Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

Does California produce the most talented wrestlers?

Pa and Ohio lead the way with the sheer volume of college ready kids, but I think that Cali might just produce our highest level talent. The Valencia's are absolutely sick. Pico is world level at a high school age. IMar runs the table in a dominating fashion. Delgado would have been going for a 3rd title if he wasn't hurt. Cade Olivas is the next Valencia/Pico.

Am I wrong?

Guest Kingsland

Recently the amount of high school uber studs has increased across the board, but I would say Cali has been one of the leading states in producing them. Also Pico and the Valencias all trained together growing up and I think Cade did too, so they have had a very good support system and training program right from the get go.

Pa and Ohio lead the way with the sheer volume of college ready kids, but I think that Cali might just produce our highest level talent. The Valencia's are absolutely sick. Pico is world level at a high school age. IMar runs the table in a dominating fashion. Delgado would have been going for a 3rd title if he wasn't hurt. Cade Olivas is the next Valencia/Pico.

Am I wrong?

I'll add a couple more great ones, one of which did damage while still in high school .....DAVE SCHULTZ, Mark Schultz, Joe Gonzales and John Azevedo....oh yea David Lee....just adding to the conversation ....my top pix are PA and OH.

Recently the amount of high school uber studs has increased across the board, but I would say Cali has been one of the leading states in producing them. Also Pico and the Valencias all trained together growing up and I think Cade did too, so they have had a very good support system and training program right from the get go.

All 4 of those guys, Valencias, Pico and Olivas were part of Monster Garage.  Joey Davis as well.

Guess who started Monster Garage.

Ruben Valencia, Anthony and Zahid's dad.

"I'll give you a brief overview of "who is Monster Garage". Monster Garage was originally formed with 4 wrestlers, Zahid Valencia, Anthony Valencia, Aaron Pico "Cheeks", and Cade Olivas around 9 years ago. Cade was barely out of diapers. Monster Garage is literally a garage about 15 miles from Downtown Los Angeles. Since the formation, many wrestlers, succesful wrestlers I should say, have come to Monster Garage to workout,drill, pick up technique, etc. Ruben Valencia is the coach. Ruben has a supporting cast of no nothing about wrestling dads. However, what the dads do know is how to seek out the best in class technicians and bring them to the Garage. If it's single legs we are working, we bring the best single leg coach available. If it's freestyle and greco we are working, we bring the best freestyle and greco coach available. These coachs range from World Champions, to NCAA champions, to the neighborhood parks and recreation youth coach. All of them have brought and continue to bring significant value. 

You mentioned a few names from St. Paris, some of the names have met up with Monster Garage. I'll let you ask around the Graham room for the results. Don't want to cause embarrasment on a public forum. I mention that to give you a comparison since you are not familiar with Monster Garage. 

Just to give you a sampling of accomplishments, keeping in mind only 2 are in high school, the others are 8th and 6th grade. This group has accumulated 13 World of Wrestling Trinity awards. Every one of them has won Tulsa Nationals multiple times. Other major youth tournaments these guys have won are OhioTOC, Reno Worlds, Liberty Nationals, Fargo, list can go on and the most recent was Zahid winning Ironman.

Being that Anthony and Zahid are at St. John Bosco our time to be together is limited. However we do get together couple times a week. Being it's in-season for high school, Cheeks and Cade are not allowed in the St. John Bosco room. We are all together on Sunday for our weekly stadium workout.

I hope I've giving you the info you are looking for. The Monster Garage label is slowly fading but in a few years will reemerge as St. John Bosco wrestling." -kidwrestlerdad  December 16, 2011, 09:03:26 am

Ohio has been pretty crazy lately:

Stieber, Tomasello, Taylor, Kilgore, Schlatter, Jaggers where all Champs and multi AA's.  That doesn't even include guys like Palmer, Honeycutt and the Jordan's.

