Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Bubba Jenkins apparently discusses the Pico situation

I listened...There were two people interviewing him.  Focus was MMA, but wrestling was touched on. 

Below are some of the things he mentioned related to wrestling...

-- Explained what a redshirt was.

-- Explained history of unicorn slayer nickname.

-- Talked about all the women he banged when he transferred to ASU

Then he talked about Cael controversy.  Here is what he basically said....

1. While at Iowa St, Cael never recruited him out of HS despite being the #1 recruit in the country.

2. When Cael came to PSU he was already an AA (after losing to Metcalf in the finals), but coaches shunned him due to his flamboyant style.

3. Coaches would not even tell him times of practice, etc, he had to find out from teammates.

4. Coaches stripped him of his captaincy without explanation.

5. Controversy related to something over Thanksgiving break about wrestling in a voluntary holiday tourney (East Stroudsburg Open?). Coaches thought he was going to compete.  Communication gap of some sort.

Pretty much everything above he stated as being irrefutable facts that neither the coaches nor he would dispute (although I doubt that), but then he hit on what seemed to be the biggest issue (of which he conceded the facts are in dispute).

There was an issue with the scale used at the beginning of the season for weight certification.  Bubba claims that others, unbeknownst to him, jury rigged the scale with tape before the weigh-ins started.  The officials discovered the issue when Bubba was being weighed and they and coaches believed it was Bubba who was behind it all.  That seems to be the biggest issue in the saga (according to Bubba) -- and when that happened Cael was pretty much done with Bubba

Then he got into the whole situation with Cael not releasing him. Would have had to sit out a year if he stayed in the B1G, etc..

He also stated that he wanted to go to Cornell more the ASU and have Dake as his sparring partner.  I missed why he ended up at ASU instead of Cornell.

He did acknowledge that Cael tried to seek him out to congratulate him after pining Taylor, but Bubba had no time for him.

Then he moved back to MMA discussion, which seems to be his real focus (as one would expect).  He said going from NCAA wrestling to MMA is like going from HS to College.  He never even thinks about his wrestling days any more.  He has moved on.

Most interesting part of the interview were his tales of tails at ASU.

Edited by Angry_Fish

He did acknowledge that Cael tried to seek him out to congratulate him after pining Taylor, but Bubba had no time for him.

Cael did extend his hand for the post-match congratulatory handshake and Bubba responded appropriately; it was not a big deal. At one of the exits on the floor, Cael had just signed an autograph for my son when Bubba was walking out. It was a nice gesture, and if you didn't know the background, it would have seemed normal.

5. Controversy related to something over Thanksgiving break about wrestling in a voluntary holiday tourney (East Stroudsburg Open?). Coaches thought he was going to compete.  Communication gap of some sort.

Not trolling:

Without remembering the source, the version I heard on the internet is Bubba purposefully missed weight for 157 at that Open to screw up his certification for 149. IIRC the coaching staff wanted Bubba to stay at 149, and put Cyler Sanderson in at 157; Bubba wanted to move up and challenge Cyler. By missing 157 at the early season Open, Bubba locked himself out of wrestling 149 for the rest of the season. 

Again, I can't specifically remember where I read that, but it was on the internet. Take it with a grain of salt, I guess? 

The missed weight at 157 is exactly what happened at the Lock Haven Open. This seemed to be the last straw after he made himself ineligible for the fall "on purpose." I can't imagine why he didn't land at Cornell to be Dake's workout partner.

He also stated that he wanted to go to Cornell more the ASU and have Dake as his sparring partner.  I missed why he ended up at ASU instead of Cornell.

His friend Brian Stith (2x AA & NCAA runner-up for ASU, also from VA Beach/Cox H.S.) was an assistant coach for ASU at the time.

Bubba won a Junior World Championship and what else?

He says Pico hasn't done anything. Well Bubba maybe being out to sleep helped him forget Pico beat a Senior World Champ something he never did, Pico has beaten Senior level guys while still in high school somethung Bubba never did, Pico has boxing and Pankrstion accolades something Bubba doesn't have.

Come on Bubba your a 1x NCAA champ and Junior world champ why you hating on a kid

He says Pico hasn't done anything. Well Bubba maybe being out to sleep helped him forget Pico beat a Senior World Champ something he never did, Pico has beaten Senior level guys while still in high school somethung Bubba never did, Pico has boxing and Pankrstion accolades something Bubba doesn't have.

Come on Bubba your a 1x NCAA champ and Junior world champ why you hating on a kid

Lighten up Francis.

Bubba never even mentioned Pico.

Pico was a Pankration champion in the traditional division (without striking to the head) not Elite division.

3. Coaches would not even tell him times of practice, etc, he had to find out from teammates.

4. Coaches stripped him of his captaincy without explanation.

LOL

did any other other kids miss practices ?

did any other kids not wrestle in the holiday tourney ?

no explanation for not being captain ?   paleeeeeeeeeeeeeese

Edited by wrestlpsu

I know nothing inside here but over Thanksgiving would be the Lock Haven Mat Town. He was there but missed weight. I remember saying something to him.As I recall he was supposed to go 157 and ended up 3rd at 165 with DT winning 157 in his rs year. There was discussion here that he missed intentionally but I have no idea. The discussion I had with him might have involved if he wanted to bump or not wrestle at all so as to not have the weighin screw up his descent. I know I thought about it- can't recall if we actually discussed it.