Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

The Mark Hall is the man thread

I am hook, line, and sinker a believer now. What he did to Nolf was so impressive. He gassed a bit in the end with a big lead and gave up two late TDs, but other than that, it was domination over an exceptionally talented opponent. 

In the past year, Halll easily beat Nolf as he walked through arguably the most loaded weight in junior freestyle ever, made Valencia look pedestrian, dominating him in folkstyle. who made IMart look like a ragdoll last summer. IMart has obviously more than proven himself as an undefeated freshman NCAA champ and Valencia just teched Tyler Caldwell for 3rd place in the UWW Seniors at 74 kg

Hall is dominating truly blue chip college-level talent as a junior in HS. How good can he get? I'm dying to know where he ends up.

I think PSU and Cornell are the best fits for him.

I wondered in the past whether PSU would make sense, given the depth around his likely weight, but after seeing him whip Nolf, I have to think PSU's roster is not a consideration for Hall anymore other than for practice partner purposes. He could probably start at PSU next year while in HS, let alone a year or two beyond that.

Hall said in an interview yesterday that he has expanded his options to the "Ivy schools." The only Ivy that makes sense for a kid at his level is Cornell. Not just because it's the dominant Ivy but mainly because Dake is there. Cornell also has one of the best upper weight coaches in the country in Hahn and will have no shortage of high quality workout partners with Realbuto, Palacio, and Jon Jay Chavez in addition to Dake and the occasional beatdown by the bigger Gabe Dean.

I cannot wait to see Hall compete in college.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I am hook, line, and sinker a believer now. What he did to Nolf was so impressive. He gassed a bit in the end with a big lead and gave up two late TDs, but other than that, it was domination over an exceptionally talented opponent. 

In the past year, Halll easily beat Nolf as he walked through arguably the most loaded weight in junior freestyle ever, made Valencia look pedestrian, dominating him in folkstyle. and made IMart look like a ragdoll last summer. IMart has obviously more than proven himself as an undefeated freshman NCAA champ and Valencia just teched Tyler Caldwell for 3rd place in the UWW Seniors at 74 kg

Hall is dominating truly blue chip college-level talent as a junior in HS. How good can he get? I'm dying to know where he ends up.

I think PSU and Cornell are the best fits for him.

I wondered in the past whether PSU would make sense, given the depth around his likely weight, but after seeing him whip Nolf, I have to think PSU's roster is not a consideration for Hall anymore other than for practice partner purposes. He could probably start at PSU next year while in HS, let alone a year or two beyond that.

Hall said in an interview yesterday that he has expanded his options to the "Ivy schools." The only Ivy that makes sense for a kid at his level is Cornell. Not just because it's the dominant Ivy but mainly because Dake is there. Cornell also has one of the best upper weight coaches in the country in Hahn and will have no shortage of high quality workout partners with Realbuto, Palacio, and Jon Jay Chaves in addition to Dake.

I cannot wait to see Hall compete in college.

He can start anywhere he wants. He needs to decide what a good coaching and training situation is for him. He'd be in capable hands at a lot of schools. Nebraska would be an interesting option for him with Burroughs there. ASU would be interesting, too. And he'd get tons of love at schools like PSU and Iowa.

My opinion is he should go to the OTC next year. Working out in a high school room makes no sense for him anymore.  

Edited by Katie

Hall was the man today....Marstellar was the boy!!! So much for the 4 PA state titles.....they don't mean squat against the high schooler!

I guess some people get off on the fact they can come on a message board and anonymously trash 18-19 year olds to somehow feel better about themselves.

Type of people we don't need in our sport. Congratulate Mark Hall and Jason Nolf. zero need to mock and trash someone who didn't win a tournament. SMH

I guess some people get off on the fact they can come on a message board and anonymously trash 18-19 year olds to somehow feel better about themselves.

Type of people we don't need in our sport. Congratulate Mark Hall and Jason Nolf. zero need to mock and trash someone who didn't win a tournament. SMH

Right on Jason!

19 year old Snyder just beat 2012 Olympic champ Varner. Hall, I hope you're paying attention. Minnesota high school stuff is small potatoes. Think about the OTC.

Edited by Katie

First off Mark Hall is a beast!!! Nolf is amazing himself. And yes Marstellar had a pretty good tourney himself. He only lost to Nolf, going 7-1 today I believe while beating a few studs himself.