Still, I would say that Pennsylvania, Ohio and California are clearly a step ahead of any other state for consistently producing high end College wrestlers.

The 'homey' answer is……

Illinois -- Land of Lincoln

Abe was a wrestler of note.  It is rumored, he of tall stature, was a dandy smooth muscled 97 pounder. 

Lincoln was born in Kentucky and moved to Illinois

"I'll give you a brief overview of "who is Monster Garage". Monster Garage was originally formed with 4 wrestlers, Zahid Valencia, Anthony Valencia, Aaron Pico "Cheeks", and Cade Olivas around 9 years ago. Cade was barely out of diapers. Monster Garage is literally a garage about 15 miles from Downtown Los Angeles. Since the formation, many wrestlers, succesful wrestlers I should say, have come to Monster Garage to workout,drill, pick up technique, etc. Ruben Valencia is the coach. Ruben has a supporting cast of no nothing about wrestling dads. However, what the dads do know is how to seek out the best in class technicians and bring them to the Garage. If it's single legs we are working, we bring the best single leg coach available. If it's freestyle and greco we are working, we bring the best freestyle and greco coach available. These coachs range from World Champions, to NCAA champions, to the neighborhood parks and recreation youth coach. All of them have brought and continue to bring significant value. 

You mentioned a few names from St. Paris, some of the names have met up with Monster Garage. I'll let you ask around the Graham room for the results. Don't want to cause embarrasment on a public forum. I mention that to give you a comparison since you are not familiar with Monster Garage. 

Just to give you a sampling of accomplishments, keeping in mind only 2 are in high school, the others are 8th and 6th grade. This group has accumulated 13 World of Wrestling Trinity awards. Every one of them has won Tulsa Nationals multiple times. Other major youth tournaments these guys have won are OhioTOC, Reno Worlds, Liberty Nationals, Fargo, list can go on and the most recent was Zahid winning Ironman.

Being that Anthony and Zahid are at St. John Bosco our time to be together is limited. However we do get together couple times a week. Being it's in-season for high school, Cheeks and Cade are not allowed in the St. John Bosco room. We are all together on Sunday for our weekly stadium workout.

I hope I've giving you the info you are looking for. The Monster Garage label is slowly fading but in a few years will reemerge as St. John Bosco wrestling." -kidwrestlerdad  December 16, 2011, 09:03:26 am

Great info and I am very impressed by what the Monster Garage has done.  I think you hit on one important thing when it comes to coaching.  Don't be afraid to know your limitations and expose kids to different styles and techniques.  I do wonder who is the money behind this because it is difficult to get top level talent to just work for free(at least in my experience).

My other question, if you know, is while it is obvious that there is top talent working out there, does the "garage" only cater to top level talent?  It is much easier to coach kids who are skilled, driven and easy to coach.  What makes for good teams is developing the lower level talents. What other types of "cross training" do they instill or is it all wrestling?  I find it is very difficult to keep kids wrestling because of the grind and physical nature of the sport.

It seems to be that clubs produce more than states and in most instances you see groupings of successful kids all have ties to only a handful of clubs. Which, as I understand it, is very similar to the Russians which have very localized clubs and the athlete's youth coach will train them all the way up until the Olympics.

One of the unique things about the success of California is how it has not translated to success for any program in the state. Looking at this list from Flowrestling you can see that California is more of an anomaly in that regard as they mainly export their wrestling talent and there is no program in the state the consistently finds themselves in the top-20 range.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251734-Wrestling-News-and-Updates/article/31082-College-All-State-Team-Released#.VT1mnSFVhBd

All 4 of those guys, Valencias, Pico and Olivas were part of Monster Garage.  Joey Davis as well.

Guess who started Monster Garage.

Ruben Valencia, Anthony and Zahid's dad.

I don't believe Joey Davis was part of the Monster Garage. Many other California wrestling studs have gone and wrestled with the Monster Garages kids but are not part of the club. 

