Angry_Fish

Snyder Taking Olympic RS Next Year -- All but definite

If any college kid has the right to take one-I'd say it's him. Ohio State doesn't have a chance to win it all without him, IMO.

I wonder if he trains exclusively in Ohio or if he makes some trips to Colorado, Europe, Cuba etc?

If any college kid has the right to take one-I'd say it's him. Ohio State doesn't have a chance to win it all without him, IMO.

I wonder if he trains exclusively in Ohio or if he makes some trips to Colorado, Europe, Cuba etc?

If he takes the Oly redshirt they'd still have a chance, but obviously a smaller chance. Would help Iowa, Missou and Penn State as they would have three of the leading contenders at the weight. 

First, I really liked the interview. He seems like a stand up guy, no BS, seems to understand the balance his needs with the teams needs. Yeah it will hurt Ohio State next year, but hey, it will help them in his senior year. And taking the oly redshirt makes his chances of being a 3x-er that much better. Herbert certainly benefited from his oly redshirt in that way, no?

First, I really liked the interview. He seems like a stand up guy, no BS, seems to understand the balance his needs with the teams needs. Yeah it will hurt Ohio State next year, but hey, it will help them in his senior year. And taking the oly redshirt makes his chances of being a 3x-er that much better. Herbert certainly benefited from his oly redshirt in that way, no?

I don't know if I would say it benefited him during college. He took an Oly Redshirt during the 07-08 season. So at that point he had already gone 3,2,1 in college. Oly Redshirt 07-08, Ncaa champ in 08-09. Now he then won a world silver medal in 2009 though. So that Oly redshirt year may have helped him out for that.

Being the forever optimist/obvious OSU homer that I am.... I'm hoping this opens up another door opportunity for a key transfer to come in like Blaise Butler to Missouri.

The obvious candidate I'd hope to make the move would be Joey Davis who would come in and take over 174 and Mark Martin jump up to 197 like Heflin did a couple years ago. Martin's dad has stated on Ohiowrestling.net that Martin was promised when recruited to grow into at least 184, or possibly 197 and under this scenario he'd get his wish.

Another dream scenario of mine would he Martin making the same jump, Bo Jordan bumping to 174, and cousin Isaac Jordan come in and man 165. That wouldn't be too shabby... :) ha.

Hell why stop there? How bout Martin bump to 197, Davis transfer into 174, Bo stay at 165, and Isaac transfer in and cut to 157..? Missouri is transferring in players by the bus load,why not OSU??

Whose coming with me? (Jerry McGuire style)

125: Nate Tomasello

133: Johnnie DiJulius

141: Hunter Stieber

149: Micah Jordan

157: Isaac Jordan

165: Bo Jordan

174: Joey Davis

184: Kenny Courts

197: Mark Martin

HWY: Thomas Haines (hopefully)

OR Nick Tavenello

Redshirts: Snyder(Olympic), Myles Martin, Ke'Shawn Hayes, Kollin Moore, Jose Rodriguez(unless kept on for 125/133 much needed depth)

* How sweet would the Jordan murderers row be!? C'mon Jordan's... Make it happen! (Tongue in cheek)

* being that Snyder and Mark Hall are close and friends as we've seen recently on Twitter, I wonder if the olympic shirt taken by Snyder could entice Hall to consider OSU even more with Snyder being now just a sophomore when shall arrives on campus as a freshman? A lot of daydreaming with this post I know!

Anyone know how heavy a HWY Thomas Haines is? Wondering if he cutting to 197 was even an option ?

Edited by Aviator12

This would be a huge benefit for ohio state if he redshirts and makes the team.  Who was the last guy to make the olympic team off of an olympic redshirt?  Having somebody do that would have to be huge for the big time recruits coming up who also have olympic aspirations.

If he redshirts and doesn't make the team, it would probably be a net negative, since it is one less year that they have him in the lineup with Jordan and Tomassello.  

Snyder is in a unique position that he doesn't really need an Olympic redshirt because he has a regular one to burn. They will certainly file for the Olympic because of his qualifications, and it keeps his regular redshirt available if he is injured in the future and unable to compete.

I don't know if I would say it benefited him during college. He took an Oly Redshirt during the 07-08 season. So at that point he had already gone 3,2,1 in college. Oly Redshirt 07-08, Ncaa champ in 08-09. Now he then won a world silver medal in 2009 though. So that Oly redshirt year may have helped him out for that.

Good point. I got the year wrong. I thought it was 3, 2, Oly.

Being the forever optimist/obvious OSU homer that I am.... I'm hoping this opens up another door opportunity for a key transfer to come in like Blaise Butler to Missouri.

The obvious candidate I'd hope to make the move would be Joey Davis who would come in and take over 174 and Mark Martin jump up to 197 like Heflin did a couple years ago. Martin's dad has stated on Ohiowrestling.net that Martin was promised when recruited to grow into at least 184, or possibly 197 and under this scenario he'd get his wish.

Another dream scenario of mine would he Martin making the same jump, Bo Jordan bumping to 174, and cousin Isaac Jordan come in and man 165. That wouldn't be too shabby... :) ha.

Hell why stop there? How bout Martin bump to 197, Davis transfer into 174, Bo stay at 165, and Isaac transfer in and cut to 157..? Missouri is transferring in players by the bus load,why not OSU??

OR Nick Tavenello

Redshirts: Snyder(Olympic), Myles Martin, Ke'Shawn Hayes, Kollin Moore, Jose Rodriguez(unless kept on for 125/133 much needed depth)

* How sweet would the Jordan murderers row be!? C'mon Jordan's... Make it happen! (Tongue in cheek)

* being that Snyder and Mark Hall are close and friends as we've seen recently on Twitter, I wonder if the olympic shirt taken by Snyder could entice Hall to consider OSU even more with Snyder being now just a sophomore when shall arrives on campus as a freshman? A lot of daydreaming with this post I know!

Anyone know how heavy a HWY Thomas Haines is? Wondering if he cutting to 197 was even an option ?

Great post. I didn't know Snyder and Hall were friends. Myles Martin and Mark Hall always seem to have some bad blood, I could be wrong, it's a "from afar" observation. 

OR Nick Tavenello

Dumb post

Snyder is in a unique position that he doesn't really need an Olympic redshirt because he has a regular one to burn. They will certainly file for the Olympic because of his qualifications, and it keeps his regular redshirt available if he is injured in the future and unable to compete.

Kid is delusional if he thinks he's making the Olympics in 2016.

If the athlete has a regular redshirt to burn, wouldn't it just count as a regular redshirt? I thought Oly. RS was only used if they met the qualifications AND had already used their RS. Just saying that if used it next season, it's not like he'd have a regular RS to burn later if he wanted (though doubtful).

Kid is delusional if he thinks he's making the Olympics in 2016.

Former Junior World Champ beats the reigning Olympic Champ to win Nationals and is somehow delusional about his chances to make the Olympic team? Hmmmmm.....

Edited by tec87

Former Junior World Champ beats the reigning Olympic Champ to win Nationals and is somehow delusional about his chances to make the Olympic team? Hmmmmm.....

Gadson gave a blueprint.  Varner didn't follow it.

I sometimes wonder if people on here are really wrestling fans?   or fans of a wrestling team?   Not that either is bad but man just because a fan is a fan of a team doen't mean they are bad people?

OR Nick Tavenello

Why stop there? Have Brewer come in at 133, and Imar at 157 too ;).

We should wait for WTT to see how Kyle fares in the finals before passing our views. Kyle may be against Varner or Kyle's teammate JD Bergman in the finals - both are tough to defend against.

Edited by Buckeyebison