Sign in to follow this  
davidtaylorgangordie

UWW Juniors - 74kg

But what's being discussed isn't most years or most weights. I think people are trying to determine of the 2015 65KG weight for JR Worlds are tougher than the 65KG weight class at the 2015 US Open. 

I still don't see why Pico couldn't find a way to wrestle SR WTT and JR Worlds

I would think he has to qualify at Northern Plains then. I dont see USA Wrestling giving him the wild card spot over someone who chose to compete at US Open.

So recently beating some past world medalists won't help him get a wildcard...hmmm

I would think he has to qualify at Northern Plains then. I dont see USA Wrestling giving him the wild card spot over someone who chose to compete at US Open.

Exactly, and he is one of the three best in the USA at 65 kg. I feel pretty confident that Metcalf and Oliver won't be there.

I don't think he is even eligible for a wilcard

http://content.themat.com/forms/2015WTT-MFSWildcard.pdf

Applicants who meet one of the numbered items below will be eligible to apply for a wildcard:

1. Top 3 finisher from the 2013 or 2014 Freestyle World Team Trials (Senior)

2. Champion from a Senior-level North American or Pan American United World Wrestling International competition from May 1, 2013 up to the 2015 World Team Trials

3. Top 3 finisher from the 2012 Freestyle Olympic Trials

4. Top 3 finisher from the 2015 NCAA I Championships

Not gonna lie it would be pretty hilarious if Pico planned on entering Northern Plains and then Metcalf decides to make the drive up and keep him out of WTT.

Didn't Mocco do that one time? He entered all the regionals to prevent others from qualifying.

So recently beating some past world medalists won't help him get a wildcard...hmmm

I think it sets a bad precedent of skipping the Open to compete against inferior competition. 

EDIT: and as Hawktalk3 pointed out he doesn't even appear to be eligible for a wildcard.

Edited by wrestlingphish

I think it sets a bad precedent of skipping the Open to compete against inferior competition. 

EDIT: and as Hawktalk3 pointed out he doesn't even appear to be eligible for a wildcard.

Dear lord.  AGAIN... Junior World championships is NOT inferior competition.  NONE of you know who will be representing those countries at 65kg so we can't compare just yet.

And it isn't a 'precedent.'  That's just being asinine.  At least what wrestlingnerd has to say is an opinion that others have.  I do not agree with it, but it at least has merit.  He's a Junior-aged athlete.  He and his camp don't believe he will make the Senior World team.  So he has an opportunity to get great foreign competition, all the while, continuing his preparation for his goal - a 2016 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL.  He has NEVER stated he wanted to be on the Senior 2015 World Team, and I would imagine, he's probably ahead of schedule, considering 2020 was his goal initially.  

Didn't Mocco do that one time? He entered all the regionals to prevent others from qualifying.

Haha I do seem to remember him doing that one year. I believe it was an Olympic year that he did that.

Dear lord.  AGAIN... Junior World championships is NOT inferior competition.  NONE of you know who will be representing those countries at 65kg so we can't compare just yet.

And it isn't a 'precedent.'  That's just being asinine.  At least what wrestlingnerd has to say is an opinion that others have.  I do not agree with it, but it at least has merit.  He's a Junior-aged athlete.  He and his camp don't believe he will make the Senior World team.  So he has an opportunity to get great foreign competition, all the while, continuing his preparation for his goal - a 2016 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL.  He has NEVER stated he wanted to be on the Senior 2015 World Team, and I would imagine, he's probably ahead of schedule, considering 2020 was his goal initially.  

I was referring to him skipping the Senior US Open to wrestle in the Junior US Open. A wildcard would be a moot point by the time the Jr World tournament rolls around don't you think?

Edited by wrestlingphish

I was referring to him skipping the Senior US Open to wrestle in the Junior US Open. A wildcard would be a moot point by the time the Jr World tournament rolls around don't you think?

I know what you are referring to, and i'm saying it's asinine.  This belief that he is setting a "bad precedent" by skipping the Sr US Open, is wrong.  It's clear he has no plans on wrestling in the Senior WTT.  

