Sign in to follow this  
BraunMann

How Is Snyder Able To Beat Kilgore and Varner?

Anybody else shocked?

Its uncommon but not unheard of for US juniors to beat the best US seniors. Overseas its much more common. It could happen more regularly here if kids would be more willing to train at the OTC like Snyder did and like Cejudo did before him. 

Its uncommon but not unheard of for US juniors to beat the best US seniors. Overseas its much more common. It could happen more regularly here if kids would be more willing to train at the OTC like Snyder did and like Cejudo did before him. 

Why didn't more people try shooting on Snyder at the US Open?  Macintosh showed how to do it  Disappointed Gadson didn't show.

He's good. No secret. He's the jr world champion, he should be beating good opponents.

He's just straight up better than Kilgore, and him and Varner have such a similar style... Varner made one mistake, Snyder didn't. Varner in 2011-12 is probably beating Snyder but I'm not sure if that version of Varner still exists.

Shocked, no, but definitely impressed!

IMO, Varner is still the most likely representative for Worlds this year.  

I won't speculate into next year, but another year of maturity can't hurt Snyder's chances. 

Olympic redshirt?

Snyder has been wrestling the absolute best upper weight guys at the weight-Kilgore,Bergman,Tervel and Varner for two full years and he wrestled the greatest at his weight(Gatsalov) ever. He went to the OTC in high school and is better at Freestyle over Folk because of this. I would like to see what Gadsen could do though I am sure his freestyle wouldn't be as good. With that said I think Varner wins it this year at WTT. But Snyder is the heir apparent. I am glad he is better at Freestyle over Folk will bode well for him.

He's good. No secret. He's the jr world champion, he should be beating good opponents.

He's just straight up better than Kilgore, and him and Varner have such a similar style... Varner made one mistake, Snyder didn't. Varner in 2011-12 is probably beating Snyder but I'm not sure if that version of Varner still exists.

I agree, he really did whip Kilgore. He and Varner are deed even, same style. The trials will be close here between Varner and Snyder. JD and Jden also. One takedown matches between all those four could win the trials. If Varner gets his mojo back then I say he is still the favorite but will be interesting for sure. 

I am quite surprised. I knew Snyder could hang but I didn't think he'd win it all. I gave him a 20% chance at best.

He is undersized for the weight, having just made 197 for an entire year.If he went he Pico route and focused exclusively on freestyle and bulked up to full size, I think he'd be our rep at the weight starting this year through the Olympics and beyond. Alas, I agree he probably won't win out at the WTTs in a best of 3.

Why not?

Not like Varner did something stupid in their match, Snyder just beat him. Varner and Bergman are arguably last their prime, he's 2-0 vs Cox this year... It will be tough but no reason he can't win (again).

Why not?

Not like Varner did something stupid in their match, Snyder just beat him. Varner and Bergman are arguably last their prime, he's 2-0 vs Cox this year... It will be tough but no reason he can't win (again).

No reason why not. It's a matter of how likely you think it is. Snyder could certainly win out, but I think it's less than 50% likely.

I am not trying to make excuses for Varner, but he wrestled like an idiot. He did absolutely nothing and then tried desperately when it was too late. He is significantly bigger than Snyder and could employ a much more productive strategy in the future. If he does so, I have him beating Snyder. I really hope that doesn't happen because Varner has become my least favorite US wrestler to watch. So much talent and physical prowess, so little production on the mat.....

If it's not Varner but JD in the best of 3, I think JD gets the edge because he is so familiar with Snyder. They wrestle all the time and JD also has a size and reach advantage.

Here's a question. Say Snyder is our guy for starting this year. Is that unprecedented for the US? Is that good for us to have a guy training folk half the year and freestyle the other half? I guess if he's the best guy then it's better than the next best guy, but still.

Here's a question. Say Snyder is our guy for starting this year. Is that unprecedented for the US? Is that good for us to have a guy training folk half the year and freestyle the other half? I guess if he's the best guy then it's better than the next best guy, but still.

What do you mean unprecedented, you mean a college guy on the world team?

Varner's owned the weight since he was in college as well.  

Schlatter was also a world team member while competing in college.   

Cejudo was a world team member and Olympian prior to college.   

I'm not sure if that is what you are asking .

wrestlingnerd....you got it right.  i was there at the match, and varner did nothing....actually quite disappointing to see someone with supposedly so much talent not do anything.....what did he have to lose ?

he was already losing

Considering that Snyder wrestles a freestyle 'style' during folkstyle meets, I don't think it's a big deal for him to continue on his current path.  OLY redshirt may help his chances for 2016, but if he wins WTT, I don't think it will be necessary, as he'll simply continue to improve.  Watching Snyder, he still has a pretty big upside.  He wrestles 'small'.  

I'm good with Snyder or Varner as our World Team rep. The guy I don't want to see is JD. I know people of this thread and out the in forum land want to see him as our guy, but I think they're forgetting JD has been there and he hasn't done anything. Even at the other tune up tourneys in Europe, I can't remember him doing very well. At least with Varner we have a proven competitor., who is capable of medaling or winning it all. Anyway, I If Kyle is our guy and is somewhat undersized, (I not sure what his walking around weight is), but hopefully he and his coaches can figure out something.

One other thing, I think this is more about Varner and less about Snyder. The reason is that I believe after 2012, Jake has changed the way he wrestles. I think he's adopted the strategy of maintaining good position and being defensive. Conversely his offense has suffered. So we'll see what he comes up with at the WTT.

Why are you surprised? If you've watched Varner since the Olympics he has had zero offense. Snyder is a young and hungry Junior World Champion who is getting better everyday

Because Gadson broke Snyder mind, body, and soul in the NCAA finals.