Sign in to follow this  
BraunMann

How Is Snyder Able To Beat Kilgore and Varner?

Keep in mind that this will undoubtedly be one of the hardest weight classes to medal in at the Worlds this year.  These are from the May rankings:

1. Abdusalam GADISOV (RUS) – World No.1 (1)
2. Khetag GAZUMOV (AZE) – Medved Prizes No.1 (2)
3. Sharif SHARIFOV (AZE) – Medved Prizes No.2 (5)
4. Valeri ANDRIITSEV (UKR) – Medved Prizes No.3 (3)
5. Reza YAZDANI (IRI) – Asian Games No.1 (4)

Who is most likely to knock one of these guys off the podium? Probably Varner, IMO, because he can almost match their physical prowess, but I'd love to see Snyder take a crack at them to see where he has to develop to get where they are at.  He probably isn't going to be locking up and tossing any of the above this year though.

Edit: Varner was ranked 18th, for what it's worth.

Edited by GoNotQuietly

Most everyone said the exact same thing about this weight class in 2012. And they were right but Varner wrestled well and got the right draw and the rest of history. I don't think anyone expected Varner to win in 2008 and he was arguably not a shoo in to repeat his 2011 medal (this is what everyone said, I didn't really have an opinion in this case). So maybe Varner was never quite as good as a little time and the constant 2012 Gold Medalist drumbeat suggests.

Take Sharipov (Can't beat Gaz) off that list and most likely Yazdani.  Varner just beat Iran's #2 guy Mohammedian. So that leaves heavy favorites Gadisov and Gaz. No one is beating them most likely. I am watching Saidov who left Russia, did his one year suspension and is now wrestling for Belarus. He was a force. Varner could medal but I think that is a long shot. Snyder I would think has no chance but I didn't think he would win the open either. Varner's problem is that he doesn't train everyday with Cael like he did in 11 and 12. Snyder trains with Tervel. Snyder has the absolute best training partner.

Edited by PRyan2012

Varner in 2008? Varner was a sophomore in college and lost to Hrovat in the OTT finals. He was the new up and coming guy then like Snyder now. He pinned Herbert in that event.

Edited by PRyan2012

Good points.  I also think they are both long shots, with Varner being less of an underdog simply because he is such an ox.  I like both guys a lot, and will be rooting for either.  If Varner has lost a step, or is dealing with nagging injuries/ wear&tear, we might be better of sending Snyder just so he gets a feel for the tournament.  He will be dealing with Gadisov for a while I'd imagine.

Varner in 2008? Varner was a sophomore in college and lost to Hrovat in the OTT finals. He was the new up and coming guy then like Snyder now. He pinned Herbert in that event.

I thought Hrovat beat Lawal in the finals?