Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

Beat the Streets USA v Cuba freestyle

glad to see everyone took my advice and matched up Taylor with Lopez. These all look pretty awesome. some rematches from the world cup and some new bouts. 

57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Tony Ramos (USA) vs. Yowlys Bonne Rodriguez (Cuba)
65 kg/143 lbs. – Brent Metcalf (USA) vs. Franklin Maren Castillo (Cuba)
74 kg/163 lbs. – Jordan Burroughs (USA) vs. Luis Esteban Quintana Martinez (Cuba)
74 kg/163 lbs. – David Taylor (USA) vs. Livan Lopez Azcuy (Cuba)
86 kg/189 lbs. – Jake Herbert (USA) vs. Reineris Salas Perez (Cuba)
97 kg/213 lbs. – Kyle Snyder (USA) vs. Javier Cortina Lacerra (Cuba)
125 kg/275 lbs. – Tervel Dlagnev (USA) vs. Andres Ramos Dinza (Cuba)

It's not clear who was offered a berth vs who declined. I am very curious to see how Herbert does vs Salas. I don't imagine Salas wants to go 0-2 vs the US before the worlds. I imagine Herbert doesn't want to lose to the guy Ruth just beat so I think this one will be particularly hard fought. 

I'm also very excited about DT vs Lopez. He's the guy that Taylor needs to beat to prove he can take on world medalists. This is a big opportunity for him,

It's not clear who was offered a berth vs who declined. I am very curious to see how Herbert does vs Salas. I don't imagine Salas wants to go 0-2 vs the US before the worlds. I imagine Herbert doesn't want to lose to the guy Ruth just beat so I think this one will be particularly hard fought. 

I'm also very excited about DT vs Lopez. He's the guy that Taylor needs to beat to prove he can take on world medalists. This is a big opportunity for him,

If you are selected, you have a choice of declining?

This years BTS match is underwhelming. Why have essentially the same team as at the World Cup. People want to see or #1s and all but at least I'm not that interested to see rematches from a month ago. Give me Pico or Steiber at 65kg. Give me Simmons or McDonough at 57kg. The most interesting match is Taylor-Lopez and that's only bc there are 2 74 kg matches.

This years BTS match is underwhelming. Why have essentially the same team as at the World Cup. People want to see or #1s and all but at least I'm not that interested to see rematches from a month ago. Give me Pico or Steiber at 65kg. Give me Simmons or McDonough at 57kg. The most interesting match is Taylor-Lopez and that's only bc there are 2 74 kg matches.

Cuba is a nice choice. A lot of the BTS crowd will not have watched the World Cup. We also recently warmed up our official relationship with Cuba, so Cuba's invitation is timely. Finally, as a fan, I'm pretty excited about these matches. 

Yeah... Herbert had the tournament of his life and a bit of fortune in the draw. He missed out on Aldatov who had just beaten him and young Gadisov and Sharifov, whom he beat, were willing to run and gun with him. Every guy on this list has done great things.

Salas beat him the year after, countering the single repeatedly. Also Cerra Pelado I think.

Sokhiev the clinch master had a historic collapse in the next years world finals and never got close again.

Edited by armspin

Does anyone know if Dieringer vs. Davis will happen on folk rules? Or is it going to be freestyle?

Not sure what rules are going to be used. But that is the most intriguing match of the whole event imo. I think dieringer wins easily but I've wanted Joey Davis to take on elite D1 wrestlers for awhile now, should be interesting to see where he truly stands.

I didn't know Salas had whooped Herbert, thanks but in every video I could find Herbert didn't have the mullet, so it doesn't count. Mullet > Ruth > Salas.

But yeah this 2010 Salas-Herbert is no fluke. Herbert gets in over and over and never scores and Salas counter-scores half the time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1b4GS-EQ5U

does davis even train FS? don't recall ever hearing his name mentioned in any events

in re the event itself, can bystanders watch without paying admission? i'd very much enjoy taking the 2 hr ride to watch

does davis even train FS? don't recall ever hearing his name mentioned in any events

in re the event itself, can bystanders watch without paying admission? i'd very much enjoy taking the 2 hr ride to watch

Yeah…..I have watched this on cable in recent years. Although, this time Big D gonna be there, with bells on. It seemed like the crowd was sorta 'everywhere'(while watching on my TV). Is there a question here ?

Does one (me) get to sit on bleachers ? There seems to be lots of folks kinda mingling about TS. I have read the literature. I plan to buy tics. I have a tough schedule that day…..what with my youngest being 'in concert' (mid evening) -- 12 blocks from TS.   I'm just sayin'.

Don't forget to set your DVR ….NBC Sports Net.

Oh, and about paying for admission. I figure- hey :

"This  unique and electrifying event helps raise significant funds for the urban youth."

When it's for the kids……I'm all in.

I think the US will win- home field advantage is a real thing- but 57, 74 (Lopez) 84 and arguably 97 for Cuba should be on-paper favorites.

Lopez came within 10 seconds of winning worlds at 66 before Safayrsn hit a last second hi-c to win on criteria.

Edited by armspin