Sign in to follow this  
leshismore

What time are Semi EST. Thanks.

It's bad enough semis weren't suppose to start until 10pm et, but now they have multiple Greco matches first? They can have their own mats and people can choose to watch if they like. Instead, USA wrestling's thinks spoon feeding the freestyle fans a few matches is going to somehow increase it's popularity. Meanwhile, the odds of me (and many others) not falling asleep are getting slimmer and slimmer. As usual, well thought exposure for one of the biggest tournaments of the year. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

It's bad enough semis weren't suppose to start until 10pm et, but now they have multiple Greco matches first? They can have their own mats and people can choose to watch if they like. Instead, USA wrestling's thinks spoon feeding the freestyle fans a few matches is going to somehow increase it's popularity. 

Heaven forbid athletes who compete in this great sport of wrestling take up your precious screen time. This type of discontent used to only be shown towards the women's wrestling. Now it's seeped into Greco (through no fault of the athletes). 

I just don't get "wrestling" fans sometimes. It's wrestling, it's the U.S. Learn and be a fan. 

The sport is great.  The organization is laughable.

How about the debacle of the challenges today --- especially in the AM session.  Wrestlers had to put on their warm-ups it took so long to complete the process.  Embarrassing.

And the prelims were crammed into an area that was sardine like.....But the sport side of the event was awesome.

And yes, starting so late was typical....Cannot understand why it cannot be better organized.

JB, you really are delusional when it comes to USA Wrestling. Why do fans have the obligation to like Greco or Women's wrestling? It's a matter of personal preference, end of discussion; and when the schedule says freestyle semis will start at 10 and then they have a half hour of Greco instead so it doesn't start until 10:30, it's clear that fans were misled and have a right to gripe; Especially for those of us in the eastern timezone. I was dozing off during one of the best matches of the night (Ruth v Herbert) and was out cold before Varner's match.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Heaven forbid athletes who compete in this great sport of wrestling take up your precious screen time. This type of discontent used to only be shown towards the women's wrestling. Now it's seeped into Greco (through no fault of the athletes). 

I just don't get "wrestling" fans sometimes. It's wrestling, it's the U.S. Learn and be a fan. 

I turned it off and went to bed. I am up at 6am every day and something called "life" got in the way. Who'd of thunk it. 

Usually the fans dictate what they want to watch by voting with the feet (and $$$). Wrestling has virtually no money and virtually no sponsors so fans have little say. I would wage a pretty penny that if wrestling were a sponsored sport woman's wrestling and greco would get close to zero screen time.

Usually the fans dictate what they want to watch by voting with the feet (and $$$). Wrestling has virtually no money and virtually no sponsors so fans have little say. I would wage a pretty penny that if wrestling were a sponsored sport woman's wrestling and greco would get close to zero screen time.

There is a lot of truth to this statement.  Here is where I see the rub between frustrated fans and white knights like JB.

Frustrated Fans (me included):

--------------------------------------

1. View myself as a consumer/customer of the sport.  As a consumer (whether paying directly or adding viewership, clicks, or feet that can be used to generate advertising revenue), I have an expectation level for the quality of the experience (streaming, refereeing, in person experience, etc).  When it falls short, I feel I have a right to bitch.

2. As passionate fans, we have an emotional investment into the athletes and the sport.  When we are not able to enjoy the sport (to the degree we wish) for reasons we see as correctable, it is going to generate an emotional response.

3. As consumers, we feel we have the right to have our own preferences of the type of wrestling we enjoy (FS, Women's and/or Greco) and don't feel compelled to enjoy all of them

White Knights

-----------------

1. The sport has improved dramatically over last 10 years from an access perspective  -- largely due to the net.

2. Sport struggles financially.

3. Many White Knights (like JB) have contributed a great deal personally to the improvements seen in recent years.  Thus, they have a personal investment that surpasses the fans.

4. Feel that frustrated fans may actually detract from further advancement of the sport.

5. Recognize that Wrestling is an international sport, not an American one.  Not embracing Greco and Women's to the same degree we embrace FS is not a progressive view and shows American ignorance/bias.

That's how I see it.  I get both perspectives.  And like most things in life, somewhere in the middle is probably where the truth and solutions lie. 

Angry_Fish, I wholeheartedly agree so let me add a few things. One thing I dislike is whiners and people who don't face facts.

I love these boards because there is a small community of people who share a love of the sport and bother to post commentary and engage in conversation. Try that at a party of bar that's not at NCAAs. 

As far as I'm concerned frustration is natural but the sense of entitlement I sometimes see on these boards amazes me. As fans we are entitled to nothing. We just happen to be very unlucky that the sport we love has a limited fan base. I personally wish for more but truth be told my contribution to wrestling consists of approximately 300 posts on these boards and a subscription to Flo (well, maybe a little more, but whatever). So what am I entitled to?

It's up to the governing bodies to decide how to balance the near-term needs of the sport (keeping the fans happy) and the longer-term needs (embracing change and therefore risking peeving the fans). It's good that the fans express their wishes and while I see a lot of less then diplomatic posts on these boards what fanbase was ever known for great statesmanship? I've heard some pretty awesome off-the-record conversations about woman's basketball and how about those soccer fans?

The biggest thing USA wrestling lacks is a more or less sane and rational deep pocketed donor who can through a combination of fund raising and personal investment provide significant financial support for our athletes.

I mean the kind of support that would give athletes a chance to develop beyond college. I mean the kind of support that would go beyond a few bucks to those who bring home medals. I mean way more than Beat the Streets (which is awesome, don't get me wrong). I mean funding multi-year athlete-in-residence programs at the OTC for athletes of all ages and at all stages of their lives. This would give athletes something to aspire to beyond college and would offer the chance to develop a true national team. But the financial requirements of such a program go beyond anything (so far as I know) we have seen to date.

Edited by BigTimeFan