Not sure about DT over taking Kyle Dake. But can't wait to watch. Thing is Dake has a win over Tsargush, and DT got handled pretty easy by him (twice I think). I know I posted this on another tread but given DT's lanky frame, I just wonder if he could bulk up to 86Kg. I know he uses his lankiness, as a way to dominate, but we have such a wealth of talent at 74Kg. I am just wondering. Also with Ed Ruth signing with Bellator, I not sure how that works out for him regarding this year's World's and the 2016 Olympics.

We'll see, and I'm a huge Taylor fan. He's always been close to Dake, but until he actually beats him ...

Im not a fan and hope he looses every match, its the way he celebrates at the end that makes me dislike him.  I don't see any other wrestler do what he does when he wins.

The Champ has to be the favorite here, especially since he's already sitting in the WTT finals.

But, oh yeah, the Magicman is always dangerous, and Dake looked like an animal (and totally healthy) at his regional, and of course, can't count out Andrew in any match Should I even mention Alex too?.

74kg is just loaded with American studs.

I love Taylor, one of my favorites.   But like with Metcalf, one cannot take too much from these exhibitions.   USA always impresses in the meaningless event, this time out being no different.   When the chips are down, and everyone's playing with real money, USA is down right anemic in their result.   

Taylor has distinguished himself as the clear #2 in the USA, and he has pushed Burroughs to the brink, but until he gets it done when it actually matters, the jury is still out. 

Think he beats everyone at WTT and wrestlers JB looses 2out 3, now he will have confidence going in this tournament.  I think he over takes Dake on conditioning ?

What do you guys think?

doubt dake will have conditioning issues.

Edited by gutfirst

I'm not trying to count out Dake or anything and certainly not trying to hang a fantasy loss on him but how do we really know how close Dake is back to his usual self? Went from a broken hand, to a broken ankle or something with his ankle, and outside of his regional win, hasn't really collided with the top compeition in the country at 74kg in well over a year.  I hope he is 100% and the Dake of old because it certainly makes the weight class that much better.

I am not as optimistic on DT based on his performance. Lopez gassed. Taylor shocked him on the whistle. That's the kind of thing I don't think happens twice. The scramble at the end of the first period is exactly how Tsargush dismantled DT. Meanwhile his antics at the end were way out of proportion, compare that to Snyder. 

With 2:07 on the clock in the second the Lopez all but gave up. Taylor gets the single takes him down for four and Taylor turns him but t eye it looked like Lopez turned himself. He could barely stand up. At 1:31 snaps him down and Lopez practically fell through the mat. 

I am not as optimistic on DT based on his performance. Lopez gassed. Taylor shocked him on the whistle. That's the kind of thing I don't think happens twice. The scramble at the end of the first period is exactly how Tsargush dismantled DT. Meanwhile his antics at the end were way out of proportion, compare that to Snyder. 

With 2:07 on the clock in the second the Lopez all but gave up. Taylor gets the single takes him down for four and Taylor turns him but t eye it looked like Lopez turned himself. He could barely stand up. At 1:31 snaps him down and Lopez practically fell through the mat. 

Lopez scored virtually all his points off of one sequence - after being down 6-0 on Taylor scoring 4 more points after the initial sequence you dismissed, but the match was not impressive for Taylor.

Some people see what they want to see...

I love Taylor, one of my favorites.   But like with Metcalf, one cannot take too much from these exhibitions.   USA always impresses in the meaningless event, this time out being no different.   When the chips are down, and everyone's playing with real money, USA is down right anemic in their result.   

Taylor has distinguished himself as the clear #2 in the USA, and he has pushed Burroughs to the brink, but until he gets it done when it actually matters, the jury is still out. 

Right. I'm a huge fan of David Taylor and am happy that he won yesterday, but trying to keep in mind that it was a goodwill/exhibition match. And though Lopez is a highly talented and accomplished wrestler, the guy is around Cael's age and maybe past his prime. 

I would absolutely love to see DT one day win a world championship, as I believe he is capable, but right now he has a lot to prove just in his own country. Best of luck to him in the WTT.

Wait, people don't like David Taylor because he flaps his arms or does the raise the roof thing? I mean, it's cool to root for KD or Burroughs if you're more partial to them, but to actually dislike DT seems like a real reach. Guilt by association perhaps? People are anti-Penn State, so they have to be anti DT? 

One of the most likable wrestlers on the planet. Good head on his shoulders, great family, big ears ... I mean, if the minor post-match antics make you dislike someone, try unbunching your britches. 

Just my two cents, which I know you didn't ask for. 

What this sport needs is a few heels. A few people only a mother could love.  Unfortunately, everyone is likable.  Metcalf used to be easy to hate and then he ruined it all by revealing his true personality.   He also took some lumps and worked through a lot of adversity.  Now he is a crowd favorite.

Lopez scored virtually all his points in one sequence where he illustrated that DT is still vulnerable in scrambles vs the best wrestlers in the world. Then Lopez gassed. I think DT is a tremendous wrestler, don't get me wrong. He also comes off in the flo documentary as a humble guy. I'm just surprised he can't keep better position against the very best and just that fact alone persuaded me he's going to lose to Dake probably and JB almost surely.

I think it's due to the Penn State thing.  I like DT and he's a lot of fun to watch, but there is an undercurrent of wanting to root against him because of some of the Penn State fans.

To be fair, I'm sure a bunch of Penn State fans feel the same way about Iowa fans and the wrestlers associated therein.

We have heels, the thing is, a lot of those heel-types aren't exactly making World & Olympic teams. Take 74kg -- Burroughs, Taylor, Dake, Caldwell, Howe ... all are extremely likable people off the mat. Gracious to fans. I think while a "heel" makes good drama, we, as a sport, are in a situation where the good people are best served to carry the torch for the sport with the media -- guys like Burroughs and Taylor are great for marketability beyond our own fanbase, too!