Sign in to follow this  
BraunMann

Georgi Gogaev

He will be a senior next year. Look for him to challenge Gadisov. He is a cut down small heavyweight and is a bad match up for the smaller Gads. Could easily go heavy but Gatsalov will probably still able to handle him.  

Edited by PRyan2012

He looked humungous at JR Worlds (96kg) last year.

i was matside. he also looked, well, not 20 years old. for whatever that's worth. 

Husker, what is the benefit of Russians lying about their ages? To win more cadet/Junior medals? I can't recall if it was you insinuating it, but I remember someone saying Sadulaev was "lying" about his age.

I’m not “calling you out” on this, however, if you do believe that these guys are lying to gain some benefit, I’m curious to hear why.

I understand the concept in baseball, in order to attract teams into drafting a guy, however in wrestling it makes 0 sense.

Husker, what is the benefit of Russians lying about their ages? To win more cadet/Junior medals? I can't recall if it was you insinuating it, but I remember someone saying Sadulaev was "lying" about his age.

I’m not “calling you out” on this, however, if you do believe that these guys are lying to gain some benefit, I’m curious to hear why.

I understand the concept in baseball, in order to attract teams into drafting a guy, however in wrestling it makes 0 sense.

Read it -> http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/9669-russian-nationals-live-stream/page-3

Yes the benefit is more age class medals. I think it's the athletes clubs more than the national federation that want to get ahead. It's like the Cubans throwing matches- once one or two guys do it everyone's a suspect even if most guys are legit.

I wonder if Gogaev will be pressured to go heavy because the Russians are so weak at that weight.

Very interesting-I never would have thought of the state funding. If it was a case of just doing it to win medals, I'd be skeptical (since those medals don't mean as much), but that makes a ton of sense. 

Thanks for sharing.