Sign in to follow this  
Ron Burgundy?

5 things every wrestler learns freshman year of college

Maybe we can add some more?

6. No one cares about your emotional state, move on.

7. No one cares about your parents, unless they have a lot of money.

8. Free time is a thing of the past.

9. If you don't like something, tough, your replaceable.

I wrestled pre-skin checks and weight certification so some things were different but a couple of those still ring true. I've got a couple others.

Practice is real tough with a hang-over. Beer (lots of it) and wrestling do not mix.

Girls are a distraction and often trouble, don't get attached to one. Maybe as you get near graduation but certainly not your first couple of years.

You are not guaranteed a starting spot even if you're the best guy in the room. Oh and there will be another tough guy wanting your spot. Guys are not always changing weights to fill holes in the roster like high school.  

Unlike high school you will probably only see the other wrestlers while training and you won't be friends with most of them. You'll be friendly but not friends, there is a difference.

I wrestled pre-skin checks and weight certification so some things were different but a couple of those still ring true. I've got a couple others.

Practice is real tough with a hang-over. Beer (lots of it) and wrestling do not mix.

Girls are a distraction and often trouble, don't get attached to one. Maybe as you get near graduation but certainly not your first couple of years.

You are not guaranteed a starting spot even if you're the best guy in the room. Oh and there will be another tough guy wanting your spot. Guys are not always changing weights to fill holes in the roster like high school.  

Unlike high school you will probably only see the other wrestlers while training and you won't be friends with most of them. You'll be friendly but not friends, there is a difference.

Very good points, I missed those!

From what I have seen all the wrestlers are great friends outside the room. No one else on campus understands the wrestlers, except the wrestlers.

I suppose that will depend upon the wrestlers and the school. Times may have changed since the mid-80s but it was a couple of years before I really became friends with any other wrestlers.

My freshman year a Judas Priest t-shirt wearing stoner in my dorm was a closer friend than any of the wrestlers.   

Edited by Zebra

Confused as to his point on the one hour weigh ins comparing college to high school.

In both college and high school a max of one hour is the rule for weigh ins for duals, tri and quads.

In both college and high school a max of two hours is the rule for weigh ins for individual tournaments and team advancement tournaments. 

I've seen plenty of tournament directors alter the times inside of the maximum window so I would think a high school wrestler is pretty used to the same weigh in window that college wrestlers go through.

Edited by Rakkasan91

Pffft...my coach told us the best thing we could do was get laid an hour or two before a match, and I dated the trainer girl, who went to all duals and tourneys, so I followed his advice.  Worked for me.

Pffft...my coach told us the best thing we could do was get laid an hour or two before a match, and I dated the trainer girl, who went to all duals and tourneys, so I followed his advice.  Worked for me.

Medicine Man........I'm in shock....never expected to hear that from you.....maybe Jadidi.....but not you :(

1. My best friends today were my college teammates back then.  My friends today not on my team were on someone else's college team.  I hate the meat-headed mentality that you have to hate your opponents.

2. Within a month I realized I was no where as good as I thought I was and immediately began asking my teammates for help and advice on all sorts of things wrestling and academic related.

3. My coach was a good coach, and could barely care less about emotional well being.  Fact is, too many good kids to waste time on head cases and academic/behavioral degenerates.  

I too could not disagree more on the friend / teammate thing. Our team was tight. Tight to the point that incoming freshmen were told if you're on this team you won't join a frat. Our coach instilled in us. The wrestlers that came before us were that way and those that followed were too. There aren't many bonds stronger than the ones formed with pain and suffering.

Confused as to his point on the one hour weigh ins comparing college to high school.

In both college and high school a max of one hour is the rule for weigh ins for duals, tri and quads.

In both college and high school a max of two hours is the rule for weigh ins for individual tournaments and team advancement tournaments.

I've seen plenty of tournament directors alter the times inside of the maximum window so I would think a high school wrestler is pretty used to the same weigh in window that college wrestlers go through.

In High School there is usually a JV dual meet between weigh ins and the Varsity dual. Hence, Varsity actually has 2 hours between weigh ins and wrestling. As long as JV starts within an hour, the rule is satisfied. That's how my high school did it. At least I think that's what the author was alluding to.

Edited by Ari Gold