Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

So many high quality finals

We should get some conversation going, here's what I find interesting about each:

61kg: Kendric Maple, Sooner WC vs. Reece Humphrey, NYAC ... Maple was on fire, Humphrey down a weight and looking in fine form. 

65kg: Brent Metcalf, NYAC vs. Jordan Oliver, Sunkist Kids ... someone said JO looks beat up, but boy would it be nice for him to dethrone Metcalf. Metcalf looked very beatable vs Molinaro and JO's style seems perfect to take him out.

70kg: Nick Marable, Sunkist Kids vs. Dustin Schlatter, MN ... Marable is a bore and a plodder. A damn good bore and plodder but Schlatter is dynamic and exciting. Is he back and will he get past Marable's strong defense?

74kg: David Taylor, NLWC vs. Andrew Howe, NYAC ... Taylor was on fire vs Caldwell. Has he turned the corner? Meanwhile Howe looked vulnerable vs Valencia or is Valencia just that good? Howe looked like a rock and just kept charging. If Taylor can win convincingly vs Howe, that will be a sign he's taken it to the next level.

86kg: Jake Herbert, NYAC vs. Keith Gavin, TMWC ... Did Herbert figure out whatever the heck he needed to figure out? Is Herbert back for real?

97kg: Jake Varner, NLWC vs. Kyle Snyder, TMWC ... In a final with mainly vets is great to see some young blood in the mix. I had selfishly wished for Pico to go senior and make the finals (though he would have been third seed) and was rooting for Valencia. Snyder's one of the next generation for USA wrestling and it's good to see him in the finals.

Humphrey

Metcalf

Schlatter

Taylor

Herbert

Varner

Dlagnev

Looks like Metcalf and Schlatter might finally be on a world team together after all these years.  Those practice battles are going to be pretty nostalgic for them I'm sure.

Edited by GoNotQuietly

I expect Metcalf to beat Oliver, he seems to be on his peak right now and I think he is, aside of Burroughs, the only american hope for gold in the Worlds this year.

And man, Schlatter is on a tear, I really hope he beats Marable.

Edited by Axe_Spartan

57 Ramos has a shot at getting upset.

61 I think Humphrey wins comfortably.

65 I will be surprised of JO is able to wrestle tonight.  And if he does, he will be so far from 100%, i give him little chance.  Hopefully he is 100% for WTTs.

70 I like Schallter in this one.  To me, this is the most exciting final (ironic that it at a non-Olympic weight)

74 Taylor.

86 Gavin will take it.  Herbert is regaining form every time out but still a little sloppy and not in top shape (yet).

97 Varner by a TD

125 Dlagnev.

That's the thing about Metcalf. Reminds me of the age-old wisdom of Pulp Fiction (Marcellus Wallace to Butch):

Besides, Butch, how many fights you think you got left in you anyway? Two? Boxers don't have an "old timer's league". You came close, but you never made it, and if you were gonna make it, you would have made it before now.

Love metcalf and would love to see him punch his ticket at worlds and get a medal but this is the 3rd year in a row he's "been at his best" and I don't believe he's won a match at worlds yet.

I think he got injured in his first match in the Worlds last year.

And his weight is not that strong, Bekbulatov (the russian national champion) seemed very beatable on their finals of the Yarygin this year, I think Metcalf can beat him and anyone else on this weight.

If i'm not wrong Metcalf has won one match in his three world championships appearances, which was in 2014 when he got a win in his initial match. In my opinion he's just a clear case of not good enough. When everyone's in shape he can't get it done, in other tournaments when guys aren't as prepared he can and does get big wins. When you're a guy who's in shape 24/7 you're going to beat guys who are better than you, as opposed to guys who take breaks and aren't in peak condition year round. On a good day I think he can get a bronze, but making a final regardless of bracket is tough, he's in the best weight class in wrestling. Not everyone is going to be good enough to medal at the world level, regardless of the work they put in. 

Edited by Shiraz123

I've heard that metcalf was a title contender for a long time now. Very interesting considering how poor he performs every year at worlds. I'd really like to see someone else get the nod (unless it's Kellen russell) by 2016.

I think it's funny how people have been calling Metcalf old for atleast 4-5 years now. Is that because he was so good starting way back in high school? What is he 28? How old is Nick Simmons? Schlatter? Herbert? Bergman? Dlagnev? To name a few

Love metcalf and would love to see him punch his ticket at worlds and get a medal but this is the 3rd year in a row he's "been at his best" and I don't believe he's won a match at worlds yet.

This is a good point.   There will be no bigger Metcalf fan out there this year if he's able to make the world team, but I've also learned to temper my expectations where he is concerned.    

Brent is phenomenal during the off season, but if you're here in Las Vegas and watching him compete, you see the chinks in the armor now that it's serious time.   The rest of the world doesn't care about his NCAA title or that popularity contest he won, they call the Hodge.   Brent has to figure out a way to win more than one match on the grand stage when it actually matters.   

I hope Brent can finally do it, next season Pico will be the man here.   so this is his final shot at world level hardware.   

