HokieHWT

Dieringer stomps Davis

I was just having some fun...geez you guys can't take a joke. I think Davis, in the right room, would make the finals at 165. The problem it couldn't be done in one season, he would need at least two. The first to get use to the DI training and schedule demands, and the second to scout the top guys.

It is hard to say what the result in folk would be although very safe to say Dieringer wins easily.  Davis never was even close to scoring but by the same token, Davis was no easy roll for Dieringer on his feet.  Davis stayed in pretty good position and I thought wrestled a decent(although defensive) match.  The freestyle scoring from top is what really opened that match up.  As pointed out, Dieringer made everyone in DI look fairly easy to take down.

I didn't think Davis had a bad showing, actually. Gave up a couple of turns, which is be to expected when you are that inexperieced in freestyle and wrestling a Junior World  medalist. Dieringer only had 2 takedowns, I think, and was being much more defensive than I'm used to seeing.

Having said that, Davis looked to have a signifigant size advantage on Dieringer, as well. I'm guessing in the 10-15 lb range.

Yes, yes, we know - it's true. D1 is superior. Without a shadow of a doubt, D1 is completely superior to D2, D3, NAIA, etc. No question it's the best division.

Now, c'mon, let's stop trying to use this fact to minimalize non-D1 wrestlers.

Whatever their division, these guys are working hard in their wrestling career and some may turn out to be Dlagnev's or Emmitt Willson's, etc.

Categorically claiming non-D1 wrestlers as not able to "run with the big boys" isn't consistent with our efforts to save and support wrestling.

Edited by rstrong

I'm not a "keyboard bully" and in no way am I attempting to start or take part in a pissing contest. That being said, I do not understand how the comments in this thread diminish or berate any particular level of competition or how the sport is not being supported. Everyone on this board has wondered how Davis would do against DI competitors. It appears to me, based on the above comments, that Davis could be a serious competitor in DI.

I rely on this board for information about competitions and wrestlers that I am not familiar with. A post that simply says Deringer wins over Davis does not give much of a description of how close the match was or if one of the wrestlers dominated. After reading this thread my first thought was Davis might use the match as incentive to work even harder to improve and set a goal of beating D sometime down the road.

I don't want to berate things already discussed here, but socially correct commentary is more likely to damage the sport than honest descriptions of the competition and results. It is extremely difficult to compose readable and descriptive accounts of competiton and be Kumbayah at the same time.

Edited by Bloate

Hokie

Come on man thats such a troll post! Anyone watched can see it was Derringers closest match all year with a college kid and he didn't stomp him on feet! it was a very gut wresches and a great takedown by derringer-WHO IS REALLY GOOD- that changed the match! NO stomping !

Edited by cangemi

Didn't see the match, and I'm generally of the opinion that most d2,d3, and naia wrestlers would not do nearly so well at d1 level. There are exceptions, of course, Diagnev a prime example. No problem giving Davis respect for what he's accomplished.

My only gripe would be when people start talking about guys who've gone thru their careers at, say d2, winning 4 titles and not losing a match, like they are the equivalent of Cael or suggesting they have to be considered among the greatest etc. It is such a different arena. It would be like projecting a QB's success in Arena football to winning multiple Superbowls. Apples and oranges.

Didn't see the match, and I'm generally of the opinion that most d2,d3, and naia wrestlers would not do nearly so well at d1 level. There are exceptions, of course, Diagnev a prime example. No problem giving Davis respect for what he's accomplished.

My only gripe would be when people start talking about guys who've gone thru their careers at, say d2, winning 4 titles and not losing a match, like they are the equivalent of Cael or suggesting they have to be considered among the greatest etc. It is such a different arena. It would be like projecting a QB's success in Arena football to winning multiple Superbowls. Apples and oranges.

Rosie,

Can you just list some examples of these individuals claiming Cael like status to the undefeated 4 timers from D2?  

Can you tell us who these undefeated 4 timers are?  

Somehow I've missed these discussions and I'd like to catch up if you would be so kind as to share where I can find these ridiculous claims.    

