DROP

Melvin Douglas & Nate Carr & Les Gutches

Can you guy's PLEASE collaborate or individually make a Duck under Video dvd instruction with your set ups, philosophy ,and mindset ? I bet you would definitely sell a ton. I'm a huge fan just venting..lol now I coach and would like to break it down more methodically for the youth. Sorry for the rant. And please guys I have enough YouTube clips ,I wanna hear from the masters opinions.

I wish I could have learned from one of the best. And just ask questions. I didn't get into ducks much until the Marines learning Greco. I was into arm throws and the 2_1 game. But the little I did learn made my folk,Freestyle game really open up

Nate Carr had a spectacular duck under.

Only a few current wrestlers may be have the timing, explosiveness and aggressiveness to replicate Nate Carr's world class duck under.

While Humphrey's Hump Nasty Ducks are incredible but Nate Carr's may be best ever.

I agree with you on Carr and Hump. Definitely pay alot of attention to Hump lately. Both smaller guys and extremely explosive. Even though I consider myself an above average duck guy. I'm bigger and really like how Douglas made it look so easy,against larger opponents. He is a shorter upper weight as I am...uh hem was lol.

Nate Carr had a spectacular duck under.

Only a few current wrestlers may be have the timing, explosiveness and aggressiveness to replicate Nate Carr's world class duck under.

While Humphrey's Hump Nasty Ducks are incredible but Nate Carr's may be best ever.

Two extremely quick guys, but they have nothing on The Waco Kid:  (about 2 minutes in.)

In 1996 I had a HS freestyle club at ASU. Sunkist Kids practice was right before mine. Had a kid who was trying to do duckunders. I taught him what I'd learned from Wayne Wells. The kid good pretty good with what I'd taught him. One day I went over to Melvin a fellow native Kansan and OU guy like me. I asked him if he could spend 30 minutes with this kid on a duckunder, since his was the best in the world. He spent about an hour and I watched all of Melvin's instruction. I still teach what I learned that day. About a week later the kid comes in and said my HS coach isn't real happy, he said you are setting up your setups. His coach had been 2nd in D2.

Nate Carr came out of retirement and was in the room working out. This kid and a freshman walkon at ASU were rotating in on Nate, who was just playing with them. The kid comes over and asks me how to take Nate down. I told him in your dreams you can't take him down! I said that's Nate Carr, he said whose that. I said Kenny Monday couldn't win the NCAA until Nate graduated. I gave him a quick history lesson on Nate. About 15 minutes later Nate stopped taking it easy, and worked them over. The kid comes over and said I've never been worked like that in my entire career. I replied now you know how he won all those medals.

That's awesome. Who do you Gents think has the best dvd covering the technical skills and set ups for ducks? & not super ducks. Just mostly ducks to body locks and such. Like Nate and Melvin. They didn't have to lower their levels as much as some.

I've went through them thanks very much though , I'm old school and like something I can have and go back to to reference. I really like dvds and old vhs.lol I still have some old Carl Adams stuff. Lol

Does anyone know or have an idea how to contact Douglas? I'm the VP of our club and wouldn't mind paying him for a clinic. We have some real tough upper weights that I believe could really benefit from it as well as the smaller guys too.

Melvin Douglas in your room would be a treat. I cannot remember the match and I wish I could, but I saw a clip of him hitting a sweet duck under/metzger if that is such a thing. He ducked to the guy's left and simultaneously hi-c with his left arm and dumps the guy to his back.

Edited by heelpick

It is a type of Metzger. Andre says he has 5 versions. I was coaching a stocky 220 pounder at Midwest City who I was trying to get to do duckunders without much success. One day I asked the two paid coaches why they didn't have kids practice a front head chancer. It was one of the first moves I teach beginning wrestlers for two reasons.

1 they get a lot of pins against opponents who are inexperienced.

2. Kids in my room learn to shoot with their elbows in and heads up, or a teammate will plant them with the front head chancer.

So they had me demonstrate, as I pointed out you want the opponent's head under your chest. Then I showed them what happens when you don't get the head under your chest. I had Kory hookup up the front head chancer with my head outside. I hit a duckunder, while pulling down his arm/shoulder, and going through his crotch with my arm that wasn't underhooked. Then did a backarch and turn taking him to his back. Kory picked it up immediately and has been using it since then. He said at the cadet duals he pinned 5 guys with it, they had no idea of what he was doing. You could also hit a fireman's carry as a counter to an i properly done front headcatcher.

Melvin is an excellent teacher of technique. Email me at wapplegate@cox.net and I'll give you Melvin's cell number.