Can he do it?  Will he do it?

Lets just be glad we have others who have a more clear shot at winning more hardware and others (Dustin) who could very well break out this year and get on the medal stand.   

LOL at all the Metcalf hate in this thread. What exactly has Oliver done on the international level to make you think he'd do better? Hell, if Metcalf is so past his prime and beatable, what does it say about Oliver be that he gets beat by him damn near every time they wrestle? I mean Oliver has failed to make 65kg on multiple occasions and should have been beaten by Russell (Oliver's hand hit out first last night). Is he really a better option?

Or maybe Pico, who made zero offensive attempts in his match with Metcalf and was never even close to sniffing a victory, should be the guy? Anyone but Metcalf right?

Metcalf has numerous wins over world medalists in tournaments outside Worlds. He has taken 2nd at Yarigin on multiple occasions. He has lost exactly one match domestically since the 2012 Olympic Trials.  He wins by attacking and putting points on the board for 6 minutes. No one on Team USA has had as much success as Metcalf this Olympic cycle besides Burroughs and Dlagnev, yet very few here want him to be our guy. Baffling really.

Again with the Pico this, Pico that... keep in mind folks, he's still a High Schooler... and a darn good one at that... BUT... what's another year of entering 'manhood' going to do to his body size/style/weight?  Prognosticating that he's going to stick at 65kg for a whole nother year while he continues to mature may be a bit myopic. 

I see him possibly being a 'tweener' in 2016 (a la 70kg).  If he attempts the cut to 65kg, the toll of the cut may impact his ability to dethrone Metcalf/Jo/Russell/Stieber.  If he goes to 74kg, he's got an absolute wrecking crew in Burroughs/DT/Dake/Howe/Valencia/Mark Hall/Alex Dieringer/etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc... 

I wish Pico the best, but sometimes, physiology just happens.

Brent's age isn't my concern, he could wrestle as long as he wants and I won't knock him for that. I will say (again) that his record at worlds is abismal. What makes me think oliver would do better? Nothing really, but he couldn't really do much worse. I think he's more technical than brent which is more important in my mind than brents lungs when everyone is in peak shape.

Then why can't Oliver beat Brent when they are both at peak shape? If he is more technical, and they are both peaking, then Oliver should win more often than not. But he doesn't. Oliver may be slicker but I seriously doubt that he is more technical. Using a variety of flashy moves against inferior competition doesn't make you more technical. 

Full disclosure --- I am big JO fan...

JO has not deserved to be on the team (yet) b/c he has not been able to beat Brent at WTTs.  But I can certainly understand why someone could think that JO MIGHT do better than BM internationally due to their drastically different styles.  JO's international resume is nowhere near BM's so far.  He won gold at Schultz w/ little International presence and Bronze at Dogu, But it was at 70KG.  But I agree with the other posters that his style might fare better internationally if he can ever get make the team.

It's a shame JO has that bum leg tonight.  It will be very difficult for anyone to beat BM in best-of-3 at WTTs after coming through the murderers row that will be 65KG at WTTs.  I'm not saying JO would have beaten BM if he was 100%, just saying chances would be much better.

Edited by Angry_Fish

There are two topics here. First, how good is Metcalf ever going to be at the world level, and second, how good is the US going to be at 65kg? It's entirely possible that Metcalf is the best the US has to offer and that so long as he is somewhere near his prime he will be the man while at the same time not being good enough to medal. I see no contradiction. I tend to think that three times at the world with a single match speaks volumes for his potential. So unless he has some psychological difficulties with the worlds (which seems unlikely given he is a natural competitor who has won at every other level), I more and more lean toward the idea that his odds of ever being a force at the world level are rapidly diminishing.

Brent is like Microsoft, a steady performer.  But people like the new hot IPO better.  But as with stocks or draft picks the excitement will be for the new and untested rather than the tried and true, even if the tried and true is now and has always been better than the new and unproven.

I expect Metcalf to beat Oliver, he seems to be on his peak right now and I think he is, aside of Burroughs, the only american hope for gold in the Worlds this year.

And man, Schlatter is on a tear, I really hope he beats Marable.

I'd love for Metcalf to win gold, but he's been around a long time and has only ever won one match at worlds in his life. He's made the most of his athletic abilities, but winning a world-level medal just doesn't look like it's in the realm of possibilities at this point. He's not going to get any stronger or faster, and if he hasn't made up for his physical shortcomings (relative to the world's best wrestlers) I'm not convinced he ever will.

This year I think Metcalf makes the world team, and either goes 0-1 or 1-1 at worlds. Next year is anyone's guess, but this early in the game Metcalf is the favorite to make the Olympic team. 

Don't get me wrong. Metcalf is a stud. 2x NCAA champ with a great winning percentage. Very few people have done that. But at the world level that's no guarantee. Dake got beat by a Russian backup and Taylor got teched by Tsargush (maybe twice?) and Stieber lost twice at this year's Open. The world level is a whole different ballgame.

Personally, I think our best wrestlers at the moment are, in descending order: (1) JB. (2) Dlagnev. (3) Varner.