Sign in to follow this  
LongShot

US Open Incentive

I would ask, what's the incentive to have a us open at all? The "real" nationals is the trials, and both athletes and fans seem to be lukewarm over attending the open. I can't imagine it makes a lot of money, so why is it needed?

i dont mind the current set up. separates the WTT into two stages. 2 tournies are better than one. 

ideally the US Open would be a true open and one of the "Majors" of the fictional international pro wrestling circuit that only exists in my mind but that's not a realistic option. not yet anyway. 

if there was no NCAAs and folkstyle and we had 64 wrestlers in each weight class like the Russians that would be cool too, but that 1 tournament doesn't settle the team for the Russians though, does it? Don't the coaches still use other international tournaments as wrestle offs in case of upsets? 

so yeah, i like the current set up. Burroughs and Dlagnev have earned the right to sit out the Open stage. both of them have a plenty busy competition schedule. 

To answer the OP (my quote button still doesn't work), guess there is zero incentive for guys like Burroughs, or Dake to enter the Open. JB is already penciled into the WTT finals, and everyone else has to get through the WTT bracket just to face him for a best of three. And if they do beat JB, they then have to out place JB in an ensuing international tournament. Possible, but highly unlikely.

That would be an amazing feat.

Lately the Russian champion gets the nod the vast majority of the time. They do have wrestle offs or additional tournaments when the coaches think it's necessary. Sometimes a proven champion will get an exemptions from nationals. Pretty rare to have someone who actually gets beat at nationals get the nod (Gatsalov and Vlasov recently ) or to give a chance to someone who misses nationals without permission.

To answer the OP (my quote button still doesn't work), guess there is zero incentive for guys like Burroughs, or Dake to enter the Open. JB is already penciled into the WTT finals, and everyone else has to get through the WTT bracket just to face him for a best of three. And if they do beat JB, they then have to out place JB in an ensuing international tournament. Possible, but highly unlikely.

That would be an amazing feat.

Burroughs has a pass to the WTT finals due to being a medalist last year. Dake won Northeast Regional and thus is qualified for the WTT. Neither need to go to the US Open.

Yeah, but the question is, what if someone does beat JB in the best of three? Are they then the USA rep, or do they then have to place higher than JB in an international tournament to dethrone the Champ?  

Yeah, but the question is, what if someone does beat JB in the best of three? Are they then the USA rep, or do they then have to place higher than JB in an international tournament to dethrone the Champ?  

Yes, they are the rep if they beat JB (or TD) in the best-of-3. No longer have to out place them in an international tourney.