Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Kyle Dake not Happy

I'm not going to jump in on the discussion of the bye to the finals discussion but about the wild cards, I don't doubt that there is the potential for some subjective reasoning for picking one guy over another but I have to ask, did that person actually apply for a wildcard spot? We always see debates on here every year about the wildcards and why did so and so get it and not this guy? But a wildcard can only be given to someone who actually applied for one.  Maybe he knows something we don't as far as if Enock applied or not but there is never a list published of the people who applied.

To be honest, I'd rather them have the opens be six separate regional events (all the same weekend, to prevent one wrestler from going clear across the country to wrestle in multiple regionals), winners advance, then a national LCQ for wrestlers who finished within a certain range (say, 2nd to 4th at each regional, top three from that advance), and qualifiers make it to the World Team Trials/US National Championships. Seems a bit ridiculous for somebody to win the grueling open in one or two days, and then beat perhaps the same guy they just beat in the finals best-of-three a month later. As far as byes, I have no problem with giving Burroughs (the world medalist at that weight most recently) a bye to the finals (even bypassing the regional/LCQ rounds), but they should be tiered...say, top ten in the world in the past year instead gets a bye to the semis rather than the finals.

Ideally, there would be a true computerized World Ranking, and they could just take from that, but first U-Quad needs to get their act together regarding mandatory reporting of results, and tying them to license number so we don't have a Brent Metcalf for events in the US, a Brent Metcalv for events in Russia, and a Brint Metcalf for events in god knows where, all meaning the same person.

while not perfect I was able to get the following info out of Brandon Slay via twitter:

some: Escobedo, Hutter, McKenna, Kennedy, Fay, C. Perry, Foster, Kilgore, Michalak, Francios, Coon, & top 3 at 2015 NCAA.

most of those eligible besides top 3 from NCAA applied. Most NCAA guys didn't. IMAR did.

Our National Coach Bruce Burnett discussed it with our National staff & HP Director and decided.

Progress...

I think Slay is coming around to advocating greater transparency.  Encouraged people to reach out to him on Twitter or via his contact info below the he posted and encouraged people to contact him with questions.

"if you ever want to know anything, email me: bslay@usawrestling.org or call 719-598-8181"

My respect level for this guy just shot through the roof (not that it was low to begin with).  Great to see an offer like this from a guy in his position......

Edited by Angry_Fish

In light of the fifa scandal, usaw needs to be extra careful to be above board in everything. Make public the list of athletes that applied for wildcards and the list of this selected and criteria for why someone was chosen or not.

It's funny how a little boardroom chatter and a bunch of Twitter messages gets Slay to turn around like a well-greased weathervane. One day he's chastising Dake, the next day he's all about being open.

Slay is a tool

Totally disagree.  I took him up on his offer and had some great communication with him today.  Coudln't have been nicer and has totally opened the door for communication with the fans.  How could that possibly be a bad thing? 

can you say CRY BABY ?

(if i found it, im pretty sure he knew where to look)

World Team Trials – June 12-14, 2015 in Madison, WI (all weights)
ï‚· Wrestlers who meet the following criteria will qualify for the World Team Trials:
1. Top 5 placers per weight class from 2015 U.S. Freestyle Open Championships
2. Champion of the Freestyle 2015 Northern Plains Regional (Senior)
3. Champion of the Freestyle 2015 Northeast Regional (Senior)
4. Up to one wildcard per weight may be selected by the National Freestyle Head Coach with approval of the Freestyle Sport Wildcard Subcommittee. See the wildcard selection procedure below.

ï‚· Automatic Berth to the Final Wrestle-Off: athletes who medaled in the 2014 Senior World Championships at the weight being contested will receive an automatic berth to the Final Wrestle-Off. In weights without a 2014 Senior World Championship medalist, the 2015 U.S. Open champion will receive automatic berth to the Final Wrestle-Off at that respective weight. If no athlete in the 2015 World Team Trials meets either of the criteria above, then the finals of the Trials Tournament will decide the 2015 World Team member in a best-of-three series.

ï‚· Wildcard Selection Procedure: The National Freestyle Coach may recommend an individual(s) based on competitive readiness to a three person Wildcard Subcommittee. The Committee will approve a wildcard nominee. The Freestyle Sport Wildcard Subcommittee will consist of the Freestyle Sport Committee Chair (or their designee) and two additional persons from the Freestyle Sport Committee designated by the Chair.

ï‚· The event will be conducted in a one-day format using line bracketing. If needed, byes will be placed with seeded wrestlers, in order of seed. The World Team Trials qualifiers will wrestle in a Trials Tournament in the morning. The winner of the Trials Tournament will challenge the wrestler who has earned automatic berth to the Final Wrestle-Off in a best of three series in the evening. If no wrestler has earned automatic berth to the final wrestle off, the finals of the Trials Tournament will decide the 2015 World Team member in a best-of-three series.

ï‚· True Third: If the second-place finisher from the Trials Tournament has not wrestled the third place finisher from the Trials Tournament, then they will wrestle one match during the Final Wrestle-Off session to determine a true third place for ranking on the National Team.