Sign in to follow this  
Bloate

All time favorite match

Since it's the off season and I'm old and like to reminisce, my favorite match (excluding Schulz v Banach) was in 1965 at Gallagher Arena as it was known then. OSU was hosting Arzona State and Moorehead State. ASU had Curly Culprit at Hwt and Moorhead had a Hwt Bob Billberg. Culp looked like Hercules and Billberg looked more like Babe the Blue Ox. No one in the arean thought Billberg stood a chance against Culp until Billberg pinned him.

My 2nd favorite match also took place in Gallagher in 1982. OSU had 300 plus Mitch Shelton at Hwt and OU brought Steve Williwms . The match in classic fashion came down to Hwt after Mike Sheets beat David Schultz. Doc came out to wrestle and was ther to put an ass whopping on Shelton. Only Doc mad a significant technical error when he shot for a double at which time Shelton laid his substantial belly on Doc's back and drove forward resulting in a pin. OSU wins.

As we were leaving the arean some what stunned, I heard one of the most insightful comments I've ever heard about a wrestling match when one of the fans said "It was a classic battle between brute strength and obesity. Obesity wins every time.

Metcalf vs. Caldwell in NCAA finals will always be a favorite of mine. Also really enjoyed Dake vs Molinaro finals match Dake's sophomore year. Those are the best recent ones that come to my mind.

I'm an Okie and root for OSU, OU and native born Oklahomans in general plus the mighty Columbia Lions. That being said, if you watch these videos and don't appreciate Brands and the "Iowa style" of wrestling you are not a true wrestling fan.