Sign in to follow this  
SP103

Eric Guerrero and Joe Williams/ 4x champ what if?

Had Eric Guerrero redshirted his true freshman year would he have been a 4 time champ? How about Joe Williams, he gets his redshirt pulled his true freshman year and is an AA and then redshirts the following year where he avenges a lopsided loss to Sean Bormet. What do you guys think?

Had Eric Guerrero redshirted his true freshman year would he have been a 4 time champ? How about Joe Williams, he gets his redshirt pulled his true freshman year and is an AA and then redshirts the following year where he avenges a lopsided loss to Sean Bormet. What do you guys think?

---------

I think you could make a strong case for either being 4x'ers.

Guerrero was an incredible talent. My memory is a little hazy, but I think as an 18 yr old, true fr, he defeated Iowa's national champ, Jeff McGuiness, and AA'd. He subsequently won 3 straight crowns, his last one at age 21, never having taken a RS. That's pretty young compared to many current guys (not sure about Dake, who may be similar).

Given how most guys show a lot of improvement with a year of working out at a good d1 program, I gotta believe Guerrero, with a year of training under John Smith, would've had a great shot.

Joe Williams was AA his true fr year. His RS year after that had him undefeated and winning Midlands. Benion of IL was the ncaa champ the year that Williams took a RS, and when he returned the following year, Williams defeated Benion for the crown, and won the following two years as well. So, not a stretch, to think Williams could've done it, imo.

So, if Dake pulls it off, it will be a first.... a 4x'er without a redshirt. Historic.

I forgot Pat Smith took a redshirt after his junior year. Yes it would be a first. Dake\Taylor will be the most anticipated final ever, even bigger than Schultz vs Banach. Mark kept Ed from 4 titles but the difference is that it was Ed junior year and Dake will try and complete something that has never been done. Owings vs Gable is one of those also. Could youimagine if Dake beats Taylor at the scuffle and Taylor beats him in the finals. I am getting goose bumps thinking about it.

Stephen Abas.

1998: 4th as a freshman

1999: 1st as a soph

2000: Olympic RS (Jeremy Hunter from Penn State won 125 - Abas beat him in the 1999 finals)

2001: 1st as a RS jr

2002: 1st as a RS sr

Pretty sure Abas took a redshirt year before finishing 4th.

Stephen Abas.

1998: 4th as a freshman

1999: 1st as a soph

2000: Olympic RS (Jeremy Hunter from Penn State won 125 - Abas beat him in the 1999 finals)

2001: 1st as a RS jr

2002: 1st as a RS sr

Pretty sure Abas took a redshirt year before finishing 4th.

KTG119 - My bad. You're correct, Abas graduated from hs in 1996.