Sign in to follow this  
BuckyBadger

Anthony Valencia

I believe they did special wrestle offs last year for that exact situation? Didn't oliver miss weight to challenge ashnault? And mcdonough beat Nahson ?

I think that may have been for University World Trials and the Junior World Trials.

Isn't there a junior world team trials? Or was this it?

I was under the assumption that some of the on-the-cuspers were seeking different competition this weekend, but that wouldn't necessarily affect their world team goals. 

I thought Valencia's decision to wrestle seniors was brilliant! He's been in that mix amongst the age-groups long enough, and didn't have as much to gain by looking for revenge against Hall, for example. 

On the other end of the spectrum we have Pico choosing to get out of that super deep senior class and dominate the juniors. I think this is a great strategy for team USA. Pico will be training with the seniors regardless, so we might as well have our best representative at the junior level. 

NO

Isn't there a junior world team trials? Or was this it?

I was under the assumption that some of the on-the-cuspers were seeking different competition this weekend, but that wouldn't necessarily affect their world team goals. 

I thought Valencia's decision to wrestle seniors was brilliant! He's been in that mix amongst the age-groups long enough, and didn't have as much to gain by looking for revenge against Hall, for example. 

On the other end of the spectrum we have Pico choosing to get out of that super deep senior class and dominate the juniors. I think this is a great strategy for team USA. Pico will be training with the seniors regardless, so we might as well have our best representative at the junior level. 

The US Open is completely different than the World Team Trials.  The WTT will be coming up soon enough and will be very fun to watch

I don't know, Valencia is on a tear and looks great but getting on then junior world team and winning a gold would be quite an accomplishment. Junior worlds is a GREAT tournament. Last year 47 countries sent 200 competitors and Iran ranked first, USA second and Russia third. 

WTTs and which Mark Hall is currently the favorite to be on) and Valencia was steamrolling through the tournament (two tech falls) until his quarterfinal match vs TUR which ended in disaster.

Here's the blow-by-blow: Valencia scores first with a double leg to his back (4 points), push-out for TUR (4-1,Valencia), awesome slide by takedown (6-1, Valencia), Valencia shoots and gets lateral dropped to his back and pinned. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIW3ustE3n4

The Turk (whose name is Erturk by the way) then goes on to get teched 11-0 in two minutes by France in the semis. France then beats AZE 4-1 in the finals.

Valencia obviously has a much better chance of competing for the US in the Juniors than the seniors and still has something to prove at that level. While I think he slipped up vs the Turk and by the looks of it would be the favorite in a rematch, it's far from clear he would have won. It's not clear he wouldn't have either.

In the end Valencia was ranked 9th in the 2014 junior worlds. Meanwhile Gilman took 3rd, Pico second, McKenna 2nd, Gabe Dean 3rd, Snyder 3rd (after winning the gold in 2013) and Coon took third. So in my humble opinion going back to juniors for Valencia is a lot more than just getting revenge on Hall. It's about trying to win a juniors gold. 

Edited by BigTimeFan

I don't know, Valencia is on a tear and looks great but getting on then junior world team and winning a gold would be quite an accomplishment. Junior worlds is a GREAT tournament. Last year 47 countries sent 200 competitors and Iran ranked first, USA second and Russia third. 

WTTs and which Mark Hall is currently the favorite to be on) and Valencia was steamrolling through the tournament (two tech falls) until his quarterfinal match vs TUR which ended in disaster.

Here's the blow-by-blow: Valencia scores first with a double leg to his back (4 points), push-out for TUR (4-1,Valencia), awesome slide by takedown (6-1, Valencia), Valencia shoots and gets lateral dropped to his back and pinned. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIW3ustE3n4

The Turk (whose name is Erturk by the way) then goes on to get teched 11-0 in two minutes by France in the semis. France then beats AZE 4-1 in the finals.

Valencia obviously has a much better chance of competing for the US in the Juniors than the seniors and still has something to prove at that level. While I think he slipped up vs the Turk and by the looks of it would be the favorite in a rematch, it's far from clear he would have won. It's not clear he wouldn't have either.

In the end Valencia was ranked 9th in the 2014 junior worlds. Meanwhile Gilman took 3rd, Pico second, McKenna 2nd, Gabe Dean 3rd, Snyder 3rd (after winning the gold in 2013) and Coon took third. So in my humble opinion going back to juniors for Valencia is a lot more than just getting revenge on Hall. It's about trying to win a juniors gold. 

BTF, the Frenchman that won it is a defect from Russia, or another Eastern Euro country, correct? My memory might be off but I remember Tervel tweeting something about the guy being "french".

rlw028, lol, the Frenchman's name was suspicious to begin with... this is the article that I saw:

ZAGREB (August 9) – Zelimkhan KHADJIEV (FRA) fashioned a 4-1 decision in the 74kg gold medal final in freestyle to become France’s first-ever champion in the men’s events at the Junior Wrestling World Championships.

Khadjiev, who came to France from Russia as a boy, scored with a single-leg takedown in the first period of the final at Dom Sportova arena added a force-out point in the second for a 4-1 win over Mahammadhaji MUKHUTOV (AZE) and France’s first junior gold medal for men.

Anthony can wrestle JR's in Madison, but i don't think that's what he's going to do.

and unlike, Pico, McKenna, and Snyder, who won jr world medals last year (anthony was 7th)

he can't wrestle SR's in Madison and call for a special wrestle off. 

The nice thing about the junior WTTs is entry criteria are pretty broad. Valencia can enter based on being a 2014 junior world team member as well as having placed 3rd in the senior open. Imart is also eligible as is Pico for that matter. The criteria are below for anyone interested. 

UWW Junior Division Qualifying Criteria:

Must be born 1995-1997 (1998 with medical certificate) in order to participate.

 Previous Junior World Team Member.

 Top six place winners from the 2014 Junior Nationals.

 Top eight place winners from the 2015 UWW Junior National tournament.

 Any All-American from the 2015 University Nationals.

 Any All-American from the 2015 NCAA Division I Nationals.

 Any All-American from the 2015 Folkstyle Nationals.

 Top seven place winners from the 2015 Senior Open.

 The finalists from the 2015 NCAA DII Nationals.

 The finalists from the 2015 NCAA DIII Nationals.

 The Champions from the 2015 NAIA Nationals.

 The Champions from the 2015 Junior College Nationals.

 Wild cards for petitioning in by any athlete injured during the qualifying process or requested by the National Coaching Staff. The final decision to be made by the National Team Coaching Staff. Please call or email appropriate coach for wild card application. Deadline is May 29, 2015 for Freestyle.