Can you show me an example or quote of someone saying that an undefeated D-2 wrestler is equivalent to Cael? I must have missed those comments

Not so much lately, but Marcus Levesseur's name used to pop up from time to time in years past, when people were discussing the "greatest of all time." 

If you google his name and search on this forum you can find some, but a lot of LeVesseur's stuff was on the older forum. 

Marcus LeVesseur of Augsburg (Minn.) College is the only D-III wrestler to be an undefeated four-time NCAA champion, posting a 155-0 mark.

http://www.iamkidfresh.com/cultureorgy/marcus-levesseur-the-pride-of-minneapolis-fights-on/

What Marcus would accomplish at Augsburg would be a feat unprecedented by no other than Cael Sanderson of Iowa State, the first wrestler to finish his four years of eligibility undefeated and untied. Marcus would prove to be the second with a record of 296-0.>>

http://sterlingmn.com/?page_id=270

* The most accomplished collegiate wrestler in Minnesota’s illustrious history

* 4 x undefeated college national champion (155-0)

* Second college wrestler ever to finish his career unbeaten and untied

>>

http://m.ufcespanol.com/news/Marcus-LeVesseur-Get-Ready-for-The-Prospect

UFC debut this Tuesday in Fairfax, Virginia against Cody McKenzie, is the owner of one of the greatest runs ever recorded in college sports annals, having gone 155-0 with four Division III national wrestling titles for Augsburg College.

It’s a mind-boggling string of excellence (for reference, the only other United States collegiate wrestler to finish school with an unbeaten record is the legendary Cael Sanderson), one made even more stunning by the fact that LeVesseur also won four Minnesota state high school titles and scored a win over Ben Askren along the way. >>

from themat.com forum in past:

good point. i don't think sanderson would beat banach in folk either.

Really?

The only undefeated folkstyle guy ever who won (while still basically wrestling like a folkstyler) an Olympic title a couple years outta college?

Interesting...

Marcus LeVesseur was also undefeated and a four timer. >>

From a recent post on the forum someone stated Cael had a loss while RS...A loss is a loss redshirt or not...So is MarcusLeVesseur the only true undefeated wrestler in NCAA atleast wrestling 4 years? >>

——

cael may have ended his career more like jordan burroughs but he did not start his career like dake

officially based on the rules of his conference he can claim to be undefeated but the same rules didnt apply to levesseur or dake due to their conference rules.>>

———

Levesseur is the greatest college wrestler of all time, even better than Cael, because he pinned kids in 12 seconds?

Great find. That's a blast from the past, but even back in 2010 that post was considered stale. Posts about Levesseur were popping up all the time back on the old forum. His wins from high school (like over Askren) were often used as the greatest evidence that he belonged in the discussion with Askren, etc.>>

------

More recently Joey Davis' name seems to be in the discussion, though the recent lopsided loss to Dieringer may have cut that one short:

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20150317/college-wrestling-notre-dame-college-junior-joey-davis-after-winning-third-ncaa-title-i-want-to-be-a-legend-in-this-sport

“I want to be a legend in this sport,” said Davis, a junior 174-pounder who is now 110-0 in his college career. “I’m trying to be remembered. I feel I’m the best (174-pounder) in all divisions.”>>

>

>

In D-II, there’s no debate about Davis, who’s carving a career worthy of legendary status. Iowa State’s Cael Sanderson is the only D-I wrestler to be an undefeated four-time NCAA champion. He was 159-0 in his career.>>

Edited by rossel3

I recall some of the discussion re. Marcus was that he was cowardly for leaving Minnesota for Augsburg. There may have been other reasons but one he shared was he wanted to play football as well. I believe he broke all the Augsburg football records along the way. What a fun ride those 4 years must have been.

What fun is a forum with a "prove it" attitude.   Sometimes people want to vent a little?   Plus, if you live in an area with mostly D3 schools you do hear the comparisons often, not in writing or on forum but word of mouth.  I can't prove this though......