Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

U.S. Open as Spectacle

I am watching the finals on Flo. As a spectator even it is done very poorly. The key problem is the interruptions by women's wrestling and greco. I assume that 90% of the interest in the event is freestyle, about 8% is greco and maybe 2% is women's. But the organizers make the fans sit though all three. If there were separate events, the stands might be much more full, at least for freestyle. For greco and women's they'd be even emptier.

I assume that 90% of the interest in the event is freestyle, about 8% is greco and maybe 2% is women's. 

You might be correct if you're saying 90% of the interest is in freestyle by those who complain about watching Greco and Women on message boards, though. 

I had multiple people in the stands today who I never met before complain about being forced to endure Greco and Women's to get to see Men's FS.  As far as I know, none visit this board.  There were certainly some fan reactions to some of the the action in Women's/Greco, but there is no question where the interest lies (on the boards and in person).  

I didn't watch flo but on NBC the Greco and women are already playing second fiddle to the freestylers, with 2 bouts each shown to MFS 5. Greco already has a 2 man wrestle off instead if a real wtt coming up. What would you have the organizers do? Seperate events? Blatant ignoring of female and Greco athletes?

To each their own I guess but I much preferred watching Biseks throws and Grays nasty leg lace than watch Metcalf and Oliver stare at each other.

Lol, handball! But Bisek and Mango are awesome. I quite like greco but note I don't watch it out of respect for the athletes. I like it. I also loved watching Gray. She's tough. I couldn't help asking myself the same question they ask about women's tennis. Where would she rank among the men? Can place in seniors? Juniors? NCAA AA? Qualifier? Etc...

So are you suggesting seperate nationals for each style njdan? Or should the women and Greco guys be "allowed" to share the gym but just not get videotaped?

Bisek had the single best American preformance at worlds in any style last year IMO , in the toughest weight- any style- on Earth. Surely BTF and I aren't the only ones who WANT to see his matches.

It's as if you went to an NBA game and, after the first quarter, two WNBA teams took the court for a while. Then a bit of team handball before the start of the second quarter.

I'm no Greco fan, but I disagree with your analogy. 

It's more like turning on a track meet, and watching men run 100 meters, women run 100 meters, and men run 110 meter hurdles. You could also compare it to diving or swimming. it's even a little like watching a UFC card that has both men and women on it (and that's pretty much all their cards these days).

At the end of the day, without women's participation, Olympic wrestling is toast.

Edited by Katie

I didn't watch flo but on NBC the Greco and women are already playing second fiddle to the freestylers, with 2 bouts each shown to MFS 5. Greco already has a 2 man wrestle off instead if a real wtt coming up. What would you have the organizers do? Seperate events? Blatant ignoring of female and Greco athletes?

To each their own I guess but I much preferred watching Biseks throws and Grays nasty leg lace than watch Metcalf and Oliver stare at each other.

I attended the event and thoroughly enjoyed myself.   I can't speak for the television or on line coverage but as far as the finals, it was down right miserable having to sit through women's wrestling after spending good money to see the men compete.   Fortunately I met a nice woman from Washington who was there to see her nephew compete.   We were quite friendly Thursday night, spent some time together friday night, and then went to the tournament Saturday evening.   Were it not for her company (and a little trip to the parking lot to my high top van) I would not have been able to sit through the wrestling till the end.   Please give the women their own stage.  They more than deserve it.   

One of the highlights for me at the event was running into legendary the mat dot com forum member, Long Island Martin.   

I recognized him at the concessions, ordering a dog with all the helpings.  Relish, ketchup, onions, etc.   I've only seen a couple of pictures of him but it looked just like I remembered.  The NY Yankees shirt was strong evidence as well.   I said to Michelle, "watch this" and then i said under my breath to where he could here, "these guys wouldn't last 5 minutes in my day".   He quickly looked back, he sized me up, then asked:

When's your day?

60s, I told him.   How about you?

70s, he said boldly.  

I introduced myself and he responded "Martin"

I invited him to sit with us and he obliged.   I played like I didn't know it was him and I pushed a few buttons.   

Martin, they have girls on the team back in your day?  He nearly lost it.   He was so upset with the women being included into the finals, people around us were looking over and giving dirty looks.   He says to Michelle, nof offense Michelle, but the only purpose for a woman at a men's wrestling meet is for assistance with weight management, if you get my drift.

Martin was a blast.   We exchanged email information and I let him know about this message board.   He said he may look it up.  

Do others outside the US want it removed? 

No...just many Americans. I'm guessing because it is so completely different that folkstyle...and we know in 'Merica that what we do is ALWAYS the best and everybody in the world should do what we do in 'Merica.

I have also had conversations with people that want to see folkstyle in the Olympics- even though 'Merica is the only county in the world that does our folkstyle. So let's get rid of the national sport in many countries in favor of what we do in 'Merica.

For me the freestyle was unwatchable. guys refusing to make contact and dancing waiting for the other guy to do something. I'll bet the high light for greco would be twice as long and twice as exciting as the FS one.

Question for the cognoscenti (like WrestlingNerd and a few others):

Do American officials call freestyle matches differently than we see outside the US?  Seems to me like there's a folkstyle influence in how we officiate freestyle that is not present outside the US.  Yes?  No?  

In my opinion, yes, but probably less than some years ago. We have more influence with people like Dziedzic and some of the officials (Tucci, Stecklein). One of the reasons is simply translations. The rules used to be centered in Switzerland and the first translation was French. The Americans would try to translate it and judge by what they saw at international events. I officiated in the late 70s and early 80s and back then we were further hampered by issues between the AAU and the USWF- different rules interpreters.

I don't know if folkstyle really enters into it that much though. I think it might be more the other way around in that the top US international style officials call that their primary style and folkstyle is secondary to them and they are more likely to officiate folkstyle with a freestyle/greco slant.

The other thing I've seen over the years is more of the overseas officials were likely to see things in the favor of their country.

I would like to see entrant numbers for various freestyle and Greco tournaments around the world.

My hunch is that Greco events are just as populated as freestyle events. I am willing to be shown evidence to the contrary though.

Check the database for the numbers. Greco consistently has more entries per event, but not by much.