Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Best Pound for Pound

At this moment, it's Logan Stieber. He's destroying everyone he wrestles. He reduced a very tough McCormick (Mizzou) to simply killing himself not to get pinned. Not as slick as Oliver. Doesn't have three titles like Dake. But his leg attacks are extraordinarily effective and his top wrestling is the best in the country (unless your goal is to simply hang on....then your favorite is Dake.) He's the best pure wrestler in the college ranks esp. if you take into account pure dominance as well as freestyle accomplishments. I also think he's the one wrestler that can win Gold in 2016.

My opinion, of course.

But a lot of you are selling him short. He's not 5th, 4th or "tied with Oliver." He's a defending national champ who may also be the most improved wrestler in the country.

At this moment, it's Logan Stieber. He's destroying everyone he wrestles. He reduced a very tough McCormick (Mizzou) to simply killing himself not to get pinned. Not as slick as Oliver. Doesn't have three titles like Dake. But his leg attacks are extraordinarily effective and his top wrestling is the best in the country (unless your goal is to simply hang on....then your favorite is Dake.) He's the best pure wrestler in the college ranks esp. if you take into account pure dominance as well as freestyle accomplishments. I also think he's the one wrestler that can win Gold in 2016.

My opinion, of course.

But a lot of you are selling him short. He's not 5th, 4th or "tied with Oliver." He's a defending national champ who may also be the most improved wrestler in the country.

I hope by this you mean the only one within the p4p rankings and not in the US in general. Im fairly sure you do, I just want to make sure you are not counting out JB already ;)

Agree about the one on the left.

Yes, I meant P4P in college.

Not so much that I know he is as much as I think he's being overlooked by others due to flawed logic.

Sure, but I could legitimately argue Dake, Ruth, Taylor, JO and McDonough ahead of him. It's pretty subjective, and the criteria of destroying competition doesn't always hold up as in Dake/Taylor comparisons.

Logan got med. redshirt as a frosh. He is a 3rd year soph.

Historically speaking, OldSkool142 comes out of the wood work to bring up Stieber being a middle school redshirt who only wins due to age advantage, so pay him no mind... Some sort of weird local grudge/jealousy.

I agree. I've felt that Logan was the most improved NCAA champ from last year after watching him closely over the summer and his wrestling so far this year has surpassed even those expectations. He has improved in every category: crisper takedowns to lightning-fast finishes, best pinner in the country this year, arguably as good as Dake on top as a rider, unstoppable from bottom, and he is now the best chain wrestler in the country. He also appears to have gained enough size to make 133 a perfect weight for him, and it's hard to know if his conditioning has improved or not because so few of his matches are competitive or go the full seven.

Stieber vs. Ramos may end up being the best match of the year this year. From what I've seen so far, Ramos has also improved very significantly. Although I haven't seen all his matches, I have yet to see him get out of position this year despite a very aggressive pace, and he is hitting a higher percentage of his moves for points. Like Stieber, he also appears to have matured a little more physically. The matchup reminds me of my all-time favorite college rivalry, Fried vs. Brands, pitting a nearly technically perfect style with a lot of offensive variety from one of Ohio's all-time best with a prototypical Gable-style hammer. I think the gap is bigger between Stieber and Ramos than it was between Fried and Brands, but like Fried vs. Brands, I think the rivalry could become the best rivalry in college this year and next.

I agree on Stieber as best p4p. Some are saying he got lucky last year, but if you watch the match, he out wrestled JO. They keep saying at tOSU that success is done by "living right," whatever that is, Stieber is doing it. He is a machine and his riding is incredible. Now, I would have thought that at some point his peers would catch up to him as he might be mature for his age, but I am wrong as he is putting some distance between himself and his peers. This kid is the real deal.

At the beginning of the season i would have agreed with Stieber being #4 or #5 but at this point i have to agree that Stieber needs to be at the top of that list. The guy is just mashing the competition. He looks soooo much better than last year and that is really scary being that he is the reigning national champ who beat JO last year. Dake is so good but he just doesnt destroy people like Stieber does. Dake beats his opponents, Stieber DESTROYS his opponents. Its like he wants to make u pay dearly for even stepping on the mat with him. And he does....make u PAY!

I mean really, who gives a ****e about his age. He cannot help what his parents did with their decisions for him. You see it a lot that kids get held back, and they flame out early. From what I see is that Stieber is just getting better. Do you really pay attention to the age of college foorball players? This kid is a talent and a gamer.

Guest Hammerlock3

the issue of age is obvious, if Dake was held back he would be a sophomore and his constant stalling wouldn't be as offensive.

At the beginning of the season i would have agreed with Stieber being #4 or #5 but at this point i have to agree that Stieber needs to be at the top of that list. The guy is just mashing the competition. He looks soooo much better than last year and that is really scary being that he is the reigning national champ who beat JO last year. Dake is so good but he just doesnt destroy people like Stieber does. Dake beats his opponents, Stieber DESTROYS his opponents. Its like he wants to make u pay dearly for even stepping on the mat with him. And he does....make u PAY!

Let's slow our roll until we see Ramos, okay?