Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Ranking The Best USA JR. Level Wrestlers

And of course the improvement factor is exactly what makes it so hard to compare the Jrs. Is Valencia better than Imart or did Imart improve by leaps and bounds? Can Spencer Lee tech Daton Fix again? Young super-talented guys sometimes have these almost magical leaps in improvement that are hard to predict. It's why I particularly like the juniors.

I think Pico is focusing on Jr.'s based on his performance at Yarygin and his recent loss to Metcalf. I believe his handlers probably believe that another year on the Jr. Level, and hopeful of another great performance at the Jr. World's, this will only help Aaron for the future. Unfortunately for Metcalf, I think this year is his last and probably best chance to win a World medal. ( best because the tourney is being held in the U.S.). So home field advantage. Brent is getting older And I don't believe he can hold off Aaron that much longer.

I don't get the argument/logic why Sadulaev would lie about his age. This isn't baseball where you shave 3 years off your age to attract scouts.

Do you really think he/the Russians would lie just to have a kid win a Cadet World title? Doesn't add up.

i dont have inside knowledge but if local Russian clubs get more money from the national ministry of sport (or whatever) if they produce world medals at the cadet and junior tournaments than there would be a very strong incentive from the coaches to lie about their kids ages. 

Wait, Hall and Valencia are 1-1 with each other. And the only reason the score wasn't more lopsided in Valencia's win was the supremely small mat they were wrestling on. How many times did Valencia blast Hall off the mat? Oh how quickly we forget.

And Valencia's one win against a top guy happened to be against a University World Champion a step above a Junior world champ and it was via technical fall

I think Pico is focusing on Jr.'s based on his performance at Yarygin and his recent loss to Metcalf. I believe his handlers probably believe that another year on the Jr. Level, and hopeful of another great performance at the Jr. World's, this will only help Aaron for the future. Unfortunately for Metcalf, I think this year is his last and probably best chance to win a World medal. ( best because the tourney is being held in the U.S.). So home field advantage. Brent is getting older And I don't believe he can hold off Aaron that much longer.

OK..I understand your point, but when are the Zinkins going to call in their marker?   He isn't making them money by wrestling or not the money they are looking for...He was supposed to make the 2016 Olympic team, then move on to MMA, yes?

OK..I understand your point, but when are the Zinkins going to call in their marker?   He isn't making them money by wrestling or not the money they are looking for...He was supposed to make the 2016 Olympic team, then move on to MMA, yes?

how is Pico's deal structured? without the contract details there's no way to know how anyone is making money or what's in anybody's best financial interest. 

Can Pico get a wildcard at senior WTT if he changes his mind?

No he doesn't qualify for a Wildcard from what I have seen on USA Wrestling's website. Crietria had to do with past WTT and OTTs (which he has never competed in) or NCAA finish (and he's not in college), so that leads me to believe he has to win Northern Plains this weekend to qualify.

I this entire thread makes me crave a Hall-Valencia rematch. Sooner or later we will get one I'm sure.

In the meantime to don't think Nolf is getting enough attention. I have to admit before this weekend Nolf wasn't on my radar. But some posters started picking him to win it all and of course he had that monster red shirt year. My take after watching him in the finals vs Hall is that I'd bet on Nolf over Hall in folk style right now. I'm not the first to say it but Hall out-freestyler Nolf who was clearly a novice. Now Hall said he was upset with his performance and he won't give up easy points next time. Well I don't know. Hall wasn't s much giving up points as Nolf was taking them. Nolf had Hall off balance half the time. His motion and let attacks are unreal. He only has a month to prepare for the WTTs but I wouldn't count him out.

I this entire thread makes me crave a Hall-Valencia rematch. Sooner or later we will get one I'm sure.

In the meantime to don't think Nolf is getting enough attention. I have to admit before this weekend Nolf wasn't on my radar. But some posters started picking him to win it all and of course he had that monster red shirt year. My take after watching him in the finals vs Hall is that I'd bet on Nolf over Hall in folk style right now. I'm not the first to say it but Hall out-freestyler Nolf who was clearly a novice. Now Hall said he was upset with his performance and he won't give up easy points next time. Well I don't know. Hall wasn't s much giving up points as Nolf was taking them. Nolf had Hall off balance half the time. His motion and let attacks are unreal. He only has a month to prepare for the WTTs but I wouldn't count him out.

how is Pico's deal structured? without the contract details there's no way to know how anyone is making money or what's in anybody's best financial interest. 

You don't think the Zinkins signed Pico for financial gain?  It's been a year, now....They will soon be looking for their ROI.  When will this be?  

I think Pico made the right decision by staying with the Juniors.

You don't think the Zinkins signed Pico for financial gain? 

duh

It's been a year, now....They will soon be looking for their ROI.  When will this be?  

yes, good question. details of the contract would help.

you know some people invest a lot of money in human capital and wait a long time before they receive a payout. i even know people who invested hundreds of thousands of dollars on teenagers and didn't expect a payout for 7 years or more. 

duh

yes, good question. details of the contract would help.

you know some people invest a lot of money in human capital and wait a long time before they receive a payout. i even know people who invested hundreds of thousands of dollars on teenagers and didn't expect a payout for 7 years or more. 

It's a private deal and neither party made the terms public, so none of us know what's in it. But when Zinkin and Pico announced the deal in 2014, Pico said he would wrestle until 2020. So at the least, Zinkin was not expecting fight purses for about six years. 

But Pico has income. He's sponsored by Nike and Dethrone, so that leaves open the possibility that Pico gives Zinkin some of that money. But that's unlikely. 

More likely is the scenario where Zinkin locks Pico up for a long time, kicks him some money now, and collects a hefty percentage of his winnings down the line. Hendricks had a deal like that. He signed with a management company that fronted him money when he had no MMA experience. In exchange, he agreed to hand over 50% of his earnings for a number of years. (I'm not sure how many.) The deal worked out for both Hendricks and his management team. 

It's a private deal and neither party made the terms public, so none of us know what's in it. But when Zinkin and Pico announced the deal in 2014, Pico said he would wrestle until 2020. So at the least, Zinkin was not expecting fight purses for about six years. 

But Pico has income. He's sponsored by Nike and Dethrone, so that leaves open the possibility that Pico gives Zinkin some of that money. But that's unlikely. 

More likely is the scenario where Zinkin locks Pico up for a long time, kicks him some money now, and collects a hefty percentage of his winnings down the line. Hendricks had a deal like that. He signed with a management company that fronted him money when he had no MMA experience. In exchange, he agreed to hand over 50% of his earnings for a number of years. (I'm not sure how many.) The deal worked out for both Hendricks and his management team. 

I've been around here long enough to remember Hendricks management team, Team Takedown, coming on this board when they were just starting up trying to recruit wrestlers.  It seems to have worked out ok for them. 

50%? Hendricks made the fact public? anywhere i can read this contract?

i don't know exactly the terms, but the guys on teamtakedown were making a base of like $40k and handed over a large portion of their purses and endorsements the first few years. the salary helped the young fighters gaurantee income with the possibility of great financial gain for the management team on the back end. what they made on hendricks more than made up for the other fighters with similar deals lost them financially. one of my friends fought about 10 times in the ufc and had all the inside info as he was negotiating his terms with his management team. thats how i knew the amount i did....