Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Kyle Snyder doing an OLY redshirt?

Its definitely being talked about on Ohiowestling.net, and it might make some sense.  Not many 19 year olds are talented enough to win a US Open, so he has serious Olympic potential at a young age, that Oly RS year could prove very beneficial.  It would also make room for Mark Martin to move into the lineup at either 84 if Courts moves up or 97 similar to what Heflin did 2 years ago. There has been a lot of talk on that website that Martin will not be able to make 74 for another season due to the cut. Then Myles Martin redshirts, and the following year you have Myles Martin, Mark Martin, and Kyle Snyder at 74-97.  But thats assuming Myles can make 74 after a redshirt year.  I think its been on record somewhere that myles doesn't cut a whole lot at all for 82, but i may be wrong about that.

If it will help him then he should do it.

John Smith did not and was a pretty good wrestler.

Yojiro Uetake did not and was a pretty good wrestler.

Both of them won Olympic Gold while still in College and came back to wrestle for Oklahoma State after doing so.

I think that cherry-picking two of the best wrestlers ever and saying they didn't so Snyder doesn't have to doesn't make sense. Snyder should want to increase the odds as high as possible for himself and weight that against any costs to himself and his team of doing so. So if he wants to focus on freestyle and his team is at least grudgingly ok with it, then go for it. Just because Smith didn't do it doesn't mean Snyder shouldn't. 

Plus the situation with Smith (which is easily researched) was different in several important ways. 

Smith won his first world medal in 1987 when he was a redshirt junior and a 1x NCAA champion and had been freestyle national champ 2x (1986, 1987) and Goodwill Games champion (1986). His senior year of college was 1988. He had already proved he could win an NCAA and world title in the same year. So if the Olympics would have been after his freshman or sophomore year, he might have felt differently about taking the oly redshirt. That said to redshirt that year and focus exclusively on the olympics may have been the right thing to do. He lost one of three to Randy Lewis in the trials. So in hindsight maybe it was too much risk to focus on both collegiate and olympic. 

I wonder if there are any good stats re college wrestlers who take an Olympic red shirt and medal at the Olympics vs college wrestlers who don't take the Olympic red shirt and medal.

Maybe folkstyle/freestyle hybrid training isn't such a bad thing.  Who knows- maybe Varner will start throwing a little folkstyle back into his game.  

Kyle also has guys like JD Bergman an arms length away, whether or not he takes the red shirt.

Edited by TheOhioState

I wonder if there are any good stats re college wrestlers who take an Olympic red shirt and medal at the Olympics vs college wrestlers who don't take the Olympic red shirt and medal.

Maybe folkstyle/freestyle hybrid training isn't such a bad thing.  Who knows- maybe Varner will start throwing a little folkstyle back into his game.  

Kyle also has guys like JD Bergman an arms length away, whether or not he takes the red shirt.

We don't have enough people who have won an olympic medal while still in college to do this with any degree of accuracy.  You don't need statistics to know that training in freestyle will make you better at freestyle.  Wasting less time on folkstyle, avoiding the grind of the college season, and participating in a couple international tournaments will give him a better opportunity to peak for the trials and potentially the Olympics.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

In my opinion, it's less about the folkstyle training and more about making 197 throughout a long NCAA season when he should be bulking up to maximize his weight at 211. Obviously, size has not hampered Snyder so far, but that doesn't mean an extra 15-20 lbs wouldn't actually help him either.

Oly redshirts aren't necessary. The great ones will find a way. The trials aren't until summer anyway. He isn't going to be hampered by wrestling in college for a season.

It's not that wrestling in college will hamper him, its the being away from freestyle that's the concern

It's not that wrestling in college will hamper him, its the being away from freestyle that's the concern

What has hampered his freestyle abilities thus far? I ask because even after competing for 6 or 7 months in folkstyle for his freshman campaign with Ohio State, he turned around and won the US Open and defeated his opponent at the most recent Beat the Streets event.

A bit less to your point and more to the overall philosophy of "all freestyle, all the time" it appears to me that even if the US landed a medal in all weight classes in all styles, some would not be happy unless we did away with folkstyle. And these same people would most likely point to the fact that not all medals were gold. From where I sit, it seems the US has its ebbs and flows with great individuals in all Olympic styles.  

He weighed 100 kg+ at the BTS weigh ins. That's 220. A big move down to 197 and back up.

Also I'm no Snyder expert but he does seem to move better and with more energy in freestyle then college. If he's sucking 20 lbs on a same day weigh in that's got to be affecting his preformance.

how about adding some poundage to the NCAA weight classes? stretching it out more on the heavy end than the light.

125 +1% 126

133 +1% 134

141 +2% 144

149 +2% 152

157 +2% 160

165 +3% 170

174 +3% 179

184 +3% 190

197 +4% 205

285 +0% 285

197 is too low. i think it's worth to just move 197 up to 205 or so. just an idea. 

Looking over some possibilities... Snyder could win the WTT in June and keep healthy, getting stronger and quicker for the next 12 weeks (the time between WTT and Worlds) scheduled for Sept 7-12.  His weight is fine for getting to and maintaining the 213 weight class.  So then comes the thought that he does not Olympic Redshirt and from Sept he has to make the gradual cut to 197.  That is 16 lbs over a decent period of time for November/December time frame.  He could also weigh in for early matches as a 285 pounder as he continued his cut to 197.  The other way to go with more options are Olympic Redshirt with foreign travel and matches from September 2015 til the Olympic trials in 2016 and get huge for the 213 weight class.  If he goes that way, my guess is he comes back for last 3 years as a 225 pound heavyweight and does fine in the NCAAs for Ohio State.

What has hampered his freestyle abilities thus far? I ask because even after competing for 6 or 7 months in folkstyle for his freshman campaign with Ohio State, he turned around and won the US Open and defeated his opponent at the most recent Beat the Streets event.

A bit less to your point and more to the overall philosophy of "all freestyle, all the time" it appears to me that even if the US landed a medal in all weight classes in all styles, some would not be happy unless we did away with folkstyle. And these same people would most likely point to the fact that not all medals were gold. From where I sit, it seems the US has its ebbs and flows with great individuals in all Olympic styles.  

I don't know that we know the answer to that question.   He took a year off to focus on freestyle and he placed lower at junior worlds than when he had not been concentrating solely on freestyle.  But then he refocuses on folk and gets hit with a junior high school move at NCAAs.  Then again while just coming out of folk, he wins the US open.   Perhaps he needs to not focus on either exclusively in order to achieve his best result.   

His interview on Flo offered enough of an answer for me. 

For his sake, I hope he wins the WWT, just so he knows what's on his plate. If he doesn't, I doubt it changes much. IMO, he should still take the redshirt, it would be better for team USA, and I don't see it having a negative effect on his education. He mentioned the negative effect on tOSU next year, but that's short sighted. Having a sophomore as a legit olympic contender in more attribute than detriment. 

Also, I agree with anyone saying we should move the 197 weight class closer to 97kg. Is there a good case to not do this? Seems obvious.