Sign in to follow this  
treep2000

Zahid Valencia

Nickal just got over Mono so I wouldn't put too much into his performance in Turkey. 

I'm not doubting your claim.  But it seems ludicrous to spend the money to go half way around the world to wrestle when you just getting over a major illness like mono.  Wrestling with a cold is hard enough.  Were the flights non-refundable?  Hotels non-refundable?

Edited by SikeD

BraunMann that wasn't my point. I don't see anyone from anywhere rising up to beat Mark Hall.

I was focused on what you might find perplexing about the win-loss relationships and assumed it was Bo Nickal. Mark Hall has lost before but Nickal has more or less owned Hall while Nickal isn't proving to be a world beater. 

While Hall is still wrestling primarily within his age group and therefore isn't doing things like winning senior freestyle events or placing in Midlands while still in college, his achievements in age group are piling up. Here's what I would like to see (selfishly and for no particular reason):

1. Mark Hall TF vs Nolf 2x 2015 Junior WTTs (ouch)

2. Mark Hall win 2015 Junior Worlds

3. Mark Hall undefeated 2016 Minnesota state champ, first ever 6x-er

4. Mark Hall go to college. Please, please don't go the Pico route (seems like not a worry, his parents seems very focused on him as a whole person and getting a better life, which by the way is wonderful to see; by the way, Pico's parents seem awesome too, don't get me wrong).

5. Mark Hall be the next undefeated 4x national champion after ... IMart. Call me sentimental butI I like records.

Reality check. Anyone winning NCAAs 4x is long odds. And this is the international board, so I will stop myself there.

The MN guys have so much film on Mark Hall though - you'd think someone would rise up to do something to stop this guy.  Especially when they have a clear blueprint studying what Nickal did.

Just like the guy that stopped Cisneros from winning his fourth state title, and subsequently broke Cisneros from future success.

I think it would be better for USA wrestling if someone does something to stop overzealous parents like those of Mark Hall and Spencer Lee

Edited by BraunMann

SikeD it doesn't work that way. You can contract mono, no know it, get off the plane and then know it. Or you can get mono and feel you are on the mend, decide to go for it and have it get worse. Or maybe he's really that stupid.

Nickal was sick long before Turkey.  He lost a bunch of weight and pulled out of the US Junior Nationals the week before.

On the "stupid" comment, a trip to Turkey with USA Wrestling has more benefits than just the results.  

Ok BraunMann I will bite. The worst case I have ever heard of regarding overzealous parents was Todd Marinovich, aka the robo qb, the poster child or everything that is wrong with overzealous parents. Marinovich ends up a disaster, he is a substance abuser and so on. His dad is called the worst sports dad in history. The question is, is this the norm? Was there a right amount for papa Marinovich to push his kid? Another question is whose driving the truck? Is Hall's dad like Marinovich's dad, pulling the strings and calling the shots, or is Mark Hall the overzealous one and dad the enabler?

Ok BraunMann I will bite. The worst case I have ever heard of regarding overzealous parents was Todd Marinovich, aka the robo qb, the poster child or everything that is wrong with overzealous parents. Marinovich ends up a disaster, he is a substance abuser and so on. His dad is called the worst sports dad in history. The question is, is this the norm? Was there a right amount for papa Marinovich to push his kid? Another question is whose driving the truck? Is Hall's dad like Marinovich's dad, pulling the strings and calling the shots, or is Mark Hall the overzealous one and dad the enabler?

I just can't buy that Hall is willingly doing this rather than other things.

That's a good one, Heel. If someone's gonna be a troll, they should at least be original? I don't know, I kind of like BraunMann. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

As for overzealous parents, that's a tough one and in my view not a bad topic. It's hard to become a great high school athlete without supportive parents (not impossible, just hard). So the question is, what's the right balance between helping your kid by suggesting what it takes to succeed and then supporting them versus going too far?

You don't have to buy it one way or the other. Overzealous parent or not, it is none of our business. Let the kid's career play out. Find a more original troll schtick.

We deserve to know what Hall and Lee's parents are doing with them.

Unfortunately, these 'trolls' have a tendency to turn a specific and pointed post where rich "fan discussion" can ensue into some tangential one-liners that truly add no value to the thread.  So... 

• Is everyone entitled and "deserve" to express their opinion?  Yes
  • Is everyone else who is not trolling entitled to or obligated to defeat the troll at the troll bridge so that Dora can get to the Magic Mountain.  Yes (and yes, I have kids)

I think the point is this... everyone has the 'freedom of expression' on these posts, subject to the rules and regulations of the forum/board.  However, through this freedom of expression, you must also realize that you to NOT have 'freedom from consequences', and consequences could be the forum moderator booting you, or the rest of the forum's posters completely disregarding the trolls statements, or viciously attacking said troll to the point where they may become intellectually and emotionally incapacitated.  

On that note... thanks everyone for posting and sharing your thoughts on my initial post.  I even appreciate those like BraunMann who is attempting to throw out silly and inconsequential ramblings for the sheer sake of being a troll.  At least it stirs discussion, and it assigns a certain value of validity and credibility (or lack thereof) on that poster. 

And no... it's none of our business what Mark Hall's intentions are, nor his parents.  A wrestler of that calibre is clearly making their own choices, just like the decision to wrestle Hunter Stieber at NCAA's, etc. etc. etc.

Treep, first, you are a true diplomat and express your thoughts well. Second, you have young kids and a penchant for mixed metaphors. Dora has a magical castle and lives in a peaceful kingdom. If there were trolls, they would surely be pet trolls that purr and only think nice thoughts.