Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Memorial Day Fantasy Matchups

It's memorial day weekend so I'm not working and there's not a lot of wrestling to watch, so maybe we can fill the void with some fantasy match-ups. I'd really love to hear anyone's take on any of these (and if they are repeats, apologies). I'd love to hear other cross-generation match-ups as well.

Burroughs-B. Satiev

Burroughs-Monday

Burroughs-Schultz

Varner-Bill Scherr

Burroughs being the best guy of this generation, I wonder how he stacks up against some of the best from prior gens. 

Bill-Scherr and Varner interests me because both are tremendous wrestlers, both won world golds (Bill was 1985 world champ, Varner 2012 Olympic champ), both medaled in more than one world tournament, but neither seemed as consistently at the top as Burroughs. 

Burroughs beats them all. The depth and skill of wrestling increases every year.

I would expect him to tech Schultz and beat Monday. Maybe I am counting the Slay match for too much but Saitiev has been taken down by double legs many times in other matches. Saitiev tends to be very loose and give up takedowns early and tries to make it up scoring off scrambles. I think Burroughs is so good at his game and strategy it is hard to see anyone beating him. Tsargush could do it again. I think Geduev might have a chance, but I'm not sure. Dake and Taylor could. Saitiev is obviously a more diverse and overall more skilled wrestler, but Burroughs is way more athletic and has a near unstoppable move and knows how to win.

Karl Malone ... It didn't even occur to me.

Monday was amazing. He could score a thousand different ways. From 88 on he crushed Schultz very time as far as I know. Satiev's nine world titles don't lie but he lost fair and square to Slat and almost lost to Williams, both super solid double leg pros.

Wrestlers today are way better than they were in 88. Even watching matches in the early 90s, there is a huge difference in how fast and how skilled the wrestlers appear to me now.

Cue the old Dan Gable in the Olympics vs David Taylor as an 8th grader debate.

Bill Scherr would never lose to Varner. Bill was one of the most complete big man ever. I don't know if you're aware that Bill weighed about 202 in winning 4 world medals at 220. He did this after winning a world championship at 198 then moved up to allow his twin brother Jim to make our world and Olympic team. 

I'll not get into the 74kg debate as all those mentioned Schultz, Burroughs and Monday were fantastic champions. Regarding the 88 guys not being as good as today's wrestlers I'm afraid you're absolutely wrong. When I go through the line up I think the Monday/Burroughs would be a toss up with all the others going to the 88 team! Old school rules!!!

Wrestlers today are way better than they were in 88. Even watching matches in the early 90s, there is a huge difference in how fast and how skilled the wrestlers appear to me now.

Cue the old Dan Gable in the Olympics vs David Taylor as an 8th grader debate.

Stieber

edit: having trouble embedding the youtube video

https://youtu.be/5fTIQmGGp4E?t=38s

Edited by GranbyTroll

Heelpick it's definitely not going to solve world peace or anything but I was bored and had nothing to do. I recently watched a few of the Schultz - Monday matches and wondered if JB could beat either or both those guys. What's a guy to do?

I think either Saitiev beats JB more often then not, but have already argued about it too much in the past to get into it now.

Other good fantasy matchups:

The late great Kudukov vs one of the Brands brothers

Gatsalov vs Khadartsev

Sadulaev vs Gadisov (open to the public) or Gayzumov

Karelin vs Lopez

Saitiev vs Saitiev

Beloglazov vs Jordanov

Depends which set of rules you use. schultz, saitiev, monday were all great in the par terre position. Burroughs has won all his titles with just being the best at takedowns. Monday at his peak would be an athletic match for Burroughs. He was way past his prime when he wrestled Saitiev. Tell me who since 1988 has been better than John Smith? The 1972, 1988, and 1992 teams for the USA were very good. Technical skills in neutral have improved, because they no longer let wrestlers do much par terre. The guys back then would have gotten better in neutral if they didn't have to worry about par terre skills.

I vote for 20 seconds as well. Right now if you don't go into a turn pretty much immediately after a take down they stand you up. Meanwhile they already made it more exciting with the push out rule, they've done plenty to jazz it right up.

I wish we had a high quality wrestling video game so we could run some of these matches for fun.  Those are 4 guys I would never bet against, but I think that Schultz, Saitiev, and Monday were all substantially better in tie-ups and par-terre than Jordan is right now.  The fact that he is working with Andy Bisek, and improving drastically in those positions shows how determined he is to keep improving and erase all doubt about who was the best in their prime.  More and more impressed with Burroughs everyday.