Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

Anthony Valencia at the Sr. Level

It would be ridiculous if they got that wrong and the way Valencia wrestled Howe I would not be surprised if it's true.

Also, I'm not sure what the incentives are but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of reason to try for third vs fourth. Ruth took third, also according to Track.

Nice. Rough tournament for Caldwell.

Regarding Stieber; he's been wrestling a lot of freestyle for a long time. No doubt he will get better but I don't foresee the drastic improvement some guys make when finishing college. Might be a bit undersized but he's pretty thick already, not sure how much bigger he will get either.

I was sitting no more than 30 feet from the action and Valencia just mauled his opponent.  It's difficult to believe what he's doing against these guys who are much older and experienced than he is.   He just does not care.   That double of his is going to take him a long way in college.   I don't see any reason why he needs a redshirt, other than to shoot for undefeated career.   

I just saw the replay of the match on Flo. Lateral drop for 4, Double for 2. Double for 4. 10-0 tech.. That was the most impressive single-match performance of the entire US Open relative to expectations, in my opinion. Valencia is an animal. I cannot believe he lost to Mark Hall so badly not that long ago. The top HS kids are just unreal these days.

Nice. Rough tournament for Caldwell.

Regarding Stieber; he's been wrestling a lot of freestyle for a long time. No doubt he will get better but I don't foresee the drastic improvement some guys make when finishing college. Might be a bit undersized but he's pretty thick already, not sure how much bigger he will get either.

Caldwell was doing very good, teching everyone and just conceded a point, until he hit on DT and Valencia.

I was sitting no more than 30 feet from the action and Valencia just mauled his opponent.  It's difficult to believe what he's doing against these guys who are much older and experienced than he is.   He just does not care.   That double of his is going to take him a long way in college.   I don't see any reason why he needs a redshirt, other than to shoot for undefeated career.   

I read somewhere that he would redshirt. I just hope he doesn't.

I finally watched the Valencia-Caldwell match. If you have Flo, you gotta watch it. It's a complete demolition. Lateral drop at the start for four. Then a blast double for two. Then a blast double for four with 21 seconds to go IN THE FIRST PERIOD.

Regarding next year for the Valencias, I read last year that they are going to redshirt next year and try to concentrate on freestyle to try and make the 2016 Olympics.

Not surprising to me that he teched Caldwell either.  Not bad for a kid who hasn't even graduated HS yet!

I also hope Valencia doesn't red shirt. No reason to. 

And honestly, if he's healthy now, redshirting is a gamble. You never know when you'll get an injury. Dake was relatively healthy through his college career, then became bothered by injuries right afterwards. I think he had a hand injury right after his college career had ended, and then had a foot problem soon after that. If he had redshirted, he might have "only' been a three-timer.

Edited by Katie

I think he had a hand injury right after his college career had ended, and then had a foot problem soon after that. If he had redshirted, he might have "only' been a three-timer.

He then had a shoulder injury that sidelined him for 3-4 months. He has been injured almost the whole time since he graduated college. Three major injuries in two years.

On Kyle Dake's website he posted this in Dec 2014, seems like he broke his hand the day before the tournament in November 2013 (the one where he beat Tsargush and lost ot the backup Russian):

http://www.kyledake.com/#!blog/c5nc/Post/79IcKtYtpFV.text

Kyle Dake used to be the guy you never saw wearing a cast. Or hobbling around on crutches. In addition to being an outstanding wrestler, Dake managed to stay relatively healthy and avoid any major injuries during his magical, four-year collegiate wrestling career at Cornell University.

That’s why in 2013 he became just the third wrestler to win four NCAA Division I titles and then immediately made an impact while jumping into freestyle wrestling full-time on the Senior level. Dake threw a major scare into Olympic and World champion Jordan Burroughs at the 2013 World Team Trials before falling in overtime in the second bout of their entertaining best-of-3 series. But even the seemingly indestructible Dake, who plans to return to competition full-time in early 2015, started to break down.

Dake knocked off three-time World champion Denis Tsargush of Russia and two-time World medalist Ali Shabanov of Belarus in his first Senior-level overseas event in November 2013 in Azerbaijan. Making those wins even more impressive was the fact that Dake broke his hand the day before the tournament while wrestling with teammate Keith Gavin in practice.

“After I broke my hand, I talked to my coaches (Zeke Jones and Rob Koll) and they said you are already over here so you might as well wrestle if you can,” Dake said. “They said you won’t hurt your hand any more because it is already broken.”

Dake drew Shabanov in the first round and earned an impressive 7-1 win. He followed with a 10-5 win over Tsargush, who beat Burroughs en route to winning his third World title last month in Uzbekistan.

“I was barely able to use my hand,” Dake said. “It was tough – it was brutal trying to wrestle with one hand while competing at such a high level. I was able to get through those first two matches. I got a good gut wrench on Tsargush and was able to turn him.”

Dake followed by dropping a 7-1 semifinal decision to Gadzhi Gadzhiev of Russia. He fell 3-3 to Ashraf Aliyev of Azerbaijan in the bronze-medal bout at 74 kg/163 lbs.

“I expected to blow through the Russian in the semifinals after just beating Tsargush,” Dake said. “But my hand was really bothering me and the pain was just unbearable. And mentally I just wasn’t there. In the bronze match, I was up 3-1 late in the match and gave up a questionable takedown against the guy from Azerbaijan in Azerbaijan. It was a rough experience with the injury, but that tournament gave me a lot of confidence. I beat two really good wrestlers. It was a good experience for me.”

Dake recovered from his broken hand and stepped back on the mat in February, continuing his impressive run by winning the Cerro Pelado International in Cuba. His training was going well until the Friday before the NCAA tournament this past March. An assistant coach last season for Cornell, Dake was working out in the wrestling room when he heard something pop in his foot.

Valencia scored on two blast doubles for 4 and got another TD as well I believe. Completely outclassed Caldwell who also was a University World Gold medalist last year.

Caldwell is a tough guy to get a read on.  The only reason he even wrestled at the University World Games last year was that Ian Miller decided not to go. Miller decked him twice at the trials. 

That's exactly my point about Valencia. I think the guy is incredible. He's one of the most dynamic guys out there. Full of aggression with a nice arsenal of moves. He can score from ties and from space. But he didn't place third in a packed full bracket and beating Caldwell is unfortunately diminished by the fact Ian Miller dominated him in freestyle. I think Snyder's win is light years ahead in terms of how impressive it is. I don't think anyone said differently but I think so think a lot has been made of Valencia's loss to Howe. He stunned Howe with his ability to score and Howe adjusted and fought back. I think Valencia still belongs in juniors, though there was nothing wrong with his going the senior route. I do think he might regret not trying for the junior world title if he decides not to but that's a personal choice.