Sign in to follow this  
treep2000

Zahid Valencia

Just saw the USA Wrestling article/flash that Zahid won Gold in Turkey.  Same bracket as a past hype-filled guy in Bo Nickal, who I think won it last year.  

His brother Anthony has been getting a ton of the hype, but I thinking Zahid made a statement with his Gold.  

1.) It's his first international tourney, and he won it.

2.) He teched the guy who beat Nickal. 

So... Congrats to Zahid.  The future of USA wrestling is super bright with "kids" like Zahid, Anthony Valencia, Mark Hall, Kyle Snyder, etc. etc. etc.

Thoughts?  

Watched some of the matches. Bo looked a bit small and had gas tank issues. Still had some good attacks on his feet. Had 11-2 lead on guy from Turkey and only won 12-10, then a 3-0 lead against Kaz after the first period and lost 12-6.

Valencia looked awesome

Edited by LemonPie

What I find absolutely stunning about Zahid is his prodigious growth. He was 50 pounds lighter a year ago or something like that. He not only leapfrogged older bro but didn't lose a step.

Funny because they did an interview and Anthony said he beats little brother but Zahid just beat the guy that beat Bo Nicols and Bo owns Mark Hall. I wonder if after Zahid RS he pulls a DT and makes finals 4 times and only couple loses. After all he is the 2nd Ironman champ DT being 1st

On the Mark Hall topic... I "think" that his age and physical maturity had held him back against the top dogs he faced, and when he lost in the past... I.e. Nickal, etc.  Granted, he was held back too... yadda yadda yadda... 

Too many folks on this forum do not like the 'transitive property' argument, so until they face off (whoever they may be), let's just stick with the future being bright with a bunch of young 'uns coming up the ranks.  Both Valencia's are now considered world beaters to some degree, Hall has a Cadet World Championship, and is beating guys that beat other guys that beat other guys that are supposed to be World Beaters, Snyder just took down our own Olympic Champ and just beat the guy who got a World Bronze.   Those are just the heavier weights.

The lighter weights are filled with promise with Pico, Spencer Lee, Daton Fix, Cade Olivas, etc. etc. etc.

On the Mark Hall topic... I "think" that his age and physical maturity had held him back against the top dogs he faced, and when he lost in the past... I.e. Nickal, etc.  Granted, he was held back too... yadda yadda yadda... 

Too many folks on this forum do not like the 'transitive property' argument, so until they face off (whoever they may be), let's just stick with the future being bright with a bunch of young 'uns coming up the ranks.  Both Valencia's are now considered world beaters to some degree, Hall has a Cadet World Championship, and is beating guys that beat other guys that beat other guys that are supposed to be World Beaters, Snyder just took down our own Olympic Champ and just beat the guy who got a World Bronze.   Those are just the heavier weights.

The lighter weights are filled with promise with Pico, Spencer Lee, Daton Fix, Cade Olivas, etc. etc. etc.

Definitive post..... our future looks good.

Funny because they did an interview and Anthony said he beats little brother but Zahid just beat the guy that beat Bo Nicols and Bo owns Mark Hall. I wonder if after Zahid RS he pulls a DT and makes finals 4 times and only couple loses. After all he is the 2nd Ironman champ DT being 1st

David Taylor is not the first Ironman champ and Zahid is not the 2nd one.   

Did you mean Taylor is the first Taylor to win Ironman and Zahid is the 2nd Valencia to win it?  

And like Rosholt, I could see Zahid winning 3 titles in college.   

It's good to see so many young ones having international age group success. I won't read too much into it one way or the other. Some wrestlers will bloom later, others can burn out or get hurt. It does give a decent foundation to build on and hopefully some senior level medals in the near future.

David Taylor is not the first Ironman champ and Zahid is not the 2nd one.   

Did you mean Taylor is the first Taylor to win Ironman and Zahid is the 2nd Valencia to win it?  

And like Rosholt, I could see Zahid winning 3 titles in college.

