• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#1 Katie

Katie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

We all know Dan Hodge (http://angrymarks.com/?ArticleID=11044) and Dan Gable (http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2012/6/16/3089271/dan-gable-mma-wrestling-should-work-together-more-ufc-news) are fans of MMA. But this week we also found out Cael Sanderson is also an MMA fan (http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/penn_states_cael_sanderson_is.html). I suppose we could have guessed as much because he has already worked out with Wanderlei Silva. (Check youtube.)

In other news, on May 15 at Bellator 137, Darrion Caldwell made 135 and went on to beat fight veteran Rafael Silva.

On May 16 at UFC Fight Night 66, Mark Munoz retired with a win in the Philippines, and Frankie Edgar beat Uriah Faber -- which likely earned him a title shot.  

On May 24 at UFC 187, Chris Weidman finished Vitor Belfort in the first round to retain the UFC belt, and Daniel Cormier finished Anthony Johnson in the third round to win the UFC belt. Johnson was gracious in defeat, putting the belt on Cormier. It's also easy to be happy for Cormier. He's overcome a lot of adversity, and it's great he's now champion of the world. 

Edited by Katie, 24 May 2015 - 05:08 PM.

• WreslingSuperior likes this

#2 heelpick

heelpick

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:36 PM

Meh, I could take it or leave it.

#3 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:33 AM

How the heck did Caldwell make 135?  That must have been terrible. 

#4 Axe_Spartan

Axe_Spartan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:55 AM

11377219_10153271544521142_4588714424935

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

From Brazil

Twitter: https://twitter.com/sonsofMMA

#5 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,766 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:58 AM

How the heck did Caldwell make 135? That must have been terrible.

Prior day weigh-ins with the additional grace pound helps a lot.

#6 KTG119

KTG119

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:15 AM

11377219_10153271544521142_4588714424935

what were Lawler and Might Mouse's wrestling accolades? Did they wrestle beyond HS?

#7 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:29 AM

Cormier finally did not have a greatest ever in his way. The guy had Sanderson, Gatsalov and Jones standing in front of him and the championship. I never thought the poor guy would ever make it to the top. This probably was his last shot and he got it done, finally! Huge relief for him I'm sure. He must of thought he was cursed, ha:-) I mean who has the greatest of all time type guys standing in your way on three different occasions?

#8 Axe_Spartan

Axe_Spartan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:22 AM

what were Lawler and Might Mouse's wrestling accolades? Did they wrestle beyond HS?

I don't think they wrestled beyond HS, here's what I found:

About Lawler -> "Lawler was an All-State honors recipient in wrestling back in high school..."

About Demetrious -> "He placed third and second in Washington State's second hardest state championship (it has five) as a high school junior and senior respectively."  

"While Johnson certainly occupies rarefied air as an MMA wrestler, in terms of amateur wrestling credentials, his success only came on the in-state high school level."

Here he talks about his wrestling background -> http://www.mmawizard...f999c0f-18.html

Edited by Axe_Spartan, 26 May 2015 - 02:28 AM.

• KTG119 likes this

From Brazil

#9 armspin

armspin

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:42 AM

Agreed PRyan. He's been so close so many times. I was very happy to see him finally reach his ultimate goals. Great story.

Also enjoyed seeing the legend killer Wideman give a long overdue beating to Belfort. Can't wait to see a potential Weidman vs Rockhold fight. Both of them are great everywhere, but I think CW has more power and better takedowns and that will win it for him.

#10 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:54 AM

His problem in international wrestling was never really that there was one all time great (Gatsalov) ahead of him that he couldn't get past. That was one of his problems, but there were other guys he also couldn't beat. In MMA his only problem was Jones, glad to see him finally win a world championships and make some good money along the way. He's on TV regularly and has set up a future for himself as an analyst. Great for a guy who was broke when he started fighting. 

Cormier is underrated by a lot of people. People need to remember that he's past his physical peak and is a middle weight who's body just physically can't cut the weight. A ton of the MW fighters are way bigger than him in terms of frame, but their bodies can handle the cut. Look at him next to Weidman or his good friend Luke Rockhold. The guy was fighting and HW and now LHW with middle weight proportions. Considering all that it's very impressive what he's accomplished in MMA. 

Edited by Shiraz123, 26 May 2015 - 03:58 AM.

• WreslingSuperior likes this

#11 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:31 AM

Shiraz,

I was referring to the 04 Olympics when he lost to probably the best wrestler on the planet at the time. If Gatsalov is not there he is an Olympic champion probably-he still had the finals to win I realize that so that is debatable. Gatsalov is the greatest wrestler of our era-especially if he wins in 15 and 16. Now in reference to college Cael Sanderson is the greatest of all time and Cormier destroyed everyone that year except Cael of course and lost to him 3 times. And in the UFC Jones was on track to become the greatest ever and still could be if he gets his act together and Cormier wrecked everyone until he met Jones. But yes in international wrestling he did not dominate but was right there almost winning the ultimate prize at the 04 games. Just saying Cormier has had some bad luck falling short of his goals because he always seems to run into Phenom's!

Also a lot of people do judge him on his looks a lot. Dough boy is UFC champion I saw in one article. I think Lt heavy is his best weight honestly. He did wrestle 197 when he was 18 at Colby and wanted to wrestle at 197 at OSU. If he wrestles 197 at OSU he is easily an NCAA champion.  

So happy for him. Hopefully he stays humble.

Edited by PRyan2012, 26 May 2015 - 04:38 AM.

• GoNotQuietly likes this

#12 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:15 AM

He's def had terrible luck in terms of opponents. I just think it'd be interesting to see what a young Cormier who's body could actually cut weight would have done. Frame-wise he's similar in size to Yoel Romero, although not as good of an athlete as Romero is. He's so outsized against a guy like Jon Jones. If he'd entered MMA just a little bit earlier he'd have been a dominant champ in either HW or LHW. The guys fighting before Jones came along wouldn't have been able to handle him at LHW. He'd have beaten the HW guys too.  But in the end he did get the belt regardless. 

#13 Axe_Spartan

Axe_Spartan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

Gregor Gillespie just won his fifth straight fight on Ring of Combat 51, submitting George Sheppard in the first round by arm triangle choke.

From Brazil

#14 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:59 AM

Gregor is from the same area as Chris Weidman, right? Does he train with the same team? 

#15 Axe_Spartan

Axe_Spartan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:10 AM

Gregor is from the same area as Chris Weidman, right? Does he train with the same team? 

Yes, he is from the same area, but no, he trains at Long Island MMA, alongside with Dennis Bermudez (another UFC fighter).

From Brazil

#16 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:31 AM

and Sheppard was a HS state champion in Virginia ... he wrestled at NAIA Campbellsville for a spell.

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#17 Hubbard

Hubbard

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

Next time you feel old, watch Hendo's fight from last night.

#18 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:32 AM

Another NY Wrestler who trains w/ Gillespie, Bermudez, and Weidman is undefeated (3-0) Chris Wade.  Worth keeping an eye on.

#19 LkwdSteve

LkwdSteve

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:42 AM

Lance Palmer is a former wrestler AND is in recent  MMA news.

#20 armspin

armspin

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:45 AM

Is Palmer planning To go ufc soon or is he happy at wsof ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MMA, wrestling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users