Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Former wrestler makes bad

With all the high-profile wrestlers flying out of the closet lately (which is fine) and now this (which is not), I know I'm not the only one starting to wonder where in the hell this is all going to end? It doesn't matter if you regard him as "one of us" or not, he will be hung around our neck like a fat, creepy, kid-touching albatross.

What do you mean "all of the profile wrestlers flying out of the closet"? Only one that I know of made any kind of public announcement. As for Hastert, I don't view it as an indictment of wrestling, there are pedophile coaches in sports across the board. We as parents and other teachers or coaches have to be vigilant of red flags.

Mark Foley, Larry Craig, Dennis Hastert. I don't know if there's a trend here, but the party of "traditional marriage" is looking worse every year.

Going back there's plenty more of that "do as I say, not as I do" as well.

While Clinton was undergoing impeachment hearings for his Monica BJ, Newtie was having his affair, Rep Dan Burton had an illegit kid, Rep Hyde had had an affair, Rep Barr had had an affair,  and Rep Livingstone (who was going to be speaker), was cavoriting with a prostitute. Then came the "safe" choice of Hastert. 

Almost comical if it wasn't so pathetic.

Ohh, wrestling will be just fine. Our sport has survived literally hundreds of years. Issues have come and gone. I mean really…'Honest Abe' was a wrestler. A wiry leg man of sorts--yo.

Although, on the analytic side of this issue, Dennis (not typicaly referred to as denny Hastert) seemed like the real dealio. I suppose that was simply on the surface ? Or, perhaps Dennis is a good person ? A fine person ? Maybe a fine person who made some really inappropriate decisions ? We all may find out the answers to those questions.

I recall a wk-end at Northwestern…….it was the gala affair celebrating the 40th Midlands tourney. Hastert was the MC. We had a meet and greet, we talked, Dyann and I had dinner across from Mr Hastert. We e-mailed each other for a few years. 

------Looking at my scrapbook now, lots of cool pics of Denny/wrestlers/coaches. Also pics of some of the former Midlands champs, some of the greats of our sport. It was fun……seemed so pure (in nature).----------

Some of you seem incapable of distinguishing a pedophile from a homosexual.  Mike Pucillo "came out."  Sandusky, Hastert, Foley, et al., are serial pedophile predators.  Not even close to the same thing.

I agree.

There's a big difference between a man who sleeps with consenting adult women and a man who statutorily rapes young girls. Similarly, there is a big difference between a man who sleeps with consenting adult men and a man who statutorily rapes young boys. 

I know that distinction is not easy for everyone to grasp, but in my opinion that is the relevant distinction.  

With regard to Hastert's case in particular, the added issue is Hastert's anti-gay voting record in light of the apparent accusations against him. 

Edited by Katie

I agree.

There's a big difference between a man who sleeps with consenting adult women and a man who statutorily rapes young girls. Similarly, there is a big difference between a man who sleeps with consenting adult men and a man who statutorily rapes young boys. 

I know that distinction is not easy for everyone to grasp, but in my opinion that is the relevant distinction.  

With regard to Hastert's case in particular, the added issue is Hastert's anti-gay voting record in light of the apparent accusations against him. 

Yeah, Katie, with some regard to your last sentence…….this is somewhat puzzling.

This is not an anti-wrestling media smear, Hastert identified himself with wrestling frequently even after he was actually done being a wrestling coach.  (see Washington Post article)

Apparently he was wrestling coach at Yorkville for 15 years.( see the NYTimes article).  His memoir was subtitled something like "...lessons from forty years of coaching and politics". 

The federal indictment was for violating banking laws regarding all these cash transactions. 

One more crooked politician.  It is getting to be a redundancy. 

The political commentary on this thread is intellectually lazy.

The real political question is:  how did someone with Hastert's bio, regardless of political party, have millions in hush money laying around?

The political commentary on this thread is intellectually lazy.

The real political question is:  how did someone with Hastert's bio, regardless of political party, have millions in hush money laying around?

Where Hastert's money came from is actually not that complicated.  

• Hastert resigned from the House on 11/26/07.
  • Hastert became a big-time lobbyist for Dickstein Shapiro in or around 2008 or 2009. One can only assume he made mega bucks there. 
  • Individual A allegedly approached Hastert in 2010. 
  • Hastert allegedly paid Individual A money to keep quiet between 2010 and 2014. 

A 2010 article also said Hastert "commends $25,000 a speech." That same article also notes he had a $99,500 pension from teaching, the Illinois legislature, and Congress. Finally, that article listed other sources of income, including being an a corporate board.  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-02-17/news/ct-met-hastert-business-0218-20100217_1_house-speaker-dennis-hastert-chicago-mercantile-exchange-online-instruction

So I'm not surprised by how much money he had. 

Edited by Katie

Where Hastert's money came from is actually not that complicated.  

• Hastert resigned from the House on 11/26/07.
  • Hastert became a big-time lobbyist for Dickstein Shapiro in or around 2008 or 2009. One can only assume he made mega bucks there. 
  • Individual A allegedly approached Hastert in 2010. 
  • Hastert allegedly paid Individual A money to keep quiet between 2010 and 2014. 

A 2010 article also said Hastert "commends $25,000 a speech." That same article also notes he had a $99,500 pension from teaching, the Illinois legislature, and Congress. Finally, that article listed other sources of income, including being an a corporate board.  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-02-17/news/ct-met-hastert-business-0218-20100217_1_house-speaker-dennis-hastert-chicago-mercantile-exchange-online-instruction

So I'm not surprised by how much money he had. 

It wasn't a financial question.

It was a political question:  what exactly did Hastert do to become so rich?  He became an expert on how to spend other peoples' money.  The nearly obscene taxpayer-funded pension is gravy.

Today's news:

College Drops Hastert's Name

"Wheaton College dropped Dennis Hastert's name from an academic center for economics, government and public policy on Sunday, three days after the former US House speaker was indicted for allegedly evading bank-reporting requirements about money he paid to keep quiet his past behavior."

Wall St Journal, page A6 June 1 2015

It was a political question:  what exactly did Hastert do to become so rich?  He became an expert on how to spend other peoples' money.  The nearly obscene taxpayer-funded pension is gravy.

I think you just summed up Wall Street!

Hastert was already worth anywhere from 4 to 7 million dollars when he left Congress.  He was involved in a shady land deal involving earmarked funds (and who knows what else?).  Of course, he accumulated millions more after retiring from Congress as a lobbyist.

Strange how that happens. Ain't free enterprise wonderful.

Well, that's small town logic in a nutshell:

Are you a partner at a big law firm? Great, you deserve tons of money. 

Are you an officer at a big company? Great, you deserve tons of money. 

Are you a highly-skilled surgeon? Great, you deserve tons of money. 

Did you create an app that we love to waste time on? Great, you deserve tons of money. 

Are you really good at a sport? Great, you deserve lots of money. 

But then...

Do you run the worlds most powerful country? You deserve to live like a high school teacher.