It seems to be that clubs produce more than states and in most instances you see groupings of successful kids all have ties to only a handful of clubs. Which, as I understand it, is very similar to the Russians which have very localized clubs and the athlete's youth coach will train them all the way up until the Olympics.

One of the unique things about the success of California is how it has not translated to success for any program in the state. Looking at this list from Flowrestling you can see that California is more of an anomaly in that regard as they mainly export their wrestling talent and there is no program in the state the consistently finds themselves in the top-20 range.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251734-Wrestling-News-and-Updates/article/31082-College-All-State-Team-Released#.VT1mnSFVhBd

That's easy, Clovis (public school), who beat Wyoming Seminary (private school) at the Doc Buchannan, they also beat Franklin Regional the same year.

Buchanan High School (public school) 2nd at the Powerade this year and 3rd in the state 2015.

Poway High School 2nd in state this year Reno Tournament champions.

Those aren't anomaly's my friend, those are "CALIFORNIA POWER-HOUSES"

Also, a couple in the last 4 olympics

*Adam Wheeler (never qualified for the California state tournament) Bronze in the Olympics

*Jamil Kelley (5th in the California state tournament never all-american-ed in college) Silver in the Olympics

*Jake Varner Olympic Gold Medalist

*Stephen Abas Olympic Silver Medalist

California dominates at the highest level-Pennsylvania & Ohio dominate at the NCAA level

using Earl's more recent update of his 2015 class recruit ranking, i get the following metro areas with the most top 150 guys

NYC: 13

Chi: 12

Pitt: 9

Dayton: 6

Cleve: 5

SoCal: 4

NorCal: 4

may have missed a guy or two here and there but it should be accurate enough to conclude that the New York and Chicago metro areas are better than SoCal or NorCal (and NE Ohio) at producing D1 recruits. 

or could also take into account the fact that some cities are way bigger than others but i know a lot of people get upset when you add per capita calculations to the conversation, so we'll just ignore that for now. 

That's easy, Clovis (public school), who beat Wyoming Seminary (private school) at the Doc Buchannan, they also beat Franklin Regional the same year.

Buchanan High School (public school) 2nd at the Powerade this year and 3rd in the state 2015.

Poway High School 2nd in state this year Reno Tournament champions.

Those aren't anomaly's my friend, those are "CALIFORNIA POWER-HOUSES"

Also, a couple in the last 4 olympics

*Adam Wheeler (never qualified for the California state tournament) Bronze in the Olympics

*Jamil Kelley (5th in the California state tournament never all-american-ed in college) Silver in the Olympics

*Jake Varner Olympic Gold Medalist

*Stephen Abas Olympic Silver Medalist

California dominates at the highest level-Pennsylvania & Ohio dominate at the NCAA level

I think you're confused on my comments. I was talking about college programs. The success of the few California programs seems to support my club comments more since there are not many successful individuals outside of the storied high school programs. That is one of the things that always struck me about PA. The talent, overall, is spread out in many different high schools in PA. Though a lot of the kids may workout together in clubs you find them representing many different high schools. In a lot of states it seems like the talent consistently comes from a few storied programs with great coaches that do a great job of developing kids.

I don't believe Joey Davis was part of the Monster Garage. Many other California wrestling studs have gone and wrestled with the Monster Garages kids but are not part of the club. 

He wasn't originally part of it when it began, but he did train with all of the Bosco kids

Burroughs developed in college. These kids are competing with senior level guys in high school

These kids?  You mean Pico and Valencia?  No other guys on your list are competing with senior level guys.  I brought up Burroughs because he's an anecdotal example that proves nothing, just like your implications here.

Am I wrong?

You are correct

I hope I've giving you the info you are looking for. The Monster Garage label is slowly fading but in a few years will reemerge as St. John Bosco wrestling." -kidwrestlerdad December 16, 2011, 09:03:26 am

S32 too