Sign in to follow this  
Zebra

I just saw this on an Ohio Forum - New age limit

http://www.ohsaa.org/members/refvote/20150518ReferendumVotingResults.pdf

For some reason I cannot copy and past text but I can the link.

People on the Ohio message board are saying that this can lead to a kid graduating at 20 while having still been eligible for all 4 years of high school. I read it that way too provided you turn 20 after the end of your senior season, i.e. after State.  

Looks like a student could be eligible for football in september, but maybe not for wrestling in December, or Wrestling but not then Baseball. That was the rule in Penna in the 1960s.

Right now the Pa rule would allow a kid who turned 19 on July 2, 2014 to be in the Baseball Championship game June 12, 2015, then turn 20 less than 3 weeks later.

In Michigan, you cannot be 19 before September 1st to be eligible for that school year. So essentially you can be 19 yr 9 mth when you graduate. I have seen two extreme cases in Michigan were kids pushed the boundary very close and they were both elite wrestlers. 

It is a disgrace. A complete joke. You should not be able to compete if you turn 18 before the end of your junior year. Sad part is most people that turn into really elite athletes don't go this route. This is a sure fire recipe to get more college busts.

I live in Michigan.  My son is a 2nd grader.  His birthday is in October.  He did Developmental Kindergarten and regular K.  He will be 18 his senior year in October.  He has ADHD and needs another year of 2nd.  So in MI he will still be able to play sports as a senior (at 19).  He is by no means an elite athlete who is going to be redshirted.  We have WAY more circumstances like this than the 8th grade redshirt.  You just never hear about them. That is not a "disgrace". 

It is a disgrace. A complete joke. You should not be able to compete if you turn 18 before the end of your junior year. Sad part is most people that turn into really elite athletes don't go this route. This is a sure fire recipe to get more college busts.

Uggghh.... Emotional platitudes without the context of facts.

Hate to break it to you, but it is far more likely that the elite athletes are "older."  Feel free to do some research before you shout from the mountaintop.  

Rizzo I don't agree with this at all.

While I think 20 is a bit much there are a certain percentage of students, who because of the kindergarten enrollment date and child's date of birth are never held back yet turn 19 in their final year of high school.   

Edited by Zebra

Rizzo I don't agree with this at all.

While I think 20 is a bit much there are a certain percentage of students, who because of the kindergarten enrollment date and child's date of birth are never held back yet turn 19 in their final year of high school.   

I don't recall anyone who fell into this category when I was in high school.  The only kids who were 19 in my senior class were kids who had been held back. 

If someone legitimately enrolled in school in the proper year and still turns 19 as a senior in high school, I suppose that's one thing.  I've just never been aware of that happening. 

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

Rizzo this conversation comes up every year and I've done some digging around, it looks like somewhere between 10%-15% of kids turn 19 in the latter 3 months of their senior year.

Edited by Zebra

I had one classmate that managed to get an extra year. He had to petition the school district in order to play sports. Supposedly he had to take the extra year because of illness as a junior. He wasn't elite. He did qualify for state though.

Here is the reality of it, people will skirt the rules and bend them as much as possible to get an advantage. Whether that is holding a kid back, cheating on hydration tests, or a million other things. The ones that are held back for athletic reasons are in an extreme minority, but they are the ones we hear about. We never seem to hear about the kid who had dyslexia or some other developmental reason for being held back.

How conscious of age are college recruiters? Winning championships is more impressive at 15, 16, and 17 than 17, 18, and 19. Of course some kids are full grown men at 14 so perhaps physical maturity is the more important variable than age for gauging college potential.

A very prominent coach (perennial top 5 program) told me last summer that he takes the age of HS kids into account and definitely discounts the value of some accomplishments of older kids and particularly in the middle and heavier weights where it is more physical.