Sign in to follow this  
AnklePicker

Way to beat Dake

Kellen Russell beat Montell Marion in ride outs in the 2011 semis. At that point Marion was a returning finalist and Russell had flamed out considering his seed in his previous two tourneys. They wrestled a lot of close matches after that but Russell always won. Hoping that Dake-Taylor goes similarly.

Kellen Russell beat Montell Marion in ride outs in the 2011 semis. At that point Marion was a returning finalist and Russell had flamed out considering his seed in his previous two tourneys. They wrestled a lot of close matches after that but Russell always won. Hoping that Dake-Taylor goes similarly.

I completely see what you mean, but I do not think this is a fair comparison. You can construct an argument where Russell may be considered on the level of Dake/Taylor, especially Taylor who only has 1 title so far (although I don't really believe he fits quite on that tier, as great as he was). But Marion is a different story all together. Im sorry, the guy was a great wrestler and very fun to watch, but he never even won a title.

But again, I see what you are getting at. I think it is different though. Russell vs. Marion was a match-up problem (IMO) more than them both being equal in skill. I think that is what kept their match close, it was just one of those things, Marion was just one of those guys he had trouble with. Dake v Taylor on the other hand, I think they are very very close in skill (although they do have contrasting styles) that is what will keep their match ups close.