I think if he were to skip the Senior US Open to wrestle the Junior US Open and then were to be granted that wildcard to Sr WTT that would be a bad precedent in my opinion. That specific scenario. Not that skipping the US Open in general is a bad precedent. Hell, I am on the record as saying Burroughs shouldn't ever come back as long as he doesn't have to. Don't try to twist my statement about one specific scenario to apply it to another. If you don't think he is planning on wrestling in the Sr WTT then why would you even respond to a discussion about his potential wildcard status? Just say he isn't applying for one and move on.

I have no problem with Pico skipping senior level events this year to wrestle in juniors if that is what he wants to do.

On hand Pico can go with the Junior division and make it deep in the brackets atJunior World. This is a basically a guarantee at getting solid international experience.

On the other hand he could skip the U.S. Junior competition to try to just make the Senior U.S. Team. Since he is not a lock for that spot he could end up watching the Senior Worlds from the sidelines. Thus getting no international competition at all.

Seems like he's going the Junior route to ensure he gets international competition and letting the chips fall as they may by limiting his oppertunity to qualify for the Senior level. Seems like a logical move in terms of making sure he gets more international experience.

Edited by MadMardigain

It's funny, the name of this thread is UWW Juniors - 74kg. And what a weight class it is. Flo did a GREAT preview of the weight class (I'm not affiliated and geez they provide a great service to the community).

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252173-2015-ASICS-US-Open/article/31351-Im-Taking-Mark-Hall-Over-Marsteller-Nolf-Chavez-and-Massa#.VUvjZNNViko

They pick Hall but Hrovat picks Massa.

It's funny, the name of this thread is UWW Juniors - 74kg. And what a weight class it is. Flo did a GREAT preview of the weight class (I'm not affiliated and geez they provide a great service to the community).

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252173-2015-ASICS-US-Open/article/31351-Im-Taking-Mark-Hall-Over-Marsteller-Nolf-Chavez-and-Massa#.VUvjZNNViko

They pick Hall but Hrovat picks Massa.

Nice preview, but I'm not buying what he is selling with regards to Logan Massa. Top 3 at this weight are Marstellar, Hall and Nolf. 

Daniel Lewis beats Logan Massa 12-9

Marsteller with some slick freestyle skills to tech Hammond 10-0. Marsteller is gonna win this.

Looks like someone owes someone some pushups....

I bet @WillieAtFLO 100 push ups that @massa_logan will win the Jr's against the field, straight up no odds!! #Vegas— Andy Hrovat (@AndyHrovat) May 5, 2015

Oh my!  Please forgive me OH Omniscience One.  Humbly forgive my impudence! I kneel beneath thee in utter embarrassment of my pontification!

The entire response is great but this opening is amazing.  Thanks. Made my day

Looks like someone owes someone some pushups....

I bet @WillieAtFLO 100 push ups that @massa_logan will win the Jr's against the field, straight up no odds!! #Vegas— Andy Hrovat (@AndyHrovat) May 5, 2015

Forgive me. I just had a great meal at a great restaurant, and maybe I drank too much Scotch but ....................... just LOL. 

Agreed with the previous poster... this thread is the 74kg thread... not a Pico thread.  He has plenty of threads... Instead, focusing on the fab four at 74kg should be the topic.

Nolf took out Chance, Chavez with an amazing comeback, and JoJo  going up against what many predict to be just as good (maybe better?) than Pico (but just in a different weight class).  

Fireworks galore here folks... let's leave the Pico/Zain final and any discussion around his choices to another thread.  Boom...

These predictions and $7 should get you as cup of coffee at Starbucks this morning. 

Micic over Mueller

Lizak over Fix

Micic wins it all

Harding over Ernests

McKee over Pletch

Moran over Crane

Magaldo over Thorn

Magaldo wins it all

Pico over Bannister

Retherford over Parriott

Micah Jordan over Colgan

Pantaleo over Laww