Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

Anthony Valencia at the Sr. Level

Into the semis with a 10-5 win over Colt Sponsellor.  Pretty impressive and ironic that he's wrestling seniors, but his high school teammate, Aaron Pico, is not.   Stud.  Looks like he'll face Howe in the semis, which I'm predicting will be a win by Howe, but still an intriguing match.  

I think you meant in the quarters of Sponsellor but yeah he is pretty impressive. His double from space is unbelievable and he's tough.

A couple of other ironies. his teammate and brother Zahid is wrestling juniors as is Mark Hall who beat him 11-1 (whatever the case it was a dominating win) in the Who's #1 not too long ago. Hall is wrestling juniors.

Nothing against him wrestling seniors, but I think he would have been better served wrestling juniors, and going for a junior world title.  Rubber will hit the road against Howe.

Nothing against him wrestling seniors, but I think he would have been better served wrestling juniors, and going for a junior world title.  Rubber will hit the road against Howe.

He can still wrestle Juniors at World Team Trials he will just have to go through the mini tournament to reach the Open Champion in the 2 out of 3 finals.  

Very happy for Anthony.  Rubber will meet the road with Howe though.  I expect it to be close, because Howe always keeps it close (see matches with DT).  If, for some magical reason, Valencia does make it past Howe, good luck to you bro, as now you're reaching rarified air (a la Dake, DT, Burroughs), with Burroughs still completely out of reach. 

On Juniors side, yes... Hall is looking tough (based on the results from Track).  The Nolf/Marstellar match may be a little bit epic, but then you've got Hall standing in the way.  Valencia, even dropping down to the Juniors, would have Hall... and Hall (not even a senior yet) has already provided enough proof that he too is in rarified air territory.  Hope to see them BOTH do well, but Marstellar and Nolf are no slouches. 

All in all, 74kg in the good old US of A is home to the BEST in the world!

Into the semis with a 10-5 win over Colt Sponsellor.  Pretty impressive and ironic that he's wrestling seniors, but his high school teammate, Aaron Pico, is not.   Stud.  Looks like he'll face Howe in the semis, which I'm predicting will be a win by Howe, but still an intriguing match.  

Troll.  Why ironic? Pico is doing what he wants... Val is do what he wants... what's the irony?

Lol. not a troll at all.  No need to be so sensitive and defensive.  I'm a huge fan and supporter of EVERYTHING Pico has done and is doing.  Irony means opposite of what you would expect.  So, between the two hs teammates, it's the opposite of what I would have expected.  If you would have asked any of us a year or two ago who would be wrestling seniors and who would be wrestling UWW juniors in 2015, we would have all had it the opposite of what it is now.  I'm trying to give Valencia some major props.  No knock on Pico.  I'm also trying to praise  that entire program.  Look at Pico, both Valencias, and what Olivas is doing (he's competing in Cuba right now), and it's quite amazing.  

I want Valencia to beat Howe, but I don't think it will happen.  

On another note, I can't remember if Sponsellor ever AA'd in college.  Can someone help me with that stat?

Guest Kingsland

Valencia loses 7-4 to Howe, but he looked pretty good and even scored on a blast double. He's going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Logan will be fine... a few more months of FS and WTT's coming up.  Although I didn't see the 3rd place match against Kellen, anytime you're teched, it can't be good.  Agreed that there's rust there, but I can't help in getting the feeling that Logan is a bit undersized... 

I dunno... I'm pulling for Logie all the way... but... something's amiss

It is a valid point.   It's been 6 years and he isn't showing improvement at least in terms of domestic placement.  

I wish he was down a weight class, I think he could be the man there.   I just don't see him moving up much so long as Pico or Metcalf are in the mix.