I watched Hall live dismantle Valencia with ease. Him and Spencer Lee are in a class by themselves clearly. 

Now please do not think I am hating, because I am not. Though him beating Nolf is impressive. I wonder the fact that Hall has a clear size advantage on Nolf was a factor? Nolf wrestled 157 last season and Hall wrestled 170 is a fact. Bo Nickal beat Hall twice I believe, and to me Nickal was equal size and weight. Again it was an impressive win by Hall, I just think Nolf was a bit undersized. Not that it matters, that is the weight they entered and the best man won today. 

Can not wait to watch Hall in college.  

Chasden, size may have been a small factor but the bigger factor to me is that Hall has a ton of freestyle experience while Nolf has nearly none at all. I bought in to the idea that Chance would beat Nolf purely based on Nolf's lack of freestyle wrestling. The trapped arm gutwrench he was hit with by Chavez is a good example of what can happen when you lack free experience, I think Penn Styate fans have to be super excited to see what this kid did despite his lack of free style experience. His gas tank and his non stop offense are impressive. He will be a factor from Day 1. 

My biggest concern with Hall is the amount of high level matches he has wrestled at such a young age. If his body holds up, I think he can certainly make some noise once he goes to college and starts wrestling at the senior level. Congrats to Mark and I can't wait to see his next move!

Geez, I feel like you are the political correct police telling everyone how to behave and not behave. This is respectful, this isn't respectful. I get that you love the sport and want people to respect it but who's worse here? You're saying that Grappler99 was "getting off" and feeling better about himself and then going so far as to say he mocked and trashed Marsteller because he said Hall was the man and he was the boy. Really?

I'll give you the short version -- there's a part of the wrestling community that loves to trash and tear down our own. That vocal minority exists on message boards and the comments sections. So that being said .... 

Take this into consideration -- Hall never wrestled Marsteller in the tournament, so why would one be drawn into the other's discussion? Go back and re-read the post, then go back and ask yourself why any sane, rational wrestling fan would bring up Marsteller in a thread about Hall winning when the two didn't face off? Hrm. Taking a shot at Chance's HS accomplishments. 

PC police? No. Just think it's bad form to trash athletes, especially behind faceless, nameless handles. 

Edited by JasonBryant

The assumption is that should Hall go to Cornell he would gain entrance through the large public school campus that is used by so many athletes.

If that's the case, I'd do it all day.  Still pretty sure the Diploma still says Cornell University on it!

Oh no question, and Rob Koll has been a master at taking advantage of that loophole. And hey who's to say that Hall doesn't have the grades to get into Cornell through the front door?

If that's the case, I'd do it all day.  Still pretty sure the Diploma still says Cornell University on it!

We have been through this discussion many times.  Simply having a Cornell degree isn't necessarily beneficial over any of the large state universities.  The degree that would have been best for you, is not necessarily what will be best for Mark Hall.  This is especially true for somebody who wants to make a career out of wrestling (olympic run, followed by coaching).  

I saw on a recent profile of Bricker Dixon (sometimes starter at 125-133, and now Cornell CALS graduate) that he is now trying to choose between returning to Kansas City MO, or going back to NYC where he worked last summer at Morgan Stanley.  Sounds like KC BBQ may win him over, but it's nice to have options after graduation!

To everyone on the boards, I wanted to say that my comment on JB and his comment was out of line. Apologies. JB you do tons for this sport and everyone knows your love of it is unbounded and you only want to make it better. Apologies.

I don't' believe in trashing college athletes, but we have become so socially correct that any adjective used that is not in praise is deemed to be bullying. The terms "ass whippin", "beat down", shellacking", when describing a match, dual or other athletic event can no longer be used without being interpreted as an attack on the "non winner". When I walked out of Hilton arena in 1982 after watching Schultz defeat Banach, I either used or heard all of the aforementioned terms to describe the match. Not one time did I think that it was an attack on Banach but rather a an apt description of what in my opinion was the dominance Shulz displayed in that great match. If you can't call a dominant preformance by a wrestler as an ass whippin, we have gone to far in an absurd attempt not to ever again hurt anyone's feelings. Saying that on athlete wrestled like a man and another wrestled like a boy is certainly not a compliment but in my estimation more descriptive of the results rather than an attack on an individual wrestler.