Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

Does California produce the most talented wrestlers?

NCAA champ 1966, '67. Runner-up '68. (wrestlingstats with the info)

below from fila database

1972-08-27 Olympic Games Freestyle Seniors 57.0 USA 2.

1969-03-08 World Championship Freestyle Seniors 52.0 USA 1.

1968-10-17 Olympic Games Freestyle Seniors 52.0 USA 2.

1967-11-12 World Championship Freestyle Seniors 52.0 USA 2. 

1966-06-16 World Championship Freestyle Seniors 52.0 USA 3.

Edited by KTG119

Flying Tiger, this is all ringing a bell from dicussion on international forum, like last fall? I mentioned Sanders then, as well as a few other guys who might make your list: Carr? Metzger? Zeke Jones? I think anyway...

A different ref and maybe no knee injury and no back points??? You do realize that the bent leg turk Amuch was using was on the RIGHT leg every time and Ruth's LEFT leg was the one he was limping on and was later taped up. The only place I see where it appeared Ruth's left knee was in danger was on the single leg counter by Amuch in the first period and the official did stop that with no points. It's possible Ruth hurt his knee at that point but giving up that bent leg turk 3 times is not conducive to winning a match.

At 1:31 in the second the announcer noticed the hyperextended foot - this was before any back points were awarded. It you release the hyperextension, you may not get the turn. Unsurprised that you fail to acknowledge that possibility. But my point was not that Ruth was a sure thing, the point was that he was a 3x champ and competitive as a freshman. Which knee was injured is irrelevant to the hyperextension of the foot. I can understand why you would count Ruth out at this point, but I would not.

Since this is the college board.  How would a match between Valencia and Marstellar fair?  Staying on topic with the "greats" from each state.

This is an interesting match.   As noted above, Valencia just continues to not only beat, but DESTROY guys at higher levels than him (Imar, and the guys at the US Open). I just haven't seen Marstellar do the same.   Right now at this point Valenica techs Marsteller 

This is an interesting match.   As noted above, Valencia just continues to not only beat, but DESTROY guys at higher levels than him (Imar, and the guys at the US Open). I just haven't seen Marstellar do the same.   Right now at this point Valenica techs Marsteller 

WHAT??? Do you *really believe* that? $$ What do the PA guys say about your prediction.

At 1:31 in the second the announcer noticed the hyperextended foot - this was before any back points were awarded. It you release the hyperextension, you may not get the turn. Unsurprised that you fail to acknowledge that possibility. But my point was not that Ruth was a sure thing, the point was that he was a 3x champ and competitive as a freshman. Which knee was injured is irrelevant to the hyperextension of the foot. I can understand why you would count Ruth out at this point, but I would not.

Actually having the hand on the foot in that position after you already have the figure 4 locked up on the bent leg doesn't help much with the turn.  You keep the foot to make sure it stays on his butt and doesn't slip outside.  If the foot gets outside the hip then it will get PD'd and you lose the position so you keep the foot to make sure it stays inside.  It doesn't really help the turn, all the pressure comes from your hips and then have to scrape his head to get the turn.  Really can't put a lot of pressure on the foot from that position (reaching back to it).

Given that, Ruth was always one of my favorite wrestlers to watch and was definitely a stud and I almost always rooted for him.  But, Amuchestegui was also a favorite of mine and it seems he doesn't get much credit for how tough he was on top, especially his ability to get to that turk and turn people with it.  I would never count Ruth out but the results of that match are what they are.

Definitely took this thread off topic.............

As for 4x NCAA champs..well Stieber just did it and I very well may take Pico (a HS kid from CA)in a match head to head. Today.

I'm going to bite and derail the thread a bit. Freestyle, maybe, though I'd pick Logie Bear 7 out of 10. Folkstyle, Logie Bear 10 out of 10.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

WHAT??? Do you *really believe* that? $$ What do the PA guys say about your prediction.

Being a PA guy myself, (I was working in a steel mill back when i was kid and credit PA with the development of my wrestling prowess) I believe the PA guys to be knowledgeable, open minded, and realists.   It's not like a kid who can't make his teams line up and has taken a drubbing over the past year since joining an elite, national power should be ashamed for himself, simply because he's been struggling.   

Anthony Valenica techs Marsteller right now, and he does it in one period.   Is that clear for you, or do you expect him to do better than the world university gold medalist he teched in the 3rd place match, while the PA boy was struggling through the junior tournament?  It's a different level, no shame to Marstellar, he is a magnificent high school wrestler, but this is a different level.   

Being a PA guy myself, (I was working in a steel mill back when i was kid and credit PA with the development of my wrestling prowess) I believe the PA guys to be knowledgeable, open minded, and realists.   It's not like a kid who can't make his teams line up and has taken a drubbing over the past year since joining an elite, national power should be ashamed for himself, simply because he's been struggling.   

Anthony Valenica techs Marsteller right now, and he does it in one period.   Is that clear for you, or do you expect him to do better than the world university gold medalist he teched in the 3rd place match, while the PA boy was struggling through the junior tournament?  It's a different level, no shame to Marstellar, he is a magnificent high school wrestler, but this is a different level.   

Thank you Cletus!  Your response is very much appreciated.  Most times, the truth shall set you free.  Thank you.

Here's a fact, the engine in your car is basically the same one that was being used in the 1950's, same goes for the jets making the planes fly also, despite the existance of laser Blu rays, and silicon CPU's packing billions of transistors into a couple of square inches we have no new technologies capable of providing enough power to get a space craft into orbit. Which makes me wonder where the technology powering our home items actually came from.

It's hard to ignore Valencia's recent domination of some of the top US guys like Caldwell(close losses to Howe, etc).  Based on these matches I would be hard pressed to believe that he wouldn't dominate Marstellar.  However, their still is another high school kid out there(Hall) who pretty much dominated him.  I am never one to anoint kids before they hit the DI scene so I'm anxious to see how he does in folk style come this season.

silicon CPU's packing billions of transistors into a couple of square inches we have no new technologies capable of providing enough power to get a space craft into orbit. Which makes me wonder where the technology powering our home items actually came from.

there's others ways to get people into orbit, its just not cost effective.

there's others ways to get people into orbit, its just not cost effective.

I agree, but, humanity at this stage is too intellectually and technologically feeble to detect, much less comprehend the kind of tech that's occurring amongst much more advanced species. Just as people 100 years ago would not be able to comprehend the "magical" things possible today, neither will we be able to comprehend the magical things of 100 years from now. But we're still talking TINY time frames... whereas humanity has been collectively working toward advancing technology for a few thousand years... civilizations that are 10X as old would be incomprehensible to us. Likely mastery of QM and the multiverse is child's play to those civilizations. Life exists all around us. We're visited all the time and NASA has found all kinds of things on Mars to indicate civilizations (previous, if not current). Not the "if you squint enough that rock looks like an owl" variety, but the actual foundations of buildings, among others. I'm not one to break my security clearance rules but, mostly since "spectacular claims, require spectacular proof.  If you went and talked about what I just wrote, you be ridiculed, or your comments would be marginalized,,,,,,there you have it.