Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Impactful assistant coaches

I was reading the assistant coaches on the move thread and it had me wonder, who are some of the assistant coaches out there that are having wide-spread impact upon their teams? We saw that Sammie Henson was one of those guys and has transitioned those skills over very, very well to WVU, but who else tends would be a great loss for the programs that have them now, should the assistant move on?

Guest Kingsland

Damian Hahn from Cornell lept to my mind first. Terry Brands too.

This is a question that is nearly impossible for people outside a program to answer. Unless someone knows the ins and outs of the day to day on a team, assessing credit/blame for assistant coaches is difficult. It's a popularity contest as much as anything when fans discuss it. If the head coach is a big enough name, fans assign team success to the head coach. If the head coach is less of a "name" than his top assistant, fans praise the assistant.

Edited by IronChef

This is a question that is nearly impossible for people outside a program to answer. Unless someone knows the ins and outs of the day to day on a team, assessing credit/blame for assistant coaches is difficult. It's a popularity contest as much as anything when fans discuss it. If the head coach is a big enough name, fans assign team success to the head coach. If the head coach is less of a "name" than his top assistant, fans praise the assistant.

That may be true to an extent, but don't forget that a lot of these assistants are weight specific...guys like Terry Brands, Lou Rosseli, Casey Cunningham always recruiting/developing top guys around their weight isn't coincidence.

Terry Brands is not a weight specific coach. He works extensively with Iowa's upper weights as well.

I apologize, however the fact that a guy like Terry can get "hands on" with a lighter weight certainly helps.

Sure, he can wrestle a bigger guy and do just as well, but it's not as beneficial to face someone that much smaller.

Michael Lightner at OU has had two national champs in the past 3 years, with Kendric Maple, and Cody Brewer. Brewer really started improving late last year, once he got the single leg mastered he really became dominant.

The thing about the Brands' is, they very rarely are in the corner together. It's almost always one of them with Morningstar, or one of them with Berhow. One thing I always try my best to report on, especially in the later rounds of a tournament, is which coaches are in the corners with which wrestlers. Patterns do emerge sometimes: Some coaches (Cael Sanderson comes to mind) are almost always in the corner, whereas some coaches (Jim Heffernan is a good example here) almost never are. Tells you which assistants are working with which wrestlers, as well as the style of the head coach. (you figure Sanderson is a heck of a lot more hands-on than Heffernan, based on what I stated above)

Thought that Burroughs would have pushed Kokesh and Green over the top to a title.

Kokesh had his best year yet...just fell short in one of the matches that counted most...being a PIttsburgh guy I was happy to see Wilps win, however he got that first TD and really played the edge.

"Impactful"?

Too much mat time. Too little classroom time.

Impactful is one of those words that has gained some acceptance in that past 15 or 20 years.  

http://grammarist.com/words/impactful/

One of my recent favorites is "efforting" from the Dan Patrick radio show.  

Dan:  "Were you able to contact the commissioner for a rebuttal?"

One of the Danettes:   "No, but we're efforting."