's a convicted rapist, he's a street thug, a menace, a drug addict, etc.   And you'd be dead on as far as his past is concerned.   I'm talking about the person presently.   Who are they now and how do they conduct themselves.

Jones is a terrible person