Sign in to follow this  
LemonPie

UWW Cadet- 54 KG

Who has Gomez lost to lately? That's not a knock on him, just pure information seeking. I think he only had one loss this high school season, but not sure what freestyle he's been doing other than Iowa against the World.

Lost to Jack Mueller at Jr US Open and placed 4th. His other loss was to a college guy (Barlow McGhee- Mizzou)

That's right, forgot he was at JRs. Mueller is a tough kid, both folk and free. Gomez might need to grow into this weight. So might Lee to be honest, but he's such a good wrestler it might not matter at the Cadet level.

Yeah... I'm not giving Gomez or Olivas much of a chance, but would like to see them wrestle each other. Fix might have a shot even though he got teched by Lee a couple years ago. He looked big at JRs and you have to be impressed with his win over Micic

Gomez I agree might not have much of a chance to win this weight, but then he also loves feeding on that kind of stuff haha. Olivas is an interesting case though. He has tons of overseas experience for someone his age. He's wrestled 2x at Cadet Worlds, wrestled in the youth Olympic games, and just wrestled both styles at Junior Pan Ams. If his body looks right, I would think an Olivas-Lee final is more likely than Fix-Lee. All depends on the bracket of course, but I know one thing for sure: the winner of this weight will be a solid threat to win a gold medal this year in Sarajevo.

First, this is awesome because it means there will be some sick semi-final and possibly even quarter final matches. Lee, Fix and Olivas are all former cadet world team members. Now if Suriano and Yianni enter this will be just about the greatest weight class I've ever seen.

Either way, if Lee wins this it will cement him in my mind as not human. As it stands Fix blew my mind and for the first time I thought maybe this guy could take Lee. And I saw the Lee-Fix matches from 2013.

The junior nationals were interesting at 54kg. Mueller teched Gomez 11-0 in the quarters. Then Micic teched Mueller 13-0 in the semis. Then Fix teched Micic 10-0 in the finals. But it doesn't end there. Mueller loses 10-8 to McGhee in the semis of the consis. McGhee wrestles Gomez for 3rd-4th and wins 6-3 so Gomez is 4th. Mueller ends up winning by injury to take 5th. 

Of all those matches I only saw the finals and from what I saw Fix just destroyed Micic. Not even close. In fact, he was the first guy I saw who made me wonder if Lee was going to beat him. I saw the Lee-Fix match in 2013 and Lee ran over Fix but they were in eighth grade then. It's a whole different world.

So what about Lee? This tournament is everything for Lee at this stage. He's ranked number one in the nation at 120 and is obviously the man to beat. But he hasn't wrestled any of the top guys at 120 in a long time. He won cadet worlds last year at 50kg while Fix was already at 54kg (he won cadet nationals there). 

Lee hasn't beaten the top guys at 54kg recently enough for it to mean a lot. People are going to improve and physically mature so much between 8th and 10th grade. 

Big Time Fan: I don't agree with the perspective that any one tournament makes any wrestler or is everything…  Lee won Iron Man, PowerAde and another State title and all at 120.  His closest match of the season this year was against the future big school Ohio State Champ at the Iron Man and he beat him 13-3.  Some say he's not the biggest 120, but I wouldn't tell any of his opponents that from the past year.  No event or tournament is everything: I don't think Petry technical falling Fix at the Junior Duals or Fix losing to Suriano at WNO or Yianni at the Super 32 this past summer hurt Fix at the US Open this year nor do I think that Yianni losing to Fix at FLO means anything or everything other than they are all good wrestlers, working very hard and all have the ability to win on any given day especially in freestyle when one mistake can lead to a quick technical fall.  I'm certain that whomever wins this weight will represent us well and the guys that don't' win, (only one can) will be ready to go at the next event and I wouldn't bet against any of them, because while I am certain it will mean everything to each of them to win on that day, it means nothing when they match up at the very next event.  It's exciting for United States wrestling to have so many high quality wrestlers coming up in the pipeline.  

Crap I didn't know that. What weight class? It's going to be a really great tournament.

2013. As you can see he beat Olivas in his pool at 42kg in Freestyle, and then beat Brent Jones of Minnesota in the final.