David Taylor first one to win 4 straight ironman. Zahid 2nd to win 4 straight ironman titles

The Valencia brothers are the most fascinating case study in USA Wrestling right now. Anthony is clearly the explosive, offensive guy, not afraid to step into the senior US Open and take third. Buttt he wrestled 170 this year, so I don't know how he maintains 163 for the next 10 years. And he gets sloppy, as evidenced by his losses to Chandler Rogers and Junior Worlds last year. Zahid on the other hand is defensive wizard, conservative and methodical. It's really hard to beat people you can't score on, but I don't trust his offense just yet. Zahid was the more ballyhooed coming into high school, and his body will transition better to 86kg. He is also clearly thinking long game, staying down at juniors for now and really focusing on becoming the best at his age group. I have no idea which one will end up "better" in the long run and it doesn't matter. But it's interesting to me how different these two brothers are. Can't wait to see their development!

Makes no sense.

1. Anthony Valencia makes Zahid Valencia cry constantly and look like a joke.

2. Anthony Valencia broke Isaiah Martinez.  Easily.

3. Zahid Valencia defeated the guy who dismantled Bo Nickal.  Easily.

4. Bo Nickal beats Mark Hall. Easily.

5. Yet Anthony Valencia loses to Mark Hall?????

Snyder is a fluke.

More people need to shoot on him and exploit his slow reflexes.

Morgan McIntosh and Georgi Gogaev presented a blueprint on how to shoot on Snyder at will.

BraunMann your analysis would be more perplexing if everything you said happened at the same time, same weight class and same style. For example:

Anthony makes Zahid cry. Is this really true today? Never mind.

Anthony broke Imart. Absolutely. A year ago.

Zahid beat the guy who dismantled Bo Nickal. This weekend. Anyhow I think you got your defeat and dismantle mixed up. In taking about Bo here you are getting at that he beat Mark Hall consistently and in both free and folk. But he did it at a higher weight (Hall was up a weight) and it's been a year.

Mark halls beat Antony in folkstyle late in 2014 after previously losing to him. The logic of your post relies on people who beat other people being able to do it against consistently. But by that logic Hall would not have beaten A Valencia. So I prefer to assume that Hall improved and Zahid improved and Bo Nickal didn't, perhaps because of his injury. Regarding Martinez, Hall also beat him as did Nickal. So the fact that he wrecked the NCAA competition and was the first undefeated frosh champ since Cael and one of the only ones ever suggests that either he also improved or Valencia and Hall are just that good.

BraunMann your analysis would be more perplexing if everything you said happened at the same time, same weight class and same style. For example:

Anthony makes Zahid cry. Is this really true today? Never mind.

Anthony broke Imart. Absolutely. A year ago.

Zahid beat the guy who dismantled Bo Nickal. This weekend. Anyhow I think you got your defeat and dismantle mixed up. In taking about Bo here you are getting at that he beat Mark Hall consistently and in both free and folk. But he did it at a higher weight (Hall was up a weight) and it's been a year.

Mark halls beat Antony in folkstyle late in 2014 after previously losing to him. The logic of your post relies on people who beat other people being able to do it against consistently. But by that logic Hall would not have beaten A Valencia. So I prefer to assume that Hall improved and Zahid improved and Bo Nickal didn't, perhaps because of his injury. Regarding Martinez, Hall also beat him as did Nickal. So the fact that he wrecked the NCAA competition and was the first undefeated frosh champ since Cael and one of the only ones ever suggests that either he also improved or Valencia and Hall are just that good.

Who do you see from Minnesota rising up to stop Mark Hall once and for all?

BraunMann that wasn't my point. I don't see anyone from anywhere rising up to beat Mark Hall.

I was focused on what you might find perplexing about the win-loss relationships and assumed it was Bo Nickal. Mark Hall has lost before but Nickal has more or less owned Hall while Nickal isn't proving to be a world beater. 

While Hall is still wrestling primarily within his age group and therefore isn't doing things like winning senior freestyle events or placing in Midlands while still in college, his achievements in age group are piling up. Here's what I would like to see (selfishly and for no particular reason):

1. Mark Hall TF vs Nolf 2x 2015 Junior WTTs (ouch)

2. Mark Hall win 2015 Junior Worlds

3. Mark Hall undefeated 2016 Minnesota state champ, first ever 6x-er

4. Mark Hall go to college. Please, please don't go the Pico route (seems like not a worry, his parents seems very focused on him as a whole person and getting a better life, which by the way is wonderful to see; by the way, Pico's parents seem awesome too, don't get me wrong).

5. Mark Hall be the next undefeated 4x national champion after ... IMart. Call me sentimental butI I like records.

Reality check. Anyone winning NCAAs 4x is long odds. And this is the international board, so I will stop myself there.

I could not agree more.