103  CADE OLIVAS   CALIFORNIA  133 1  4 TF 13-2 291 5      X 5-10 409   7      X 6-8                                                                   105  KADEN GFELLER   OKLAHOMA  134 7      X 1.0 7-10 291 3  3 D 10-5 408 1  5 F 2:29 484 9  3 D 10-8                              134 7      1 =>                   2 107  AUSTIN GOMEZ   ILLINOIS  134 5  3 D 10-7 292 9      4 TF 14-4 409 3  3 D 8-6 485 11  4 TF 13-3                              134 5  3 =>                   1 109  DREW MATTIN   OHIO  135 11      5 F 5:36 292 7  X 4-14 BYE --  0 -- 484   5      X 8-10                              X                   3

Big Time Fan: I don't agree with the perspective that any one tournament makes any wrestler or is everything…  Lee won Iron Man, PowerAde and another State title and all at 120.  His closest match of the season this year was against the future big school Ohio State Champ at the Iron Man and he beat him 13-3.  Some say he's not the biggest 120, but I wouldn't tell any of his opponents that from the past year.  No event or tournament is everything: I don't think Petry technical falling Fix at the Junior Duals or Fix losing to Suriano at WNO or Yianni at the Super 32 this past summer hurt Fix at the US Open this year nor do I think that Yianni losing to Fix at FLO means anything or everything other than they are all good wrestlers, working very hard and all have the ability to win on any given day especially in freestyle when one mistake can lead to a quick technical fall.  I'm certain that whomever wins this weight will represent us well and the guys that don't' win, (only one can) will be ready to go at the next event and I wouldn't bet against any of them, because while I am certain it will mean everything to each of them to win on that day, it means nothing when they match up at the very next event.  It's exciting for United States wrestling to have so many high quality wrestlers coming up in the pipeline.  

Good point. I can't argue with it. It doesn't mean everything at all and if he loses it doesn't mean he won't still be one of the greatest. So what did I mean? I meant that if he does win it it will mean he's beaten everyone who matters. But even then you are correct that that's not going to be the end of the story. These guys are so young and have so much wrestling in their future. 

2013. As you can see he beat Olivas in his pool at 42kg in Freestyle, and then beat Brent Jones of Minnesota in the final.

103  CADE OLIVAS   CALIFORNIA  133 1  4 TF 13-2 291 5      X 5-10 409   7      X 6-8                                                                   105  KADEN GFELLER   OKLAHOMA  134 7      X 1.0 7-10 291 3  3 D 10-5 408 1  5 F 2:29 484 9  3 D 10-8                              134 7      1 =>                   2 107  AUSTIN GOMEZ   ILLINOIS  134 5  3 D 10-7 292 9      4 TF 14-4 409 3  3 D 8-6 485 11  4 TF 13-3                              134 5  3 =>                   1 109  DREW MATTIN   OHIO  135 11      5 F 5:36 292 7  X 4-14 BYE --  0 -- 484   5      X 8-10                              X                   3

Totally. I was only thinking of 2014 and wasn't familiar with 2013, but right you are.

The way Daton Fix wrestled at Juniors one would normally expect him to be favored at Cadets, but then you start to think about Spencer Lee and it doesn't look so certain for Fix. I can't pick against Spencer Lee, personally. Should be great. 

TBar1977, Fix really crushed it at Juniors. The question I have is did he really open up and break away from the pack or is the junior field just that good. As Bandit pointed out Fix got wrecked by Petry (great match, hadn't seen it, but it's out there) and had close losses to Suriano and Yianni. So what's going on, Fix was trampling so many top guys. I was so impressed.

Guest Kingsland

TBar1977, Fix really crushed it at Juniors. The question I have is did he really open up and break away from the pack or is the junior field just that good. As Bandit pointed out Fix got wrecked by Petry (great match, hadn't seen it, but it's out there) and had close losses to Suriano and Yianni. So what's going on, Fix was trampling so many top guys. I was so impressed.

I don't think Fix started wrestling until 5th grade (could be wrong), but if that's the case his exceptional performance at Jr.'s could be indicative of a kid whose finally starting to maximize his potential. 

It would be hard for me to believe that Fix could do this in the summer after his 6th grade year (1.5 years of wrestling)

2011 USAW Schoolboy Duals - Freestyle (06/08 - 06/12/2011)

84 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma Red F) over Eric Hong (Pennsylvania Blue F) Dec 1-4,4-2,3-0

84 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma Red F) over Jace Tilley (Utah F) Dec 6-0,4-0

84 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma Red F) over Hunter Marko (Team Wisconsin F) Dec 1-3,6-0,6-3

84 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma Red F) over Brandon Barbella (Team NJ F) Dec 9-8,6-5

84 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma Red F) over Michael Wisniewski (New York F) TF 6-0,7-0

84 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma Red F) over Ben Freeman (Michigan 1 F) TF 7-0,7-0

84 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma Red F) over TK MEGONIGAL (Team Virginia F) Dec 3-1,6-0

84 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma Red F) over Nick Smith (Washington F) TF 8-0,6-0

84 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma Red F) over Quentin Hovis (Arizona F) TF 6-0,8-2

84 - Daton Fix (Oklahoma Red F) over Chad Red (Indiana Gold F) Dec 8-3,6-0

Edited by LemonPie

Guest Kingsland

It's scary to think that he's got two more years of high school to keep developing.

Guest Kingsland

1. Lee 2. Fix 3.Olivas 4.Gomez. I feel like Gomez could take third over Olivas, but neither are touching Fix or Lee.